Nappies for Carriage Horses

jasperchaz

New User
Visit site
I've just read about the proposal to put "nappies" on the carriage horses in Blackpool. I thought I'd heard it all! Excuse my ignorance, but I have never been to Blackpool so am not aware of the "muck mountains" littered on the streets!

DAHH

Visit site
I was skiing in St Moritz last year, where there are lots of carriages/sleighs taking people around the town and up the mountains. All the horses wear collecting sacks as described in the article. I have to say the horses looked perfectly happy wearing them and I cannot see how they would be in anyway detrimental to the horse.
Having seen them working first hand, I think they are a good idea. It seems to keep people happy and most importantly the horses don't appear to be adversly effected by them.

starr_g

Visit site
I lived in Antwerp for a while and all the carriage horses there and in Brugge had these "nappies" attached to the driving harness.All looked quite happy with them.

GTs

Visit site
Our horses had bags hanging behind them to catch the poo - that is likely what they are talking about.

pocomoto

Visit site
I remember a TV prog on Martin Pipe a few years ago and he used them on his horses to save time on the yard and probably money, I would have thought that the style he was using would have put a strain on the back. If as an owner I was paying his prices I would be unhappy to see my horse in one!

Flame_

Visit site
I would have thought the empty chip papers, beer cans and vomit in Blackpool were more of a problem than horse manure. I just think its sad when rules are made like this.

KrashnBurn

Visit site
Never seen one used. But there is a site for a particular make

http://www.stablemaid.com.au/questions.htm

Apparently you can even empty it while you are riding
confused.gif

Klaudette

Visit site
When we were in France, paid a visit to Palace of Versailles (sorry about spelling, French was never a strong point of mine), the carriage horses were not wearing the ridiculous contraption pictured in the above link. They had quite simple slings running from behind the breetching towards the swingle tree. They worked very well- the draught type horses they were using did big poopies which and landed in the sling quite discretely.
Also, if the above stablemaid was used...can you imagine how harrased these poor horses would be by the ubiquitous drunken idiots that roam the streets of Blackpool after one too many....they are certainly not discrete!!!!!

alleycat

Visit site
To change the subject for a moment- can I ask- who - & what breeding- is that lovely jet-propelled grey in your piccies, Magic Melon Mincepie?

peter1959

stores.ebay.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
I would have thought the empty chip papers, beer cans and vomit in Blackpool were more of a problem than horse manure. I just think its sad when rules are made like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

As someone who lives just next door to Blackpool I agree with your comment (I blame the tourists!)
wink.gif

I think the general welfare of the horses whilst their are at work is more of an issue than the nappies.