Mystery any ideas ?!

jojane

Visit site
So we're do I begin, owned my boy for 5 years now he's 17 n a half now,had a few problems when he first came to me badly fitted saddle etc all witch got sorted.
He has regular physio we have been to the vets more times then I care to remerber over the years ' am trying to keep this short ;-) '
Had all legs X-ray ,scanned, moved vets once also,
All they come back with always is brusied soft tissue.
He has few old injurys all of witch he's had years don't bother him .
Anyway been grand for 6 months I had phyiso as I do a week ago n now he's not stepping under him self with his hind .
Am at my whits end , don't know we're to go from here with him,if I go to the vets it will be for X-ray's lameness work ups and I'll be know better for knowing again.
I must add he bruised his suspensiory ligament in that back hind,had time off etc.
Also another myserty now this will rack peoples brains I have never seen it before.. He rests his hind right and when he unrests he hobbles literally like he can't hold his weight then it's gone if you blink you miss it and it's not always again vets no one ever made anything of it,pyhsio has mentioned before it's a weakness..
Am just really looking for any info or advice I feel lost as what to do , sorry for the long post.
When I get going I can't stop lol any info greatfull :) xx also I have videos I can add

applecart14

Visit site
Also another myserty now this will rack peoples brains I have never seen it before.. He rests his hind right and when he unrests he hobbles literally like he can't hold his weight then it's gone if you blink you miss it and it's not always again vets no one ever made anything of it,pyhsio has mentioned before it's a weakness..

He may not be tracking up due to bone spavin in his hock, which can be easily treatable by an injection or fusion if more appropriate to his condition. The movement you describe when at rest sounds to me like a bit of arthritis pain, and the leg 'gives way' a bit as it hurts for a second.

If you are worried speak to your vet about bute which can be given short term to see if it makes any difference. You might like to consider using magnotherapy boots which can really make a difference to a horse and offer incredible relief.

PolarSkye

Visit site
He may not be tracking up due to bone spavin in his hock, which can be easily treatable by an injection or fusion if more appropriate to his condition. The movement you describe when at rest sounds to me like a bit of arthritis pain, and the leg 'gives way' a bit as it hurts for a second.

If you are worried speak to your vet about bute which can be given short term to see if it makes any difference. You might like to consider using magnotherapy boots which can really make a difference to a horse and offer incredible relief.

Just curious . . . are you a vet?

P

jojane

Visit site
Thanks for reply :) don't know much about bone spavin,what are the symptoms ?!
He was at the vets last year and had X-rays etc couldn't find anything other then brusied soft tissue and as for the ' hobble ' no one seems to know anything about it! lol x

Dobermonkey

Visit site
Re hobble: could his stifle be locking/catching momentarily? I've no experience of a locking stifle but just a thought

applecart14

Visit site
Just curious . . . are you a vet?

P

No I am not a vet - gosh I wish!. I am just a one horse owner with experience of bone spavin and interested in helping others with the experience I have gained from my six horses injuries and ailments!

I am just relaying what my vet said when I told him about my horses funny movement when asked to move from a stand still. The vet said it was due to stiffness and the athritic changes in him. Also relaying information in respect of my experience of hock fusion and my horse who underwent joint injections, Tildren and then fusion. Fusion was the best treatment for him.

I won't make a comment unless I have experience of the problem. Best that way.