Napping, bucking, stand stills...

SparklerStar

Visit site
Hi all,

I have recently started helping bring my friend's pony back into work- said pony was never fully out of work but only ridden a short amount and not very much so the pony's a little fat and v unfit. The pony was used a lot with my friend's son as a lead rein pony but he is now behaving badly off the lead rein and can be very nappy, won't walk without my friend beside him, stops stand still and won't move and as soon as I got on the other day bucked like a bronco... Any suggestions as to how to help make him safe and sane for my friend's son again?

Many thanks

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Long reining? My adult daughters horse is nappy and we stopped his ridden work after he had her off during lockdown and we decided the risk of riding him through it too great (due to corona virus!)
Her yo (Very kindly) started him long reining round the yard and I’ve continued on a little circuit. I’ve been slack/busy recently but he was storming out alone really nicely.
He’s coming home soon and I’ll get going again but have no doubt she could now ride that circuit alone. It gives them confidence with the safely net of you on the ground.

asmp

Visit site
Are you sure the saddle still fits? One of ours only napped when he needed a new saddle. Not done it since.

Shay

Visit site
Some lead rein ponies never adapt to first ridden. They are angels on the lead - but little horrors off it. The thing is ponies are really clever. They have seen every trick in the book - and worked out how to avoid it. They know when you have the upper hand and behave like saints - but for a child who doesn't know how to cope... nightmare.

Do check the saddle - especially as he bucked badly when you mounted (I'm guessing that you weight more than a child even if you are slight and short in stature.) Check tack / back / teeth- and possibly cushings too. But once you are sure there is no pain behind his behaviour, can you get a competant light weight adult to school? Does depend on his size - easier with a 148 than a shitland!

Lois Lame

Visit site
I don't know if it's possible to get this pony safe enough if he's going to resort to bucking and that sort of carry on. I tend to agree with Shay above, that this fellow might only be suitable as a lead-rein pony.

You mention: 'The pony was used a lot with my friend's son as a lead rein pony but he is now behaving badly off the lead rein...'

Did the pony behave well at one time with the child off the lead rein?

Maybe it's just a matter of giving the pony a lot more work. Is his naughtiness and different-opinion-ness due to not having done much for quite a while, or due to something else?

I'm interested in reading other responses.

SparklerStar

Visit site
Hi guys thank you sooo much for your replies truly! I will have a go out long reining see if that helps, I am 100% going to luge him- I think Lois you have in mind what I thought- I think he's been happy being a pet for a while and not enjoying the work side of being a pony. I also think he has no confidence without my friend because he's always been with her by his side so I am going to try and do lots without her there to get him used to it. I am the small adult unfortunately haha but his bucks were quite the size!!! They did leave me a little rattled because he gave no indication of unhappiness etc so I was unsure what had done it.. it wasn't as I first got on it was about 20 second after and I think when I walked away from who is usually takes him on the lead rein. I think I just need him to realise he's got to work! But I will also ask about getting tack checked and an instructor to help when I'm on because it's sometimes good to have a second opinion as you're on him!!

SparklerStar

Visit site
Also should note before current owners pony did a lot off lead rein and was really good before it so let me know whether it's a lost cause!

Lois Lame

Visit site
I feel a bit worried about you, Sparkler Star, riding this pony. As others have said, maybe the pony is in pain. And I don't want you in pain if he bucks you off. It's been playing on my mind...

Don't forget it's your friend's pony. Maybe he or she should investigate further instead of leaving it to you. Don't be flattered into becoming flattened.