Nappy mare - driving me nuts!

Tayto

Visit site
I have had my mare for over 5 years now - when I first got her, she used to nap, spin and bolt while hacking. Fast forward a few years, a lot of tears, tantrums, confidence building, soul searching and training and she will hack out, school, jump, xc etc... she is now great to handle, is generally a good all-rounder but is still a nappy madam. I can normally deal with but recently its been driving me nuts! I suppose I am just a bit fed up having to always convince her to get on my side!

She never leaves the yard without some sort of protest and I am getting so tried of it! some days she will refuse to leave the yard but once out of the yard hacks pretty well then other days she is just a prat the whole hack. Last night I took her to a stubble field - it was a beautiful evening and I just wanted to have some fun and blast up and down a few times but she was such a pain! I went into the field and walked/schooled round some bales to get her to focus then I went for a canter but she was using her shoulder to barge towards home and went down the field cantering in a banana shape pulling against me. It got so bad I stopped because I felt like she was going to spin any second and I wasn't risking being dumped in the field. The second I stopped she tried to spin but I managed to catch her and keep her facing the way I wanted to go which resulted in a p1ssed off horse jogging about.

I walked back towards home then turned her away again and trotted her away then had a small canter. I did this a few times to try and teach her that I won't just give up and let her go home

She is fit, healthy, back, teeth, saddle all ok - she had a sponsorship deal with a physio that just ended so she is well looked after and should have no physical ailments! I make a big effort to keep her routine varied to try and keep her interested etc.

Does anyone have any success stories or am I destined for a life with a nappy mare?! Someone suggested a hormonal supplement might help - anyone tried this? Having tried a few different supplements over the years with no success I am not sure I believe they would help but willing to give it a go!

paddi22

Visit site
I have a little mare and i had to absolutely kill her at the start to get her to stop being nappy. If she went up to ten in stubborness i'd have to be a 12 in stubborness and forcefulness back . I looked like a maniac on the road roaring and battering her, but after a few battles we got over it and she knows i mean it now when i say 'go' but we did go at it hammer and tongs until we cracked it. I used to just get a neck strap, body protector and whip and totally over react if i even felt her START to suck back at all. She is perfect now.

Tayto

Visit site
I have a little mare and i had to absolutely kill her at the start to get her to stop being nappy. If she went up to ten in stubborness i'd have to be a 12 in stubborness and forcefulness back . I looked like a maniac on the road roaring and battering her, but after a few battles we got over it and she knows i mean it now when i say 'go' but we did go at it hammer and tongs until we cracked it. I used to just get a neck strap, body protector and whip and totally over react if i even felt her START to suck back at all. She is perfect now.

Thanks for sharing! Mine is so stubborn! We were cantering in the direction I asked but nothing about it was willing, she was setting her neck, leaning on my hand, barging her shoulder - infuriating!