Nail bind lameness?

MJ_1993

Visit site
Hey, looking for some experiences, my horse went pretty 'footsore' a few hours after shoeing, checked him out, he was hopping lame on the hard circle, uncomfortable on soft but a fair bit better. Rang the vet and she said based on the fact he's just been shod, get the farrier back out and see what he thinks - farrier came back, very unhelpful, said it was just timing when he went lame, so got the vet back and she was certain it is shoeing related, so another farrier came out (could only get him a week later) and said nail bind in both fronts, no sign of abscess horse was very sore to re shoe and farrier kept the nails fairly frontal to ease his discomfort.

Waited 4 days to re check him and he has improved on a hard circle a fair bit but still real lame, how long does it normally take for Nail Bind to get better? Bearing in mind it was there for over a week.
Am going to call the vet back if still lame 7 days after nail bind discovery but was after some personal experiences on how long they've been lame for before?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I had it happen once, I travel to the farrier, she was sound on the way onto the box to come home, lame as she got off. She was turned round, farrier stayed at the forge until I got there, shoe removed the same day, she was still a bit sore.

Tubbed with Epsom salts twice a day, poulticed over night, turned out, sound in a couple of days, re-shod. Good to go! No problem afterwards.

I don't know about if they have been left longer as I have never dealt with that.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Was the horse actually pricked with the nail rather than the nails being 'close'? A prick will take longer to come sound. Do check with your vet if you are worried.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Can you get the horse into the sea or river anywhere this would give relief .
Like amymay I think you need to talk to the vet again sooner rather than later .

Carrottom

Visit site
I am surprised that the vet didn't remove the shoe if she thought that was causing the lameness.
I would monitor improvement daily, but no harm in talking to the vet in the meantime (I assume she doesn't know that you couldn't get the farrier out for a week).

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Your farrier should have removed the shoes to allow a dry poultice for a couple of days. And then come back and re-fitted. And the vet certainly should have, failing that.

If the horse is still lame, get the shoes off, keep on a nice deep bed and dry poultice. You should also contact your vet for some further advice and bute as required.

I would make all these arrangements to happen tomorrow.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Your horse was shod, if you are in the UK, at a time of unprecedented high temperatures and early grass growth, and has got better now the weather is cold again.

I would act on the possibility that the first farrier is correct and this horse actually has laminitis, until such time as you can prove that isn't the case.

Bilateral nail bind is pretty uncommon.