Nappy - even with friends ahead!

Kimina

New User
Visit site
I've recently been riding a lovely Shire/ID X on a share basis. Having ridden once out on my own - after many rides with the owner and her daughter, the horse was slightly nappy at the mountain block but went ok with encouragement.

We've now suddenly reached the stage that she naps with any of us riding her, and will only go forward if initially lead from the ground. This even happens when the mum and daughter ride ahead and get completely out of sight for 10 mins, so it's not a case of leaving her friends behind!

She plants herself, won't move her head left or right, and won't go backwards either. We've walked her tacked up along this field (us on the ground) and she doesn't bat an eye, so I really don't think it's a nerve thing.

She also has done it once on the road, having been lead there by the owner, so it's not just one place either. Once you get her out though, she is happy and willing, even on new routes.

I spent 1.5 hours yesterday in rain and sun, just sitting on her, hoping she'd get bored but although she shifted position and we covered maybe half the length of the field, that's as far as we got. She even started pawing the ground but wouldn't walk on!

I'm a quiet, gentle, experienced rider and am at a loss with what to do now. We've checked her tack, back, feet etc to no avail.

Any thoughts appreciated please - sorry for long post!!

Tammytoo

Visit site
OK, this is a last resort thing and I'll probably get shot down flames for suggesting it as well !

I once spent 2 hours with a highly respected natural horse trainer trying to get my horse into a few inches of water. Eventually, trainer climbed on board grabbed hold of the neckstrap with one hand and whipped out a plastic bag from her pocket with the other hand. The sudden sound of the plastic bag being pulled out startled the mare into leaping forward and into the water. The trainer explained that the noise made the horse take the decision to move, no battle involved so no "winner".

A friend also tried this on a very stubborn fell pony who started planting halfway round a ride. Pony planted, friend sat and waited until pony felt nice and relaxed but did 't allow her to graze (she actually had a ciggie whilst waiting - not recommended) then holding tight to neckstrap and mane with one hand, whipped out the plastic bag. Pony jumped forward, she kept him trotting and never had a problem again.

Only try this if you are sure you won't jab your horse in the mouth. If necessary drop the bag on the ground as soon as he moves forward, you can go back later and pick it up.

Good luck.

Kimina

New User
Visit site
Thanks Tammytoo. Good idea - but as she is pretty bombproof I wonder if it will work. Well worth a try though! Thanks again.

OK, this is a last resort thing and I'll probably get shot down flames for suggesting it as well !

I once spent 2 hours with a highly respected natural horse trainer trying to get my horse into a few inches of water. Eventually, trainer climbed on board grabbed hold of the neckstrap with one hand and whipped out a plastic bag from her pocket with the other hand. The sudden sound of the plastic bag being pulled out startled the mare into leaping forward and into the water. The trainer explained that the noise made the horse take the decision to move, no battle involved so no "winner".

A friend also tried this on a very stubborn fell pony who started planting halfway round a ride. Pony planted, friend sat and waited until pony felt nice and relaxed but did 't allow her to graze (she actually had a ciggie whilst waiting - not recommended) then holding tight to neckstrap and mane with one hand, whipped out the plastic bag. Pony jumped forward, she kept him trotting and never had a problem again.

Only try this if you are sure you won't jab your horse in the mouth. If necessary drop the bag on the ground as soon as he moves forward, you can go back later and pick it up.

Good luck.

Tammytoo

Visit site
It's the element of surprise that works. Keep the bag up your sleeve, in your pocket or stuffed down your jacket, anywhere you can whip it out quickly and noisily, but don't let it rustle beforehand. I used to practice on the ground first, got really good but never needed to do it again!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I would check all the tack again, including the bit - has it got chew marks? Some horses, especially the bombproof type can be very stoic and don't make the kind of fuss when something is wrong that more flighty horses will make. But IMO she is trying to let you know that something is wrong/uncomfortable.

Who checked her back? Did you get a vet?

Last edited:

Kimina

New User
Visit site
Thanks Pearlsasinger. We'll check the bit as you suggest but surely if it was a pain or comfort issue, she wouldn't then be really willing and happy once out n about?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Sometimes, the really stoic do. They get interested in where they are going, or they get used to the discomfort, a bit like you ignoring a shoe rubbing, if it's not too horrendous. But if you wear the same shoe every day it will make your foot gradually more sore until eventually you decide to throw the shoe away.
If you persist in ignoring what she is telling you (and it could be much worse than ill-fitting tack), eventually, she will shout at you in the only way she knows and somone will get hurt. But I am sure, because you have started this thread, asking for opinions, that you will listen to her and get to the bottom of the problem.

I have learned over the years that when a horse's behaviour changes for no obvious reason, such as a yard change, the wise owner understands that the horse is trying to warn of a problem. Your horse sounds like a lovely sort, so I hope this is an easily sorted problem but if you can't find anything wrong with the tack, please get the vet to check her over. There are a lot of threads on here about Kissing Spines which have not been diagnosed until x-rays were taken.

Just another thought, has she changed shape in the time you have been riding her, because of increased workload? If so her saddle might not fit as well as it did when it was originally fitted to her.

Last edited: