Mystery reoccurring cuts/irritation at back of fetlocks

SWE

Visit site
Anyone got any ideas? Horse gets reoccurring little sores at the crease on the back of her fetlock, almost like they'd have started off as little over reaches (but they weren't) but then got a bit fungally. Tried antibac cream with no joy, steroid cream cleared them within days but keeps coming back. She's not out so it's not mud fever, always dry legs after washing, she doesn't over reach, however it is just both fronts- hinds are fine. I'm just a bit puzzled. My only idea that I've seen recently is rats?! There are rats at the yard much to my disgust but it seems a bit high compared to what people have reported??

Any ideas?

PurBee

Visit site
Allergy to bedding?

The pics look like tiny bites raised with inflammation...so mites?

Its warm and moist in that crease so perfect for the little bitey bugs...

SWE

Visit site
Allergy to bedding?

The pics look like tiny bites raised with inflammation...so mites?

Its warm and moist in that crease so perfect for the little bitey bugs...
Good idea. Any ideas what youd treat with? Unfortunately switching bedding isn't an option so will have to be that I apply a barrier or something.

maya2008

Visit site
It's a plant. I think likely to be wild parsnip, but could be something else. You need to pick off the secretions like it's mud fever and apply tea tree, or the irritation will keep going for weeks. Then go through your paddocks and look for any plants that produce irritants when crushed/stood on/sap gets onto skin. We've had problems in the past with this. Only reason I know!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
As someone said above, cracked heels is likely, and if so needs treating with something like fuciderm to heal, then some horses need constant application of something like sudocrem to stop it reoccurring.

I'd be looking to boost skin condition, do you feed a mineral balancer with zinc in? I might start if you don't. And I'd stop washing the legs, let any dirt after a ride dry and brush it off.

Reactions: SWE

Carrottom

Visit site
If you can clear it up with the steroid cream then use one of the mud fever powders like Mddy Buddy powder as a barrier. They are much less messy than cream. Just rub in to dry legs, it helps to repel moisture and mud brushes of easily.

SWE

Visit site
It's a plant. I think likely to be wild parsnip, but could be something else. You need to pick off the secretions like it's mud fever and apply tea tree, or the irritation will keep going for weeks. Then go through your paddocks and look for any plants that produce irritants when crushed/stood on/sap gets onto skin. We've had problems in the past with this. Only reason I know!
Unless it's the bedding (chopped straw) it's definitely not plant related. She hasn't been out for a couple of weeks now and it's flared up again this week so nothing in paddocks unfortunately.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Common name is scratches and greasy heel. Clinically Pastern Dermatitis. All sorts of environments can cause it. Mites most common, bedding types, grass types and some feeds. There it no one common denominator, but one thing is for sure and that is if it gets a good hold of the horse you will have a struggle to control it and this is what you end up with174078959_489590872166401_6746411739388311217_n (1).jpg

This horse has just had 3 flare ups, one on a hind and this is a front. The sore area spread across the whole pastern crease. It was treated aggressively with steroid, anti b's, bute and SCP spray and frontline. As the area improved the SCP spray was replaced with Isaderm cream which is on going now.

OP, if you can't control the sores and they show any sign of worsening I would be speaking to your vet before trying any lotions and potions. Any greasy or oily potions used alongside improving weather due next week and the sun appearing, could easily make things a lot worse and potentially a LV case in its infancy.

I realise I am writing doom and gloom but if you can avoid what I have had to deal with you really want to.

Apercrumbie

Visit site
Looks like it could be mites. I also agree that a chat with a vet may be in order - once this kind of thing gets out of control it can be really nasty.

meleeka

Visit site
My mare had greasy heel (caused by mites originally). I struggled for ages to get rid of it. In the end came out for an abscess and prescribed anti bacterial shampoo daily, giving it a good scrub to remove scabs, then after drying thoroughly with paper towels, blue spray. It cleared it quickly and no reoccurrence

The shampoo is this one. Not cheap but really effective https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/...-e4737df8549c&istItemId=itxmxrpxm&istBid=tzwthttps://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/...-e4737df8549c&istItemId=itxmxrpxm&istBid=tzwt

Visit site
Hmmm, There’s something that just doesn’t make me think it’s pattern dermatitis/greasy heel, I’ve had two that have had it and my current mare has it and we are very nearly on top of it. It looks more like an irritation from something to me.

I don’t want to concern you but I remember a video on H&H from the US of a lady who’s horse kept getting nipped by rats, I’ve found the link but you have to be a paying member to view it (so I can’t see it myself).

https://www.horseandhound.co.uk/new...ed-rats-chewing-mares-hooves-in-stable-734698

bouncing_ball

Visit site

Annagain

Visit site
It could be diet related. We have one who gets this (although usually higher up) if he has any sugar. Cut out everything except hay/grass for two weeks and then re-introduce feed one thing at a time. We thought it was Alfalfa but he was fine with that but as soon as we added sugar, his legs went mad.

PurBee

Visit site
Good idea. Any ideas what youd treat with? Unfortunately switching bedding isn't an option so will have to be that I apply a barrier or something.

Initially, for mites, i’d slather on thickly aloe vera gel morning and evening - the mites wont survive living in the gel, so stops them biting, if thats what they are, and the gel is brilliant for healing all sorts of sore skin/cuts etc.

ETA: check further up the leg underneath longer hair for more tiny bites, as mites might transport themselves to a non-treated part of the leg. If mites are serious a specific mite-killing powder/wash might be needed.

Sometimes on hay you get what we call ‘chiggers’ - theyre clear/creamy tiny, almost naked to our eyes, little bitey mites that infest hay. Really hard to spot, you have to look very closely, then you see loads! Its not that common but i’ve had a couple of supplies in the past absolute loaded with these chiggers, even moving the bales brushing up against clothing and theyd be crawling looking for your skin. Got them on my face, neck and arms rolling round bales...they feel like lots of tiny needles piercing the skin as they bite, similar to stinging nettles. They left tiny raised bumps on my skin.

If it doesnt heal, continues to get worse, i’d suspect fungus/bacteria and use a anti-fungal, anti-bac. medicated cream, aswell as give/check levels of zinc/copper/selenium/vit E/ vit A in the diet to improve immune system/self-healing.

Last edited:
Reactions: SWE

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
This is left field but what arena surface are you riding on. Someone joined our yard because the new arena sand surface at the previous yard caused abrasions and cuts below and around fetlocks of the horses there.

SWE

Visit site
This is left field but what arena surface are you riding on. Someone joined our yard because the new arena sand surface at the previous yard caused abrasions and cuts below and around fetlocks of the horses there.
Rubber/sand mix, haven't changed surfaces in 3 years and this is a new ish thing so I doubt it's surface, worth asking though!

Vet going to review pics tomorrow so will update! I'm suspecting mites too now, but could well be proven wrong.

Big Bay Mare

Visit site
We struggled with this at our yard. A few horses got it and the general consensus was that it must have been some sort of a bacterial infection, as the only thing all the horses share has been the walker (individual turnout). Strangely, frontal legs only like your mare. We got it under control by applying Sudocream everyday. Made a huge difference within a few uses. As others suggested though, if it persists I would get the vet involved.