names for dun mare

Tuffles 23

Visit site
Truffles is a good name....but think how silly you would look if you'd called her Dunalina or gon-n-dun-it.

She came with her name Tuffles but my best friend can not for the life of her remember her name and has always called her Truffles :) and i don't care if i look silly and i do like gon-n-dun-it as she usually has :D
But you are right she is not Dun on her passport it says Golden Dun :D

the watcher

Visit site
Passport issuers (and the vets who fill in the descriptions) are under strict instructions as to what colour descriptions can be used, they certainly shouldn't have accepted 'golden dun'

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
For some reason single cream connies keep getting called dun & they call perlinos blue eye whites.

fainting-smiley.gif

Tuffles 23

Visit site
Passport issuers (and the vets who fill in the descriptions) are under strict instructions as to what colour descriptions can be used, they certainly shouldn't have accepted 'golden dun'

Yep very odd but that is what it says and she is 24 years old so very old paper work which has been updated by me but the colour could not be changed .

BigBuck's

Visit site
I try very hard to call buckskin horses "buckskin" but it doesn't come naturally. I'm an old-timer and in my youth anything yellow with a black mane and tail was called dun. The picture of a yellow horse with a black mane and tail in all my Handbook-of-the-Horse type books was captioned "dun". Buckskin was a (gasp, shock horror) Americanism. So be patient with us oldies who have to learn a different terminology, all you whizzy up-to-date colour geneticists :D

And to the topic in hand:

Jasmine/Jazz - we have a jasmine shrub in the garden with lovely golden yellow flowers

Dusty, if she is a bit sooty

Shamrock, because she's Irish

Connie, because she is one and because there is con-fusion :D over her colour

Juno - "juno what colour this pony is?"

I'm getting silly now :D

kerrieberry2

Visit site
I have a dun conny x tb called kelsey, was going to get another last year, but the owners decided not to see at 7months, but I waas going to name the baby Minnie if I got her! because she'd have been a mini version of kelsey haha!

instead I ended up with a conny x tb gelding, whos a beast

RutlandH2O

Visit site
BB - I completely understand. :)

For anyone who wants to read a nice starter on horse colours with lots of photos, this is a good place to start.
http://www.whitehorseproductions.com/ecg_basics2.html

You'll also see (from looking at the site above) that Sprinter Sacre is a lovely example of a Seal Brown and is not bay or black.
Sprinter-Sacre-wins-the-T-008.jpg

Faracat knows of what she speaks...I've been trying to commit the whitehorseproductions info to memory, and just today, actually. It is so informative.

For the 'dun' mare...Dun and Dusted='Dusty'

Last edited:

trottingon

Visit site
Well I'm an oldie too. As far as I'm concerned Buckskin is for cowboys, yellow with dark brown or black mane and tail is a Dun, anything not quite white is a Cream, and "Seal Brown"???? Jeez, that's just feckin ridiculous!!!!!

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Not ridiculous at all Weatherby's have been calling that colour brown years before it was proved to be different from bay genetically.

Stick in the mud. :p ;)

devonlass

Visit site

That sounds like a perfect choice colour wise at least!!

I had a beautiful bay/yellow dun filly who was the love of my life (had to be PTS at 4 yrs old sadly),but she was called Katie so nothing to do with colour.Suited her though,maybe there is a name that will suit yours and will just come to you at some point,colour related or not??

erwina

Visit site
It says in the breed standards of the Irish Connemara pony association that connemaras can be dun? Have 2 dun connies

whisp&willow

Visit site
It says in the breed standards of the Irish Connemara pony association that connemaras can be dun? Have 2 dun connies

They call them dun and will continue to do so, but the colour is in fact caused by a different gene, so they are truly buckskin, and not dun. :)

My mare is buckskin, although passported as dun, as I never knew the diffenence back then. ;) x