Nappies and/or Animalintex?

Fragglerock

Visit site
I always used animalintex as well as the nappy, but was able to use a smaller amount of it, so the animalintex went on first wet, followed by a dry appropriate sized nappy.

So it still saved money.

Fiona

That's what I have been doing but was told the Animalintex was wasting money. I would rather have belt and braces though :)

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Is a nappy on it's own sufficient as a poultice? If so do you put it on hot?

You need a drawing compound as well. Like many people I use magnesium sulphate paste. You can buy it in a chemist but tell them it's for a boil on a human. It can be used cold.

I don't understand what the point is of using a nappy if you are going to put it on top of animalintex.

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
I don't understand what the point is of using a nappy if you are going to put it on top of animalintex.

My vet used his own dressing instead of Animalintex on a wound which was not an abscess. The wound produced copious amounts of serum (??) for weeks so for the rest of the time nappies were used.

The Trooper

Visit site
You need a drawing compound as well. Like many people I use magnesium sulphate paste. You can buy it in a chemist but tell them it's for a boil on a human. It can be used cold.

Convenience for me, my horses are big and like to lean, it lets me and them have a break between 'stages'.

Velcrobum

Visit site
I use both and it’s handy as you can use the sticky tapes to hold the nappy and poultice on whilst applying vetrap and finally duct tape.
That is standard practice around here. Another trick is to make a square out of duct tape make diagonal cuts in from the corners apply and overlap the cut bits. Easier to understand if you have seen it done!!!

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
That is standard practice around here. Another trick is to make a square out of duct tape make diagonal cuts in from the corners apply and overlap the cut bits. Easier to understand if you have seen it done!!!

Yes I do that after seeing a friend do it that way. Hers is much neater than mine though!

Orangehorse

Visit site
Animalintex is the medication, the nappy is the bandage. Beats having to wrap the hoof in a bag and baler twine, as in the old days.

I wish I had seen the duct tape square, sounds like a good idea.

honetpot

Visit site
If you look at the active ingredient in animalintex you are paying lot of money for something that should cost pennies. It’s a mild antiseptic and really when wet it’s just softening the hoof to allow any abscess a better to drain, as well as keeping the exit wound clean if it’s been dug out. I use a lot of dressings at work and it in comparison it is useless.
I just buy nappies and depending on what stage we are at use them wet or dry. I use spray iodine as a antiseptic and when the abscess has drained cotton wool soaked in Stockholm tar to plug the hole.

Starzaan

Visit site
A nappy is not a poultice. Animalintex contains boric acid to draw infection out, a nappy is just absorbant. Nappies are fine for dry poulticing if you like them, but they are not to replace poultices.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
A nappy is not a poultice. Animalintex contains boric acid to draw infection out, a nappy is just absorbant. Nappies are fine for dry poulticing if you like them, but they are not to replace poultices.

They are a terrific replacement when used with magnesium sulphate drawing paste, and a lot cheaper than animalintex.

Starzaan

Visit site
O
They are a terrific replacement when used with magnesium sulphate drawing paste, and a lot cheaper than animalintex.
oh yes, totally - if you add drawing paste, they are poultices, but a nappy isn’t inherently a poultice. I worded badly haha.

honetpot

Visit site
I do not think boric acid draws it out or we would be using it on humans.
If you believe this it would be much cheaper to buy a tub of boric acid, make up a solution and soak half a nappy in it. The thicker plastic of the nappy not only holds together better but keeps the heat in for longer.

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
My vet has always told me to put animal lintex on first hot for day one, cold for day two to draw out the infection then on day 3-10 mix iodine with sugar into a thick paste. The 'sugardine' solution reduces inflammation, prevents infection and speeds up healing (once the abscess has been drained). I have never done 10 days, more like six and then shoe back on around day 8.
https://www.horses-and-ponies.com/health/equine-first-aid/how-to-make-and-use-sugardine/
https://holistichorse.com/hoof-care/hoof-care-sugardine/ for an explanation.

pistolpete

Visit site
I also use both but the modern nappies when wet turn the liquid to a gel. Not always helpful when trying to do dry dressings. Apparently you can buy gel free dressings but I’ve not found them.

honetpot

Visit site
I have yet to put on hot animalintex,and that’s having the bowl of hot water at the ready with all the rest of the dressing to hand to slap on. It just doesn’t have enough mass to hold the heat for any length of time. A nappy holds a lot of hot water.
There has been a lot of research carried out on wound healing, and dressings, most NHS Trusts have there formulary online, some of which is easily transposed to veterinary dressings and could save you money.

Gift Horse

Visit site
This works for me.
I put a scoop of Epsom salts on a dressing (usually a hoof sized piece of thick cotton wool cut off a roll) I secure this with a cheap non branded (vet wrap type) bandage, I then wrap the dressed hoof in thick plastic and secure it with gaffer tape. Then I put the hoof down and using a jug pour hot water down the hoof wall. The cotton wool soaks up the water and dissolves the salts.

Palindrome

Visit site
Interesting thread, how do these hold up to turnout or do you box the horse? for those adding hot water to the nappy, doesn't the nappy burst when the horse puts his weight on it?
I only use Animalintex (cut to shape before adding hot water), duct tape directly on top and horse is then turned out. Once I suspected an abscess but the horse wouldn't let me soak it so I poulticed it that way and it had burst and drained into the poultice overnight.

peanut

Visit site
I only use Animalintex (cut to shape before adding hot water), duct tape directly on top and horse is then turned out. .

You are lucky to have a horse with good feet! Mine has the flattest feet and needs the padding of several nappies to cope without a shoe.

Palindrome

Visit site
You are lucky to have a horse with good feet! Mine has the flattest feet and needs the padding of several nappies to cope without a shoe.

all 3 are barefoot, but you are right they have good feet generally, they just get the odd abscess once every other year (firmly touching wood as I am sure to get something come up now that I have said that).

dorsetladette

Visit site
I only use animalintex (and hot water to start with), some gamgee/cotton wool for padding and then vet wrap to hold in place. If the field is really wet I use the corner of a chaff bag and then duct tape over the top, if not wet just duct tape. I always turn out and don't restrict (unless horse is a total idiot) as the movement (I was told by an old retired vet) helps push the puss out. Once it has stopped producing nastiness I then dry poltice for a few days a) to stop dirt getting in b) to make sure I have definitely got everything out. I've had a few recurring abscess which taught me quickly not to be impatient when draining an abscess.

I hate the smell of nappies they make me gag.

ihatework

Visit site
I never use animalintex, complete waste of money.
Epsom salts (with a bit of iodine if you wish, I don’t) - as much as you can dissolve on hot/boiling water, poured into the nappy and then bandaged/taped on