Name one thing every tack room has....

nikkimariet

Visit site
We have the spiders and that's about it! Have had a number of good tack room clear outs recently and either gifted or sold all the junk!

Auslander

Visit site
Oh dear. I'm clearly a neurotic horror! My tackroom has saddles, bridles and plastic boxes. If anything is left out, I give people three days warning, then I confiscate it, and demand wine or chocolate as a ransom!

Xanthoria

Visit site
Expired medications.

Non-waterproof turnouts.

Bits in a size that don't match any horse you have right now.

Thing you pull out, realize one part is missing, and put away again thinking you'll get that part, and reuse the thing. Like: leg straps on a rug.

One bell boot in a wacky colour that has no matching friend...

Riding gloves with holes in the fingers... dressage whip with a broken tip or missing lash... sheepskin pad that a mouse chewed through...

Ugh!

Reacher

Visit site
More spiders here (sorry chinchilla!)
And half empty bottles of stuff.
Is no one owning up to a surplus of matchy matchy ! ;)

Cowpony

Visit site
Masses of half used bottles of shampoo, because I keep forgetting I already have some as they slide down my box out of sight.....

Dubsie

Visit site
100s (it seems, probably only about 10-15 of each) hoof oil brushes, hoof picks, feed stirers, short sparkly whips and all the other things small children win at local shows/gymkhanas. The lead ropes all got used up by First Horse who was a nutter for breaking them. Broke very single one of the spares, bar the very last one which is still going strong 4 or 5 years later. She suddenly stopped. Did she know it was actually the very last one? Or was the clip on that one stronger than all the rest?

Visit site
This thread seems to have solved the "where have all the hoof picks gone?" question. It seems the migrate on mass to other tack rooms! :D

They migrate en masse to other tack rooms for holidays, fall in love, marry, have kids and then return, having multiplied considerably. Doh. :D But only years after their original owners have moved out!

Last edited:
Visit site
Crickey I have more bits of tack, saddles, rugs, boots etc than I could ever possibly need! But what is the one thing I can't find?!?! Flints snaffle! Not used in 6 years but I have never sold or thrown anything out in that time either so it's obviously gone on holiday with the hoof picks!

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Old manky nylon reins and girths; from my "pony" days during the 1970's, just can't bear to get rid of them, shows how long in the tooth I am!

Also...... my first/old pony's eggbutt snaffle bit, stirrup irons, and my old velveteen-covered riding cap that is prehistoric, but by heck I've never had a riding hat since that was soooohh blessed comfy as this one, could go hunting and wear it all day and not even know you had it on. In those days if you had a tumble and fell on your noddle you were just propelled back up into the plate and were expected to just ride on without snivelling about it - as long as the hat looked OK then it was just slapped it back on your head and off you went! Those were the days.....

shanti

Visit site
Rugs! I live in a part of Australia that is never cold enough to use winter rugs, during summer I will occasionally user a fly sheet if it gets really hot........ I own 43 rugs.