Naked Oats vs. Propell plus??

Hattikins

Visit site
Hattie has a naturally laidback temperament and very little winds her up or gets her excited. For the last 7/8weeks she's been back in work and competing (eventing - going back up to PN level next weekend) she's been on 1/3scp of naked oats a day but it doesnt seem to be making the slightest bit of difference to her.

Did a combined training today and her dressage was perfectly ok but it lacked sparkle and forwards thinking. We are certain she hasnt got a virus or anything, as this is her usual behaviour but today was particularly bad and we were wondering whether it would be better to up the naked oats or to put her on propell or redcell to give her a boost?? As of this evening ive upped her oats to 3/4scp a day between two feeds but was wondering whether something like propell would be a better solution?

Thoughts please
grin.gif
thank you!

pootler

Visit site
I tried Saracen Speed Mix on my super laid back horse (at home). We ended up doing wheelies on his back legs when he saw an old lady with an umbrella whilst hacking out. This was very out of character so I put it down to the mix!!! Needless to say I took him straight off it.

http://www.saracen-horse-feeds.co.uk/products/32299756/performance-mix/

Forgot to say it was recommended to me by a lady at my yard who uses it on her lazy Advanced Medium dressage horse as it has helped to give him some oomph.

Hopefully wont have such a dramatic on Hattikins but might give her some more sparkle!

Hattikins

Visit site
thanks for that Pootler
smile.gif
On the advice of Saracens last year we put her on their sport horse mix and it was a HUGE mistake! She was great to ride but think she reacted to the Barley in it and it drove her loopy to the point of being dangerous to handle of the ground! so we had to take her off it!

Dont know what the speed mix contains though? will have to look!

lucemoose

Visit site
Propell deffo, some types the oats will just not touch them and either a boost juice (haha) or a change of feed works. If she gets fruity on a sport mix then perhaps the spillers slow release pencils?or even the instant sparkle ones?

Folara

Visit site
Have you tried Tiger Oats? They are specifically grown for horses and are different to normal oats. I use them for Gen, it gives him more energy but none of the stupidity.