Mystery pain in pony

Brooklyn

New User
Visit site
I have a welsh section A that lives out and has the option of coming into a barn when the weather is crappy - she shares a field with just one bigger horse and they run together.

They both have a haynet each in the evening and they are out grazing in the day.

She came into the barn a few days ago and was quite quiet which is unlike her, gave her some hay which she ate but was noticeably restless and kept wandering off from her hay to look out of the barn entrance and walking back to her hay again. I noticed she'd also been rolling as there was shavings all over her back and she'd also been rolling outside as she was muddy so shavings were stuck to her.

This went on for a day or 2 and by the 3rd day I went to the yard and saw her field mate in the field but she was in the barn - she neighed when she heard me coming and wasn't led down but was on her own in the barn.

I then decided to check her over properly as I'd only been concentrating on her hooves/legs incase she'd injured herself or had eaten a bit too much grass being a welsh i'm always on the lookout for lami signs.

She was noticeably uncomfortable on her flank, under her belly and around her back end either side of her tail, she tried to kick out a few times and tried to bite which she never ever does so obviously was in some pain - called the vet out immediately as i was concerned about colic. Vet came out examined her and said no signs of colic - she's been eating, drinking, passing stool and urinating, gut sounds are fine, so had some painkiller and said to see how she gets on.

She's till no better 3 days later - she's still on bute and shes still very unhappy about me touching her flank or belly or either side of her tail. She doesn't seem lame, she came galloping in from the field when she saw me coming this morning so clearly feeling a little better in herself but I can't figure out whats causing the pain. She's still eating,drinking, passing stool and urinating fine.

It's the same both sides so wouldn't be a kick or an injury, vet and I couldn't see any wounds,kicks, bite marks or anything. It's the lightest touch that sets her off, even my fingertips she can't seem to tolerate.

Any idea what else it could be? I noticed she's been a little gassy but I don't know if i'm just looking for things that were already there before.

Visit site
Sounds like she is in season.

My mare is currently in season (December is later than usual for her but it has been mild over here). It has been noticeably better since I put her on Agnus castus, she’s actually become snuggly and hardly grumpy for the first time, plus happy for me to groom and touch her.

The link might help you:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.equisearch.com/.amp/articles/mares-in-heat-19155

Brooklyn

New User
Visit site
Thanks - my initial thoughts were maybe she's in season but this is not normal behaviour for her when she's in season - she's not around any geldings so it's pretty late for her to be in season but i'll certainly give the agnus castus a try!

Visit site
I’m pretty sure the last season of the year is thought to be “the worst”. The Agnus Castus (chasteberry) seeds are cheaper to buy than the moody mare supplements (that are the same).

Fransurrey

Visit site
I'd still go with abdominal pain. Any chance she's eaten something she shouldn't or has access to something - neighbours throwing clippings over or similar? My mare used to struggle with her hind gut a lot on our previous grazing, especially in wet weather. Vet never found anything with her, either, but I managed her for HGA and she's been ok since. Not sure I'd introduce agnus castus if there's a possibility of inflamed gut, especially if you say this isn't normal for her seasons.