NAPPY HORSE & NEW YARD BLUES

Frances28

Visit site
Hi there, how would you deal with this?

I moved my horse on Saturday FROM a very large busy yard TO a small quiet yard.

Put her in her stable upon arrival, she was absolutely fine. She looked around allot but just munched on hay and chilled out. I was so happy with her I thought no need to keep her in so put her out.

She joined the herd fine. Very easy going! I was shocked!

Monday I rode, she was fine going RIGHT out of the yard and down a track into the sandschool.

However, when we got back and turned left, down the other track towards her field she just froze. WE HAD A 30 MINUTE BATTLE trying to get her to move forward. In the end I had to get off and lead her past, then mounted tried again but encountered the same problem.

We ended up spinning around for another 10 minutes. By that time I got so annoyed I put her back in the school and did some join up then put her out.

I don't see what is up!? What do you think?

AutumnRose

Visit site
Lot's to take in at a new yard. If she's never sdone it before i'm sure it's just a case of her settling in. Try to be as firm as possible though as you don't want it becoming a habit.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Friends horse did the same thing as yours, if it persists then someone standing behind pony with a lunge whip can often be helpful provided she doesn't get into a complete tiz with it!

[/ QUOTE ]
Or why not just give the horse some time to settle in to a new yard and new routine???

pottamus

Visit site
I would be giving your horse much much longer to settle into the new surroundings and having plenty of patience until such time as she is happy and settled.
My horse took many months to truely settle and was quite nappy and sharp for many reasons and in all sorts of scenarios until he had established trust and routine. These things take time and if she is happy to be lead past the scary thing, then I would be prepared to get off each time and lead until she learns that there is nothing to worry about.

Kenzo

Visit site
Sounds like its perhaps a confidence issues as opposed to being nappy in a naughty way.

Try not to think about it too much otherwise you'll just worry and stress over it.

Take each day at a time, walk your horse out in hand every day for a couple of weeks so your horse accepts the new surroundings with the extra confidence boost of you being on the ground next her, get her into a routine of walking out every day etc then eventually I'm sure she then do it once your aboard, last think you want is to creat a issue over it as this could make her more reluctant to go out.

Dont give it a second thought for the moment, enjoy working her in the school and walking her out...look on the plus side, the exercise will also do you good
smile.gif
...stay positive
smile.gif

Frances28

Visit site
In her old yard she was in by day out by night. I now have the option of having her out 24/7. I actually think this might be a bad move. I have decided to maintain her routine and have her brought in during the day. That way she will have to walk past that building every day twice a day and get used to her new surroundings at the same time.

Good thinking batman!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I personally would leave her turned out in the field for several days before bringing her in at all. It works really well in my experience and helps them settle in with their new friends and surroundings.