Napping!

Floxie

Visit site
(mentioned this to my BF and he couldn't understand why my horse was falling asleep on the road...)

My just-turned-six-er has lost his nerve a bit about hacking out - we've not done a great deal but the napping is new - definitely a confidence issue (though I worry it might become learned). I can only really try at weekends and there aren't any experienced horses to give him confidence.

This weekend he bottled it on the road - it was a dangerous spot on a corner with no verges, so I jumped off and lead him along to the next place I could get on (convenient bench!). He's fine being led. The moment I was back on he started up again. If I'm totally relaxed, he goes backwards and sideways. If I kick forwards or try to turn him, he goes up.

Admittedly I could have sat it out a bit longer that time because it was in a safer place, but I'm just terrified he'll stop listening to me all together and just gallop home. So I got off and led him to the half-way point of the hack ("We WILL have a nice hack out, even if I have to walk!")

Then he let me get on and ride home no bother - via a slightly different route than the one we came on, though he's done the whole hack before so may have remembered that the change still meant 'home'.

What shall I do?! Just keep trying until he's more confident? I'm sure it's not 'naughty' yet, though there's time ;) I thought hopping off and leading him was better than letting him 'win', but now I'm worried he'll learn it's an easy way to get me off. It's the only option if he does it in silly places on the road, but where it's safe to 'fight it out' should I just try to keep him (us!) calm? I'm still frightened he'll just leg it!