Naming youngstock according to the right letter for the year..?!

Mugsgame

Visit site
Hi, this being my first question ever on here, I will try and keep it short!! I have been a guest on here for ages and have learnt so much, I know you will be able to help me!

Basically, I know that horses (esp in Europe) are named using a particular first letter for a certain year... so, what letter will 2010 be? And do all stud books use the same letter as each other each year? Do all the letters of the alphabet then run in sequence and start again at A when Z has gone by, and do any letters get missed out?!
blush.gif

Thanks in advance, I hope!!!
laugh.gif

S_N

Visit site
Interesting question. As far as I am aware, it is the Iberian breeds that follow this rule. Though I think that the Andalucians and Lusitanos do not have follow the exact same year/letter. In 2005 the Lusitano letter was A and in 2006 it was B, so I presume that 2010 they will be F?

Most German warmblood breeds are named according the the first letter of the sire's name, apart from the Trakehner that is named in accordance with the first letter of the dam's name. I'm sure there are others on here who will possibly correct/improve upon my answer.

volatis

www.volatis.co.uk
Totally depends on what studbook - as SN says Trakehners name after the first letter of the dam's name, and most of the other German studbooks use the first letter of the sire's name (a few are a bit odd like Oldenburg I thinkfor fillies can use either first letter of sire's or dam's name)

KWPN and Selle Francais use annual letters. The KWPN have E this year. And yes when they get to the end it starts again at A, and there are a few letters they exclude.

FrodoBeutlin

Visit site
As for the German verbands, I'm pretty sure all of them (with the exception of Trakehner) have the same scheme for colts, i.e. they use their sire's initial.

I think things change when it's a filly -- the Bayern verband definitely has fillies using their dam's initial, while for instance afaik the Holsteiner verband has a new letter chosen every year -- for 2009 fillies it's B.

Mugsgame

Visit site
Wow, thanks for all this, a bit of an eye opener!
ooo.gif

I quite like keeping traditions, etc - but I think this is going to take a little researching at the time if I want to name any foals in accordance with their studbooks!

Especially if they are crossbreds... who's rule would I follow then?!?
tongue.gif
lol

TarrSteps

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Wow, thanks for all this, a bit of an eye opener!
ooo.gif

I quite like keeping traditions, etc - but I think this is going to take a little researching at the time if I want to name any foals in accordance with their studbooks!

Especially if they are crossbreds... who's rule would I follow then?!?
tongue.gif
lol

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you going to be registering the foals? Even for just identification purposes? Then you go with that book's practices. If you're not going to register them anywhere then you can just wing it and do what suits.
smile.gif

The whole "crossbred" thing is also different than many people seem to think for the warmblood books. A horse is not necessarily registered in the studbook or its sire or dam and traditionally registration (and approval) was done regionally. I know a stallion that had Hann. parents but was born in Rheinland so was registered with that book. He was then moved and approved into yet another book, so his offspring were mostly registered there. Many stallions are approved for more than one book so their foals are named in accordance to the book they themselves are registered in, usually - but not always - the book the mare is approved in (although she might also be approved for more than one book . . .).

The other thing that's getting tricky are prefixes and suffixes, which should only be applied to the horses bred by that farm/book/breeder. But I've seen a few horses now with "Z" tacked on their name because they were sired by/out of a Zangersheid horse when in fact they have no right to the designation.

mellissa

Visit site
Hello,

My mare is a BWP, and the stallion SBS- but the foal will be born in England and will therefore be registered SBS (they allow progeny from BWP mares in foreign countries- ie UK).

My foal is due 2010, what letter are SBS on?

Thank you

Mugsgame

Visit site
Thanks all.. am chuffed to bits with the amount of info put forward! A lot more interesting than I thought it would be...
tongue.gif

Armed with my info I can try and name my babies in accordance with their relatives! Now all I have to do is continue to wait for them to appear!!
laugh.gif