Naming land

Oberon

Visit site
Making a purchase of a field. It's described by the estate agent as, "Land known as Breedy Butts"

Doesn't seem to be any official name. It doesn't have a number in the address.

Can you name your land when you buy it?

meleeka

Visit site
Mine is known as “Land adjacent to..” the house next door even though it’s not that close and there’s a house the other side much closer. It didn’t have a name when I bought it and this is what the electric company called it. I was advised by them it’s very longwinded to change it, but I’d love to, if only to make sure I get the odd letter that is sent to my field address.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
It is traditional to name fields here, there is a government commission to record the names so that they are not lost. We didn't know our fields' names when we bought our farm, so have our own names for each one, but they are quite boring so won't be passing them on. Breedy Butts is epic!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Making a purchase of a field. It's described by the estate agent as, "Land known as Breedy Butts"

Doesn't seem to be any official name. It doesn't have a number in the address.

Can you name your land when you buy it?

No idea but I can see why you want to change it lol:D

Ours is called The Pightle it means small field I think.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
I don't see why you can't give a name to a piece of land that you own... Many names reflect who was the owner at some point in time.

You can see old maps of Great Britain here. I don't think you'll find many individual fields names, but you might find some ideas for a new name, keeping a link to the past.

No idea but I can see why you want to change it lol:D

Ours is called The Pightle it means small field I think.

Pightle

scruffyponies

Visit site
Interested in this, as mine is full of Orchids, and known locally as Orchid Meadow, but 'officially' as "land adjacent to London road"... which hardly does it justice.
How would one go about changing it?

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Interested in this, as mine is full of Orchids, and known locally as Orchid Meadow, but 'officially' as "land adjacent to London road"... which hardly does it justice.
How would one go about changing it?

You do it through the local authority. I think various other organisations have to be consulted to make sure it's not the same name as something else local.

My earlier post should have said "townland" not "homeland" - I don't know why my phone doesn't believe me when I type what I mean :D

Clodagh

Visit site
I love Breedy Butts! Our fields all have names, most of them historic, but the meadows and paddocks names have evolved with us. Also points of interest, so you can see how the evolution of place names comes about. The two newest are 'Claire's Gate' where there isn't even a gate anymore (the masters wife was queuing and her horse got impatient and jumped over the enormous gate) and Will's Ramp (where BIL puut in a gateway).
Thistlecrack the racehorse is named after a field on his owner's farm. I suspect not a quality piece of arable soil.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Estate and parish maps would normally have the field names on them. So easy to say "Go and plough Breedy Butts" rather than say "You know, the 4 acre field down Mill Lane on the right hand side."

Many names have slightly altered over the years, so they might not mean now what they used to mean, and sometimes they don't have the same origin as you might think. However, "butts" was the place that people practiced archery.

Oberon

Visit site
The field in question isn't called Breedy Butts but it's similar and worse than that.

Interesting that Butts means archery. I'm a member of Ribble Valley Mounted Archers :p

Squirily

Visit site
Look up the tithe map for your parish, that's how we found out our field name :)
Its interesting to see where names have evolved from and which ones are still in use. I don't know whether they are 'official' names though, presumably you could name your field as you like? I like Breedy Butts though, ours is Woodballs!

SlinkyMinxy

Visit site
Agree about looking up the tithe map. I did this for our farm last year and managed to find out all of the field names and also the original extent of the farm, which used to be a lot larger. Our best name was "Great Josey's Bottom", which in reality is a low-lying area of boggy land so actually quite well-named!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Oberon, good to see you back!
I notified the water company that plot xyz123 was now named as Pony Paddock (as example and used the name we gave it). Bills are then sent to me at home, relating to 'Pony Paddock'.
I have a name plate on the main gate. I havent ever needed to do any other changes as I don't have post there, nor power or rates etc. Vets all know it.
If giving directions, I give yard name, on track to xyz house, postcode. It hasn't failed yet. Postcode covers 'our' lane to 4 houses, a farm and 7 yards.

eatmyshorts

Visit site
Breedy Butts .. Breezy Butts ... both fab! Our Winter grazing is called Potter's Field because it used to be an old graveyard. I'm not sure if that's an official name or just a local name. I don't like to think about why our drainage is so good & why the grass grows so well!!

CazD

Visit site
When we purchased our paddock it was referred to in the old title deeds as ***** Meadow but, even though I tried to register it at the Land Registry on first registration as that, they just called it land at ******* Road.

StableMum

Visit site
My Dad has a piece of ground named after him. On the farm where he worked for 40 years the field next to where we lived was officially named Norman's Ground and it's where we scattered his and Mum's ashes. Unfortunately it wasn't named until after he died so he never knew.

pansymouse

Visit site
I'm fairly certain that the field will have a Unique Property Reference Number (UPRN) against which it's official name is lodged and recorded on the Local Land and Property Gazetteer (LLPG) https://www.geoplace.co.uk/addresse...is-the-local-land-and-property-gazetteer-llpg- I'm not sure how you go about requesting LLPG changes - I haven't read the details on the website but I would contact your local authority for guidance.

Last edited: