Narnia: an official complaint

Karla

Visit site
I saw this recently and was pleasantly surprised at how good it was, though I started watching it with low expectations after reading bad reviews. My only criticism concerns the end of the film where the kids leave Narnia. They happen to find the wardrobe again when....... hunting a stag! Even most pros think this is an abomination. I haven't read the book for ages but I can't believe the stag hunt is in it. A terrible way to end a good film!

horsegirl

Visit site
There are talking beavers too and I don't imagine anyone would recommend riding on a Lion's back, it's not real you know LOL

severnmiles

Visit site
"nothing wrong with beaver!"

Meant in what context? Not sure if my mind is poisened, if so Karla must be Karl....

Karla

Visit site
Yes! I hadn't thought of that. The children have been in Narnia for years and grown into adults. They're now royalty and wield great power - power which ultimately corrupts. It is at this point that they hunt the stag and simultaneously and indeed consequently the exit to the "real" world via the wardrobe is revealed. The stag hunt in this context represents evil and the danger of unfettered power. The journey back through the wardrobe represents a stripping of that power - they are now just ordinary children again - and a return to innocence.

Doreys_Mum

Visit site
WTF is it with people reading too much into these things?

Although, an advantage to Narnia is that the majority of animals (not just beavers) can talk...

They could all stop and ask the stag how it felt about potentially ending up as dinner...

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
WTF is it with people reading too much into these things?
Well, I always thought they hunted because they didn't have sainsbury's nearby... how else were they going to eat??

Although, an advantage to Narnia is that the majority of animals (not just beavers) can talk...
They could all stop and ask the stag how it felt about potentially ending up as dinner...
Ahhh, but there were talking animals which were NEVER eaten (terribly shocking.. it happens in one of the other books!) and the dumb animals who were considered fair game (no pun intended)

Karla

Visit site
I'll have to read it again - I remember it being a brilliant book.

I liked Dawn French as Mrs Beaver's voice...

Doreys_Mum

Visit site
I remember when they killed the talking horses... made me cry...now THAT was shocking!!!

Ah, so we're allowed to ear dumb animals, but not intelligent ones...

I'm not so sure I like CS Lewis anymore..

Bad enough reading about them killing the talking horses!

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Well, in fictional Narnia it was certainly considered taboo to eat the fictional speaking animals.
If a cow/sheep/pig ever spoke to me I would become vegetarian instantly. I certainly wouldn't be able to eat it... in fact, if I were required to actually kill everything I eat I'm sure I would eat alot less meat...

Karla

Visit site
The other interesting thing is: what does Aslan eat? Very sensibly the male lion gets the women to kill the food but where are they?

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
I ask myself that same question every day.... :)
Actually I was born here, my parents retired out here in 2003, and as I was stuck in a boring, dead-end job with no money in Cambridge, I thought I might as well start a new life out here. Brought PF out with me (which makes VERY little financial sense, but then again, horses generally DON'T make that sort of sense, do they?) and here I am.
Mostly I like it very much.

Onyxia

Visit site
Good idear there- but lighten up and just enjoy it!
I wouldnt enjoy anything half as much as I do if it was all analysed ( and mr Pratchett would have been locked up long ago for his and our safty! :p)

Zebedee

Visit site
At the restaurant at the end of the universe by Douglas Adams the animals arrived at the table to tell diners about their tenderest cuts, and to ask how they would like them to be cooked!

Karla

Visit site
Are you in Buenos Aires? Do you speak Spanish? I can't imagine you being so far away. The internet's amazing, innit!

Karla

Visit site
My Spanish is rather limited I'm ashamed to admit. I can say "Me gustan las cervezas" and "hola, mi cielo" but that's about it. Do all the polo players chat you up and ask you about England?

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
I don't watch as much polo as I used to (we haven't got much here in Cordoba) but the Open in Buenos Aires in December used to be GREAT fun... I only know a few polo players and TBH they're not quite Jilly Cooper, if you know what I mean..
There was one I liked very, very much, and he was lovely... but he was English would you believe! :)