Naming and shaming...

SarahX

Visit site
I know we are not allowed to discuss our bad experiences with dealers on the forum,
but to a certain extent i think we should be able to.

Afterall, don't they bring it upon themselves? If they don't want people criticising them, they should do their job properly.

When ultimately lives are at risk, i believe we should do all we can to prevent it and that we should alert/warn others.

Yes, it will affect their trade, but isn't that the point? Surely we want to put an end to the 'bad' dealers out there and give credit to the good ones?

It might just be me who thinks this, and i realise that it isn't as simple at that and some may disagree.

This is not directed at a specific dealer and i am almost scared to click the 'submit' button... eeek!

Starzaan

Visit site
I agree entirely!! I haven't had bad experiences with dealers, but with several livery yards where I have worked, and would love to be able to warn as many people as possible about them. I have genuine reasons for my concerns, and other people who would back up what I have to say, and although I know it would affect their businesses, would you like to think that you were paying £170 a week full livery and that your horse was being left in, not mucked out or hayed or watered until 2pm?!?!

I think it's part of our responsibility as horse owners to share our bad experiences as well as our good ones. It is up to those whom we warn to make a decision for themselves, but surely it is better that that decision is an informed one.

anadain

Visit site
I agree - I have just had a very bad experience with a dealer! I am still dealing with it all at the moment and would love to warn other - I was totally sucked in and spat out! It's how I found this forum so some good things do come out of bad!

Pebbles

Visit site
I agree with above. We should name and shame to help each other out, its the only way the good dealers can continue their very useful services and make an honest living at the same time stopping the dodgy dealers prospering from innocent buyers, not only causing loss of money but heartache and at worst nasty accidents

ilovecobs

Visit site
I know we are not allowed to discuss our bad experiences with dealers on the forum,
but to a certain extent i think we should be able to.

Afterall, don't they bring it upon themselves? If they don't want people criticising them, they should do their job properly.

When ultimately lives are at risk, i believe we should do all we can to prevent it and that we should alert/warn others.

Yes, it will affect their trade, but isn't that the point? Surely we want to put an end to the 'bad' dealers out there and give credit to the good ones?

It might just be me who thinks this, and i realise that it isn't as simple at that and some may disagree.

This is not directed at a specific dealer and i am almost scared to click the 'submit' button... eeek!

I couldn't agree more! If it affects their trade then good!! they should be doing everything they can to have a good reputation so that they are being named and recommended rather then shamed. It would be a good idea to be able to name dealers i think.

D

Donkeymad

I'm 90 odd per cent in agreement. The little worry is that there will always be difficult customers who will wrongly scream and shout when they honestly are more in the wrong themselves. One bad report can do a lot of harm.

On the whole, I do agree.

benson21

Visit site
absolutely agree! The dealer I bought from was well known in the area, and also on here as one to avoid. But as no one is aloud to talk about and name these people, I didnt find out until I saw the look of horror on peoples faces, and got lots of pm's telling me I was probably in for a problem, and it was too late by then!

Ashleigh_

Visit site
I would LOVE to name and shame a VERY bad dealer in the east sussex area who shares the same name as a travel company ;)

Damn them! :(

potty_4_piebalds

Visit site
I'm 90 odd per cent in agreement. The little worry is that there will always be difficult customers who will wrongly scream and shout when they honestly are more in the wrong themselves. One bad report can do a lot of harm.

good piont well made

Little_Miss_1

Visit site
Oh, I totally agree. Could very easily name and shame at least 2 dealers in the east anglia region. However, I do think that the reputable dealers could be mixed in if we were allowed to. I mean, horses are individuals - with their own behaviour traits and characters, and they will act differently in different circumstances. So if a horse is well behaved at a reputable dealers and then goes to a home which may be novice or just different then the horse could play up and the dealer end up being discussed on a popular forum through no fault of their own...

I know this would hopefully be the minority, but worth considering.

That said, I would much prefer to know everyone's opinions before buying as it does give you peace of mind in the rather sticky situation that is buying a horse!

SarahX

Visit site

I couldn't agree more.

But since i was personally affected by a nasty dealer which resulted in a loss of many thousands of £, myself being quite badly injured and a hell lot of heartbreak i think it would be a small price to pay to make sure others don't have to go through the same.

Letslip

Visit site
Completley agree, why shouldn't we name and shame especially since without being able to do so allows these people to continue to trade.

But as I saw posted on another thread yesterday (and am probably going to get shouted at for this) as some pay money to H&H to advertise their horses will we ever be able to name and shame or will money as usual win out over what I often think can sometimes amount to horse and rider welfare!!!

Sarajane

Visit site
Whilst in an ideal world it would be a great idea, the potential for harm is enormous. As the forum is anonymous there is no way of verifying their stories without a lot of follow up, also people could theoretically sign on with various names and do a lot of damage to an honest dealers reputation - either for purely personal reasons, or, as someone mentioned earlier, for a complaint that the complainee:confused: has blown up out of all proportion.

SarahX

Visit site
Whilst in an ideal world it would be a great idea, the potential for harm is enormous. As the forum is anonymous there is no way of verifying their stories without a lot of follow up, also people could theoretically sign on with various names and do a lot of damage to an honest dealers reputation - either for purely personal reasons, or, as someone mentioned earlier, for a complaint that the complainee:confused: has blown up out of all proportion.

Good point.

Oh how i wish we lived in the ideal world :(

Last edited:

anadain

Visit site

Whilst I do in some ways agree there is more often than not- no smoke without fire! In my circumstances I know the dealer I bought the horse from is on here and so is the person who had the horse originally and told me the truth about him! I think a forum gives everyone the chance to air their views - you could say that the dealer could sign on in different names and tell good stories about themselves! I think it would be in everyones interest to be able to hear both sides. I only wish I knew this forum was here before/while I was buying my horse.

Pebbles

Visit site
Whilst I do in some ways agree there is more often than not- no smoke without fire! In my circumstances I know the dealer I bought the horse from is on here and so is the person who had the horse originally and told me the truth about him! I think a forum gives everyone the chance to air their views - you could say that the dealer could sign on in different names and tell good stories about themselves! I think it would be in everyones interest to be able to hear both sides. I only wish I knew this forum was here before/while I was buying my horse.

I think there are far more people who would echo the above, forewarned is forearmed than people who would deliberately post a bad report just to make trouble. Too many of us have had bad/awful experiences at the hands of these dodgy dealers and their cohorts!

UnaB

Visit site
I think it would be a good idea to name the bad AND good dealers. I bought my pony Charlie from a fantastic dealer and would 100% recommend them to anyone. They are still going strong, importing top quality competiton horses and ponies 13 years later so I suppose that is testament to their good reputation, but if you are going to name the bad ones, I think you should name the good ones too :D

But then the issue is the forum owners could come under some legal difficulties due to naming and shaming, so i dont think it will happen TBH.

I would also worry that dealers would sign up with false accounts to maybe try and give their competitors a bad name.. Im sure theres some unscrupulous people who would do that.

Blacklist

www.skeltonhorses.co.uk
Agreed, but legally speaking if an individual is named and shamed on here they could take you to court with you having to prove your accusations and costing you a lot money and maybe getting H & H forum in to trouble.

anadain

Visit site
Agreed, but legally speaking if an individual is named and shamed on here they could take you to court with you having to prove your accusations and costing you a lot money and maybe getting H & H forum in to trouble.

Thats true however a lot of dealers get away with it as its too much time and effort to take them to court! It would be nice to see a dealer taking someone to court to try to shut them up when the person has the evidence to back up what they are saying!

The truth will always come out! :D

Bens_Mum

Visit site
TOTALLY AGREE. I had two awful accidents this year on a very expensive horse bought from what appeared to be a highly reputable local dealer. Since, I have heard of many others in the same boat but locally they still have a good repuatation. This horse twice exploded with me and I was called a liar amoungst other issues. Eventually they took it back it then did the same trick badly dumping their own rider infront of someone else viewing it and is still advertised as "super old fashioned type, safe and easy to do in every way" and for £6,500!! I am very grateful to have our money back but it doesn't cover the injuries and money spent on schooling etc on this horse. I twice was very lucky maybe the next person who buys it wont I would have really apreciated any way of finding out information prior to this purchase or in the future. I think it is also good for genuine dealers as surely its good advertising...??

bluelady66

Visit site
agree totally - and it would encourage all dealers and livery yards to buck their ideas up - only the horses woudl benefit

SarahX

Visit site
Thats true however a lot of dealers get away with it as its too much time and effort to take them to court! It would be nice to see a dealer taking someone to court to try to shut them up when the person has the evidence to back up what they are saying!

The truth will always come out! :D

I would LOVE for the dealer that sold us a horse to take us to court!

Snowysadude

Visit site

I couldn't agree more.

But since i was personally affected by a nasty dealer which resulted in a loss of many thousands of £, myself being quite badly injured and a hell lot of heartbreak i think it would be a small price to pay to make sure others don't have to go through the same.

Agreed. But seeing as slander (even if it is true!!) is illegal that will never ever happen unfortunatley :(. I think there should be away to find out if any court cases have been taken out against the dealer, especially if they have then won!!

SarahX

Visit site
Would be good wouldn't it to show them for what they are! It's the fact they take no responsibility and pass the buck that really gets me!

What goes around comes around!:D

Oh it would be lovely. I had all the horses problems blamed on me, and was told that i made him dangerous!
Precisely.. karma and all that!

anadain

Visit site
Agreed. But seeing as slander (even if it is true!!) is illegal that will never ever happen unfortunatley :(. I think there should be away to find out if any court cases have been taken out against the dealer, especially if they have then won!!

Slander= false or malicious claims that may harm someone's reputation - I'm sure if its true it can't be classed as slander???