Nail bind/prick

monkeymad

Visit site
My horse went to bed sound on Fri evening, on Sat morning was very lame. She had been shod a week previously and sound. She was abcess lame, so I poulticed and kept her in for the weekend. Nothing came out onto poultice, the hoof was warm, but not hot, and altho still lame not the abcess sort of lameness she had been on the Sat morning. Farrier came on Monday and took off shoe and there was black gung coming from a nail hole. Horse was policed for next 3 days, although not much came out, and 're shod. She is still not sound, 3 weeks later. I will obviously be getting vet and suspect an x Ray is needed. She is not hopping lame, she is sound in walk but in trot still takes lame strides. So, after that essay, can bruising from a nail bind/prick take this long and still cause mild lameness? Thanks.

applecart14

Visit site
My horse went to bed sound on Fri evening, on Sat morning was very lame. She had been shod a week previously and sound. She was abcess lame, so I poulticed and kept her in for the weekend. Nothing came out onto poultice, the hoof was warm, but not hot, and altho still lame not the abcess sort of lameness she had been on the Sat morning. Farrier came on Monday and took off shoe and there was black gung coming from a nail hole. Horse was policed for next 3 days, although not much came out, and 're shod. She is still not sound, 3 weeks later. I will obviously be getting vet and suspect an x Ray is needed. She is not hopping lame, she is sound in walk but in trot still takes lame strides. So, after that essay, can bruising from a nail bind/prick take this long and still cause mild lameness? Thanks.

Sometimes you can get a haematoma in the foot and unless there is a big enough hole to allow the blood to come out the pressure will continue to increase. When a horses sole is bruised the blood vessels underneath become damaged, which causes bleeding. Sometimes a haematoma occurs (which is similar to a blood blister we can get under our nail). Because the sole of the foot doesnt expand the pressure will build up and cause pain resulting in lameness. Sounds like the farrier needs to have a dig about and open up the hole again. This is what happened to my horse and it took the vet slicing bits of sole off with the horse clearly in a lot of pain, before he got to the area, the relief was instant and the blood literally dripped out, it was horrible. Then I hot poulticed for two days and then dry poulticed using a mixture of sugar and iodine mixed into a porridge like consistency. The iodine fights infection and keeps the area clean and the sugar helps to dry the area up and harden the sole of the foot. The whole treatment took 10 days the first time and then 8 days the second time. The horse hasn't had one since, this was about two 1/2 years ago now.

My horse lost a shoe last Friday and a nail went through his sole from the side of his foot as he continued to canter buck and gallop on the shoe on the lunge when it became loose before it came totally off, and the nail went from the side of his foot into his sole. I hot poulticed within 20 mins and then repeated the following day. Nothing came out and the shoe went back on yesterday afternoon less than 72 hours later, the horse is completely sound but I feel I have been lucky and wonder if something will develop in due course.

Last edited:

monkeymad

Visit site
Thanks applecart. I am hoping there is maybe still some bruising trying to escape from the hoof, but she isn't really that lame - I presume the build up of a haematoma would result in a very hot hoof and increasing lameness? Whereas her hoof is just very slightly warmer and the lameness is more of a niggling unsoundness. I will wait until after the holidays and then speak to the vet about an x Ray - at least she has chosen a convenient time to take an

monkeymad

Visit site
Oops! As I was saying, before my kindle decided to do it own thing, she has chosen a convenient time of the year to take an enforced holiday!

applecart14

Visit site
Whereas her hoof is just very slightly warmer and the lameness is more of a niggling unsoundness.

Yes she would be visibly lame with a haemotoma, or at least my boy was which is why I called the vet out. He was worse in trot, not so bad in walk from what I remember. Such a relief to know all it was, was this, although bad enough at the time. Hope its nothing serious MM.