Name for my German wire haired pointer

JumpingJacks

Visit site
Just reserved a 5 day old German wire haired pointer bitch. It will be my partners new worker. Any name suggestions ? I quite like the idea of a German name for a German dog . Thanks in advance I'm very excited

GoblinPony

Visit site
Are you after an actual human name or a nice meaningful word in German?
Random suggestions off top of my head: Helga, Gretchen, Lorelei, Brunhilde, Astrid (although the latter, admittedly, is more Scandinavian than German). Or, maybe, think of something like Fräulein, which means 'Miss' (äu is pronounced as oy). You can also have fun rummaging through dictionaries and looking up words you like the sound of. :)
Good luck, and enjoy your new puppy!

Alec Swan

Visit site
I hope that I'm not going to be too unpopular here, but I reckon that most German Girl's names, are rather heavy and cumbersome, to the English ear. Mostly, working gundogs are given short and relatively quick names, and often single syllable, too.

Alec.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
I have a Dax, not intentionally named for the German stock exchange but that fits both German and short 'n sweet criteria for a gundog. :)

Anka, Britta, Mischa, Greta, Nena, Blitz, Heidi.

GoblinPony

Visit site
Oh, by the way, there was a mare at my old yard called Froh, which means 'joy'. It's German, has a nice meaning and is conveniently short. But I have to agree with Alec, German is not exactly the loveliest sounding language around (no offence to all the German speakers out there).

Bellasophia

Visit site
My German Rottweiler was called Yvette which we shortened to Evie,....her sister was called Lisl,which I also liked.
I also like the name Agnese,Aggie for short,but it's an Italian name.
do you have pics of your new pup,they are such a beautiful breed!

JumpingJacks

Visit site
Yes I think you are right it's hard to choose something as they are mostly long and harsh . Like Alec said it would need to be shortened to help when working . I quite liked ebba can't remember what it meant but it would shorten to eb or Una is quite nice. I really wanted a dog called fern but now I have seen her she doesn't look like a fern as silly as it may sound .

I would love to upload a picture but not sure how to do this off my iPhone ?

gunnergundog

Visit site
Ella, Edda, Una, Seide, Sahne, Alina, Vara, Vora, Ester, Pia, Orla, Frayja, Rixa, Katja, Elka, Dixie, Flora, Yola, Anka, Fahra??

Alec Swan

Visit site
I met a girl once, called Edda, or it may have been Adder or Udder, I'm not entirely sure! Otherwise, G_d, there are some excellent suggestions there. Is Dixie of German origin? It's a nice name, whether it is, or not. Elka too would be about right, and would still make sense when it's shortened. Katja when shortened would be Kat(ch) almost, Frayja could be Fray, the list goes on.

There you are J_J, some excellent suggestions from G_d.

Alec.

gunnergundog

Visit site
Is Dixie of German origin? It's a nice name, whether it is, or not.

Alec.

Those are just names from German dogs I've owned, known or that appear in the pedigree of them. Dixie was a Hege-Haus bitch; think it is more American in origin though.

If we're moving onto non-German names I've also had a Tas, as in Tasmanian-She-Devil, and a Gizmo that were wires. Tas was going to be a Bramble, but very quickly got renamed! :D