Napping/planting help!!!

Morgan123

Visit site
I have a similiar issue with my horse, and saw a great explanation from a psychologist who is also an equine behaviourist. She said it's likely to be trigger stacking - horse has only just got confident with hacking alone anyway - this is a big deal for some (incl mine!) and hence takes up a lot of their emotional room (uses a lot of their "spoons" in dog behavour lanaguge, have you come across that? You have to imagine they have a certain number of spoons a day - no idea why spoons - and more stressful behaviours take up more of them, so you have to make other allowances). Anyway. So hacking uses a lot of their mental energy/spooons already. When there is another issue such as slight pain (as in my horse) then that just tips them over the edge hence "no way, I cannot do this". I am not explaining it as well as she did - sorry. But anyway basically schooling and hacking in company are less stressful so they don't mind so much. Made sense in my situation anyway! I often walk the first km now and do lots of clicker games which also loosen him up, but build confidence and increase motivation. My horse has KS so makes sense to warm his back up anyway, then once he loosens up he feels better and we can crack on. I do get a lot of weird looks from people, but it works for us.....

Morgan123

Visit site
I have a similiar issue with my horse, and saw a great explanation from a psychologist who is also an equine behaviourist. She said it's likely to be trigger stacking - horse has only just got confident with hacking alone anyway - this is a big deal for some (incl mine!) and hence takes up a lot of their emotional room (uses a lot of their "spoons" in dog behavour lanaguge, have you come across that? You have to imagine they have a certain number of spoons a day - no idea why spoons - and more stressful behaviours take up more of them, so you have to make other allowances). Anyway. So hacking uses a lot of their mental energy/spooons already. When there is another issue such as slight pain (as in my horse) then that just tips them over the edge hence "no way, I cannot do this". I am not explaining it as well as she did - sorry. But anyway basically schooling and hacking in company are less stressful so they don't mind so much. Made sense in my situation anyway! I often walk the first km now and do lots of clicker games which also loosen him up, but build confidence and increase motivation. My horse has KS so makes sense to warm his back up anyway, then once he loosens up he feels better and we can crack on. I do get a lot of weird looks from people, but it works for us.....
Ah sorry just seen your post about the abscess! Hopefully it's just that. Well done for listening to him <3