Name two useful things ...........

skinnydipper

Visit site
On the back of another thread.

Name 2 useful commands, not including recall which is a given.

For me, off the top of my head, it would be:

Wait. Which is stop what you are doing, wherever you are and await further instruction. Useful if you can't see ahead.

Leave it. I am not paying a fortune in vet bills every month for him to then go and eat a rotting corpse.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Down at distance. Any time, any place, anywhere, no matter what speed the dog is doing. It has applications (formal send out with down) but is also a literal lifesaver.

Barking (at me) on command. If I hear a noise outside or am not sure about a dodgy character on up the path, it can be useful....

meleeka

Visit site
“This way” my JRT stays on a long line at the yard as she has selective hearing loss when there 🙄 and she’s always getting the lead wrapped round things. She follows a finger and “this way” to untangle herself so I don’t have to keep undoing the lead.

I agree with the posters above that “leave it” is vital so I won’t repeat, but “here” is a good one for me, pronounced “EE-er” when there’s a mouse/spider/crane fly that I don’t want to deal with. I think it’s my dogs favourite command too :)

TGM

Visit site
As above, "leave it" is a useful one with a whippet who likes to forage whilst on a walk!

"Where are your manners" means walk nicely and don't pull, even if you have seen a squirrel running up the lane.

"Lie down" was one of the first commands I taught and is now her default behaviour when she wants something, and is also very useful when elderly relatives come visiting and don't need an excited young dog leaping around.

meleeka

Visit site
Slightly tongue in cheek, as I am clearly very lazy and don't tend to 'train' my dogs as such, but 'get down!' is a key one if I ever want to sleep on my own bed..... :p Flick does it too of course, I just don't have a recent picture of her :)

View attachment 26811View attachment 26812
My command is “off” but oddly my dog thinks I mean “begrudgingly move over a foot”.

{97702}

Visit site
My two have their leave command (letting go of balls/toys/sticks) in different languages. My neighbours are probably now used to me roaring one or the other, before uttering 'oh ffs, wrong dog....'
They're not dissimilar-sounding words, but neither answers to the wrong one :p

So one dog speaks English and the other Irish? :p

Only joking, I know it's German really :) :)

skinnydipper

Visit site
Slightly tongue in cheek, as I am clearly very lazy and don't tend to 'train' my dogs as such, but 'get down!' is a key one if I ever want to sleep on my own bed..... :p Flick does it too of course, I just don't have a recent picture of her :)

Sight hounds are indispensable in winter, when it is cold just add another dog to the bed.

Clodagh

Visit site
Stop whistle, usually I am going wrong more than the dog so if they stop for a minute I can get myself sorted. And wait as it means I can go and see whats happening before you get in there.

Most ridiculous thing I say is 'Are you heeling?' as that means you aren't so why don't I just say 'heel'? BTW the dogs say they are heeling but I am walking too slowly to keep up!

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Stop whistle and "Dead" (leave that)

Yeah, that's what I use for drop it too. 'kill it' means 'shake vigorously' 😁

But since my dogs are just funny little companion critters, my two most useful commands are 'gimme five' (self explanatory) and 'get the door' (for when I'm too lazy to get up and push the door to)

skinnydipper

Visit site
If others are going to cheat then I will too.

On your bed. Useful on the rare occasions I hoover because otherwise he is always where I want to be.

cbmcts

Visit site
Shifty, was originally shifty bum 20 plus years ago and now works on dogs, horses, OH but not the cat of course.

Put it back you thieving b@stard...the dog pinches things and dances around if he feels ignored :)

Littlefloof

Visit site
"Untangle" for when the dozy bitch has stepped over her lead.
"Cuddle" for when the bedroom is cold. (She prefers her bed to mine, unless I'm out, in which case my bed is fair game).

Picture of an overnight ferry trip between Germany & Sweden in a "dogs permitted" cabin, because we can.20171217_212800.jpg.

satinbaze

Visit site
“Mine” used when playing tug goes to indicate game is over and toy will be swapped for a treat.
“Seek seek” go and find your toy. I’m not going to pick up the ball you have dropped.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
So many!

Sit up when I’ve gone to plant a dummy and Zak decides to lie on the game bag: I like that he does this when I’m at a distance.

Look up which makes him get on his hinds to search for high up dummies. Impressive.

Ah is the release word so he lets go of whatever.

Is there fly makes them search for said fly.

Wees and poos has them flying out the door.

Leave it is the most important command, it saved a dog when it came pelting over to say hello.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
leave it

all done (when we're playing/training and I want to finish)

get a wriggle on- pee now please

find it

wait

slowly (please dont pull me over down this shingly slope/ditch/drop as I dont have 4WD) if we have harnesses and lines on. sometimes works!

monte1

Visit site
Stop whistle and "Dead" (leave that)

these are also my two most important ones,
"Dead" works perfectly with all three and they will spit out whatever they have immediately even at distance- very useful when they find a manky bit of bird or rabbit !!
i didn't even train it to my lab, as a pup, she watched my spaniels and copied the command :)