Naming a German Warmblood Youngster

Unylka

New User
Visit site
I recently bought a 4yr old German Warmblood mare with exceptional breeding to breed from myself but she has no name at all in her passport.

I presume it is like racehorses who are unnamed until the owner that is going to race them buys them.

I wondered if anyone has had any experience with both naming and changing ownership of German bred horses and if so, how do I go about changing it all?!

Many thanks

CorradeeStud

Visit site
What breed is she?
Some societies want that the mares start with their dam's first letter others its the stallions first letter....
No foals get names in their passport in Germany...
and just out of interest ;) how is she bred?

Unylka

New User
Visit site
Her Sire is New Quidam and her Great Grandsire is Quidam de Revel who I believe is a Selle Francais.
Her dam is Arielle and she has Caletto I in her breeding.
Due to my inability to speak German (learnt Spanish at school!) I haven't a clue what her passport means at all. The best I've found is that it was issued by www.pzv-bw.de/en/
I presumed none of them are named in Germany but we don't really know who to contact concerning naming her!
Thanks

Spring Feather

Visit site
I don't know much about the Baden Wurttemberg registry. It's a fairly small registry afaik so you'd be best to email them and ask them which parent's letter the youngster should be named after. The German registries are usually quite good at getting back to you and answering your questions.

crabbymare

Visit site
I'm 99% sure that the BW use the first letter of the sires name for the foals but I have no idea who they use in the uk for registering names

loulabelle

Visit site
Ive recently had to do this with my Oldenburg filly, only stipulation they had was that her registered name had to begin with the same letter as her sire, dont know if it will be the same but I had to contact the Hanovarian Society of GB to do the change of ownership cert and registered name :)

TarrSteps

Visit site
Ive recently had to do this with my Oldenburg filly, only stipulation they had was that her registered name had to begin with the same letter as her sire, dont know if it will be the same but I had to contact the Hanovarian Society of GB to do the change of ownership cert and registered name :)

That's the most common format but there are books that do it differently - Trakehners are first letter of the mare's name, KWPN are year of birth, for instance. From what I remember the BW does do it by sire initial though, or at least the only one I know has the same initial as his sire.

TarrSteps

Visit site
It was the society who told me I could only register a name for her that began with her sires initial, she is by Sarkozy so is now registered as snapdragon :)

Yes, for Oldenburg. I wasn't arguing with you. :). Just pointing out that not all studbooks go by that rule.

lpeacock

Visit site
i bought a 2 year old oldenburg, unnamed but german so makes sense. We have called him Rosavio as his dad is Rosandro and have sent his passport off to the BEF with a £20 check and will change owner and put his new name on there also this includes recorded postage back to you.

If you horse has not got a section 9 in his passport (which he/she should have as only 4) then it is £25 as they have to put it in. It is to do with agreeing not to send the horse off for meat.

You can send it back to germany but there are many horror stories about it getting lost and I think it is about £120 to replace. Im sure the BEF just add pages, the passport stays the same. (waiting for it to come back).

Unylka

New User
Visit site
Brilliant. Thank you for all of the replies, they were a massive help!
I will send off her passport to the BEF when I finish this term at university!
Thanks again