N Reg Horse Box. Am I mad?

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
SO I have finally found an affordable box. Only trouble is it is 23 years old!

It is a Mercedez 7.5 tonne box. It only has 50,000 Km on the clock (how do I check it has not gone round?)
It is plated till August with no advisories last time. I know the owner vaguley through PC and she has been out and about in it with no trouble for the past couple of years since I've known her. My YO has driven it recently doing vet runs and says it feels great to drive. Looks fine to my untutored eye. What do you think?

SammyDingle

Visit site
I would make sure you have the floor/walls checked and have a very good mechanic check it over. Brilliant it has run for years with no problems, but could mean it is due some.

A box of that age could have a multitude of problems, and i would suspect its gone round the clock on that mileage

You can also check its MOT history on the Gov website

conniegirl

Visit site
Mine is 5 years older than yours and has never let me down!
Just get it checked mechancally and get the floor checked!

PaddyMonty

Visit site
I would want to see it on a weigh bridge or at least get a look at the brake test report (has weigh on it). Old Merc boxes can be very heavy once converted. I've seen one with available payload of 100kg. :eek:

vam

Visit site
Mine is an F reg Cargo, I've had it 8 years and its having a bit of an overhaul. Not because it needs it but because I'm doing more stay away shows and I need to put hook up and few creature comforts in! I got it because it was in my budget and the chassis was rust free, floor was solid and the sides hadn't buckled.
Don't get me wrong I've had to do bits over the years and the cab step is finally sucumming to cargo rot but its still going and it gets me where I need to be, although slowly!
Get it thoroughly checked out and see what pops up. Some older lorries are in better condition than newer ones but they are often let down by their weight so I would not consider it without a weigh cert for it.

AFB

Visit site
I'd imagine it's gone round at least once at that age, unless it's been a horsebox since new it's highly unlikely to be only 50k!

MuffettMischief

Visit site
I think its a bit like anything, luck of the draw! Get it checked mechanically and get the floor checked. Check all previous MOT's for any scary advisories that may not have been done. We have an M reg box and its super but does cost a bit every plating as its old and things need doing. A recent huge pot hole has ruined some suspension parts and put a chip and crack in one of the discs for example, but thats just our terrible roads. I know a friend with a much much newer lorry than mine and she has spent more on it in a year than I have on mine in 4 years!

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
The big issue is finding a mechanic that understands the ancient technology within it and of obtaining the spare parts.

I don’t think you’ll have any problem I sold my J reg Mercedes 6.6t 2 years ago and I had no trouble getting parts for it or anything fixed. My mechanic loved it and said it would go on for practically ever. I would however be careful in checking for rust on the bodywork and floors etc. Mine was going around the driver and passenger doors which would have required considerable welding in time which if you can do yourself isn’t a problem but it’s costly to pay someone. Buyers father could do a lot of the maintenance and improvement. My horse was semi retired and it wasn’t worth the investment for me.

It never broke down over the 10 years or do me or my friend had it but did have a diesel leak from a perished line, battery went in cold weather and the power steering was the most difficult and costly to fix but replacement parts (used) were found for it.

turnbuckle

Visit site
Mileage 99.9% likely to be fantasy.

But that needn't be a killer.

You need to have it checked really thoroughly. First weighbridge cert, then a horsebox guy to check the body, then a lorry guy who has been in the trade for ever and understands old wagons.

They were very well built then, but parts may well be a problem - you never know, you might end up importing 2nd (actually 3rd) hand bits from Africa!

How cheap is it?

Asha

Visit site
Mines about that age, had it a couple of years, its a fab lorry. Whenever I take it for its MOT the mechanics all rave about it. Saying that the benefit of the older ones is that they have so few gadgets, so not as much to go wrong, and not as much to fail on ! Ive had to replace a starter motor, and a track rod something, all easily bought.

Just get someone who knows horseboxes to check it over. Mines got 303k km on the clock. Which seems about right for the age.

Breagha

Visit site
My OH is a HGV mechanic and loves the old Mercs and MAN/ERFs. (he is scania trained so they are his first love). He always said if we get a lorry he would like an older one of the above. Mileage shouldnt be a problem if you think of some of these lorries that go up and down the country, the go round the clock several times.

If I was to buy a lorry my only advice would be to get it checked say 6 monthly and that would save on a bigger bill at MOT time.

Ruby's Mum

Visit site
The only way to know if it's been clocked is if it has FSH with recorded mileage, so ask to look at the service book.

Not actually true, OP - You can check the MOT history of any vehicle for MOT tests done from 2005 onwards, very easy to do: https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history I believe there is a similar site for HGVs. It will show you the mileage on each MOT from 2005 so will tell you what the mileage actually is as there is very little chance a 23yr old vehicle will only have 50k on it.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
My merc is an L reg-there is a recent thread about it-its been totally reliable and truck mechanics love it-if you can drive it, get it checked and buy it. Typical merc quirks are pokey brakes and an interesting gear box but out of the older boxes, they are the ones people seem to rate mechanically. It's not quick but I know it can get me there.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Thanks everyone. I have got a mechanic coming on Friday. He is the yard owner's father's mechanic and has been fixing their ancient wagons fpor decades! So he should be very good. Fingers crossed it passes the "vetting"!

What do you think a fair price would be assuming it is mechanically sound. Living all looks great and floors/ramps are solid.

Louby

Visit site
They are fab wagons!! Ive got an L reg and as Motherofchickens says they are a bit quirky to drive, ie the upside down gears and brakes, saying that my brakes arent as keen as the older Merc I used to own but you do get used to it. I wouldnt worry about the mileage, wagons are built to last and do thousands of KM's. I was told years ago on here that the mileage of most of the older trucks, pre digital are not correct as tacho heads are changed due to faults etc so what is showing is often not what is right. Wear to steering wheels, pedals the drivers floor is a tell tale sign of higher mileage than shown. If this wagon is what you are lookig for, i a sound condition and the right price I dont think you can go far wrong, plus they really hold their value as they dont seem to rust quite as much as the older equivelants. Oooooh exciting

SpringArising

Visit site
Not actually true, OP - You can check the MOT history of any vehicle for MOT tests done from 2005 onwards, very easy to do: https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history I believe there is a similar site for HGVs. It will show you the mileage on each MOT from 2005 so will tell you what the mileage actually is as there is very little chance a 23yr old vehicle will only have 50k on it.

But that's only for 2005 onwards - it could have been clocked any time before that.

Ruby's Mum

Visit site
But that's only for 2005 onwards - it could have been clocked any time before that.

Yes obviously, that why I explained it only covers MOTs from 2005 as it will give her a closer indication as to what the mileage may be, it may never have actually been clocked and most likely have just gone around the clock once/twice/more.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site

It is a Mercedez 7.5 tonne box. It only has 50,000 Km on the clock (how do I check it has not gone round?)
It is plated till August with no advisories last time. I know the owner vaguley through PC and she has been out and about in it with no trouble for the past couple of years since I've known her. My YO has driven it recently doing vet runs and says it feels great to drive. Looks fine to my untutored eye. What do you think?

Age is a factor but so is your budget, I would get a horsebox mechanic to give it a once over before you sign anything.

Farmer Chalk

Visit site
As others have said the most important concern of that vehicle to me would be its payload....it was made in an era where they were built with scant regard for weight saving....

You should get it weighed or see if it has been weighed at its plating....sometimes you can see the weight on the brake testing sheets... this is crucial because you have to consider the weight of the lorry once it’s loaded with horses , tack, water, and yourselves.....obviously that total final figure can’t be over 7.5 tonnes!

Lots of the older boxes were close to 6.5-7tonnes unloaded! DVSA have woken up to this now and if stopped will direct you to the local weighbridge where they will cause you a world of pain if overloaded.

Landcruiser

Visit site
I have an L reg Leyland Daf with 160000 Km (99,000miles) on it, it's always been a horsebox and I have the MOTs going way back so I know it's correct. It's mechanically sound, reliable, no rust on the cab at all, but yes, very heavy and slow. It'll be on the market soon if anyone's wanting one ;-)

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
As others have said the most important concern of that vehicle to me would be its payload....it was made in an era where they were built with scant regard for weight saving....

You should get it weighed or see if it has been weighed at its plating....sometimes you can see the weight on the brake testing sheets... this is crucial because you have to consider the weight of the lorry once it’s loaded with horses , tack, water, and yourselves.....obviously that total final figure can’t be over 7.5 tonnes!

Lots of the older boxes were close to 6.5-7tonnes unloaded! DVSA have woken up to this now and if stopped will direct you to the local weighbridge where they will cause you a world of pain if overloaded.

My J Reg Merc 6.6t had nearly 2 tonne of payload. I think it's builds like Oakleys that gave lots of fancy unnecessary stuff and panelled sides that have poor payloads. Mine was built by McNeills in Hampshire, Ive seen a lot of their builds at shows still going strong.

But yes always check payload as a matter of course.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site

I doubt if the mileage is correct, 50,000km equates to 31,250 miles so it would be 1,258 miles per year? It would have started off as a normal lorry & would probably have done at least 20-30k per year prior to conversion to a horsebox. You need to check over the lorry floor & as has been mentioned put it on a weigh bridge because Mercedes have a very heavy chassis so you need to check the ulw so you will know what you can legally carry. Additionally speak to a lorry mechanic regarding what wears on that particular lorry & also the availability of parts on a 23 year old lorry. If you can't get parts then it's not worth having.

It could be a useful lorry but there are many checks to make before you commit to buying. Be careful!

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Payload 1600
Weights 5.8 tonnes

Owner's dad is a mechanic and HGV MOT inspector so it should be well maintained!
Getting very excited now. I never thought I'd be able to afford a lorry and suddenly this one popped up on my FB timeline and it seems possible after all......

Ruby's Mum

Visit site
I am sure you will but just as you are very excited, don't be swayed by someone's profession (mechanic/mot tester), claiming this and that. I am sure they are genuine but there is every chance they are not (regardless of their profession!). I just know how excited I get and hubby has to be the logical one and makes sure everything is as it's claimed to be!

I hope it all works out super for you and you get your new wheels!

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Thanks for the advivc! The mechanic I am using is independent (not the same mechanic as the owner's dad) and I am sure will be more than able to see through any dubious claims! But I also think if my dad was a mechanic he would make sure my box was safe and roadworthy. so it just suggests a box that is likely to have been well looked after. We shall see.....

Ruby's Mum

Visit site
Fabulous stuff! Just wanted to try to be the voice of reason ;) sounds as though you have everything well planned and fingers crossed for you all goes well, exciting times! :)

Farmer Chalk

Visit site
Excellent! Well done!
You could take the kitchen sink with you as well with that payload! We need photos of course with the happy owner and their new truck!

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Well my mechanic said it needed new brake pads and had an oil leak - possibly just a seal but without taking it in for a proper look he could not tell. He said it was a good lorry for age but he advised not driving it till those repairs were done. I fed back to the owner saying I was still interested but would want the work done first to make it roadworthy. She has not managed to sell it as it stands so...... we have agreed the sale!! The lorry is in for repairs now and then will be MOTed to be sold with a 12 month MOT. I think I might be getting a lorry......:D:D:D:D