Nasal discharge - vet or observe?

LHIS

Visit site
My lovely boy has had clear yellow runny nose for 2 days, both nostrils. At first I thought it was because he enjoys a snuffle in the dirt but I've ruled that out being the reason for the colouration.
He's eating, drinking, pooping and working happily enough, nothing out of the norm.
I've scared myself silly as I googled it and found some information (amongst others) that suggested it can be an early indicator of strangles. We have had a new horse join the yard recently.

I'd like to know please - is there anything else I should check? I need to do his temperature but couldn't find my thermometer so will have to get another. I'm a natural worrier and I don't know whether to get the vet out just in case, or observe for a few days? I'd appreciate some advice please.

antigone

Visit site
Has he been off his food at all? You do need to check his temperature but if eating and drinking normally its less likely to be raised. A horse I rehomed from a big and well known charity had just this and was off her food for a day - that's all. But it was strangles. It turned out she was a carrier. The discharge was definitely yellow but clear yellow, not opaque, and there wasn't much of it. I would seek vets advice and isolate both yours and the new one just to be on the safe side. This happened more than 3 months after she arrived with us so a even if the new horse has been quarantined, if they are a carrier they can infect others. So hoping I am wrong

SEL

Visit site
Agree with above poster. We're currently in quarantine for the next 2 weeks on the yard due to a pony with yellow snot and a cough. His blood test was inconclusive so the vets have asked us to be sensible & restrict movement until we know one way or another. Pony doesn't actually have a temperature so we're crossing everything that it's something minor.

It's a PITA but there are outbreaks near us and 2 weeks is a small price to pay to prevent a full scale outbreak.

mynutmeg

Visit site
Fully quarentine him and have a chat with your vet but if he's himself then probably ok to watch and wait but you do need to isolate in case it's infectious.
Won't cost you anything to have a phone conversation with your vet.

LHIS

Visit site
Quarantine nigh on impossible. American style barn, no other boxes. Only option is turning him out solo but he will not be a happy bunny alone. I will ring vet tomorrow first thing.

antigone

Visit site
They need to isolate the new one, too, its not just yours. if very difficult to do that then don't share anything - especially water buckets. hibiscrub kills it so scrub everything with it that comes into contact with your horse or the new one. keep the hibiscrub nice and pink. Don't allow mouth/nose contact between them and others. Don't forget the importance of washing your hands - with hibiscrub. Even if not in isolation just behave as if they are as it may minimise the risk . I fully understand the alone thing but usually they can settle if close but separated by electric fencing. I cannot overstate the " no nose to nose" thing but please try and do it until you have the all clear. it might be nowt but not worth the risk

LHIS

Visit site
New horse arrived 2 weeks ago tomorrow.
He's fine in himself but the more I read (now turned to my 'vetinary notes for horseowners' bible) and i'm now quite worried. Especially with what you've said Antigone with yours having the same symptoms.
Driving to 24hr pharmacy once OH is home and I'll do his temperature first thing tomorrow. God I hope we're wrong.

antigone

Visit site
So do I. But it is worth taking the precautions just in case. It might be nothing, especially as everyone is well and eating ok. just watch for any loss of appetite and monitor temperatures. What about the owner of the new horse - are they doing the same?

mynutmeg

Visit site
It may well just be a simple rhinovirus/cold type thing but until you know for sure then you need to act as though it is something nasty and infectious

SEL

Visit site
Quarantine nigh on impossible. American style barn, no other boxes. Only option is turning him out solo but he will not be a happy bunny alone. I will ring vet tomorrow first thing.

That's what we've got and there's tape across part of it preventing entry to the box with the pony that's being investigated. Luckily everything is out 24:7 right now, but I think we would have been chucked out of our stables if needed for quarantine purposes - & right now I'd rather have my horses as far away as possible anyway!

This pony is bright and chirpy and cross at being in, so hoping very, very much that it's something minor. I hope yours is too, but a phone call to the vet will give you some guidance.

hairycob

Visit site
When we bought a new horse who went down with strangles he had a very slight nasal discharge, hardly enough to cover a thumbnail, when ridden & a couple of days later developed a cough. TBH I called out the vet because if it was RAO he could go back to the dealer, otherwise I would have just tried soaking his hay. He seemed fine in himself, appetite was good & he didn't have a temp. Vet only swabbed him because he was new and was surprised it came back positive, By the time we got the result the symptoms had cleared. He spread it to my other horse who had no symptoms at all - I was taking his temp twice a day as he was recovering from Atypical Myopathy (it was not my happiest year!) & Vet was worried how he would cope. Both were clear in a few weeks without any treatment, just kept in an isolated paddock.
If the vet hadn't been extra cautious we could have been out & about without a second thought and feeding soaked hay still. Last time the cautious Vet came for jabs she had a student with her & was using mine as a case study about strangles for the student.

LHIS

Visit site
Called vet first thing and they're coming out in an hour. They said it is unlikely to be Strangles and most likely an allergy. Fingers crossed they are right.

LHIS

Visit site
Relieved to report he is ok. Vet has said it is probably an allergic reaction to pollen, and I need to be aware of a probably disposition to respiratory issues for the future. They've recommended switching to dust free bedding and investing in a hay steamer.

antigone

Visit site
Relieved to report he is ok. Vet has said it is probably an allergic reaction to pollen, and I need to be aware of a probably disposition to respiratory issues for the future. They've recommended switching to dust free bedding and investing in a hay steamer.

I am so pleased to hear this. I wondered how you were getting on. You must be so relieved. I used to have a haygain. It was very good but soooooo expensive. They do a one horse sized one now, I think, which is a bit more affordable.

LHIS

Visit site
I am so pleased to hear this. I wondered how you were getting on. You must be so relieved. I used to have a haygain. It was very good but soooooo expensive. They do a one horse sized one now, I think, which is a bit more affordable.
Expensive to buy or expensive ongoing cost, or both?

antigone

Visit site
Expensive to buy or expensive ongoing cost, or both?

Expensive to buy. I got the haygain rather than another make because the company have done the work to show that the steamer works and I suppose you are paying for that. I didn't work out how much it cost to run but is like an industrial kettle connected to an insulated plastic box. As kettles are high energy users I guess it would be significant but OH didn't have a melt down over the electricity bill so it cannot have been that bad. I was impressed by the quality of it (and so it should have been at that price). I found the capacity less than they state but the hay came out lovely and the horses loved it warm. I sold it at a massive loss after he died but wish I had kept it.

mynutmeg

Visit site
you can make one quite cheaply - get a wallpaper steamer from B&Q or similar (I think I paid about £20 for one) and a big black bin that fits enough hay for you. Put the steamer at the bottom, add hay on top, put lid on and switch on and you have a hay steamer

charterline

Visit site

Just out of interest did they do any swabs or blood tests for strangles?

LHIS

Visit site
Just out of interest did they do any swabs or blood tests for strangles?

No. She had a look up his nose, a feel of his throat, pinched to see if he would cough, listened to chest and temperature. Vet very nice about me jumping to worst case scenario. Fellow liveries did a bit of eye rolling and I'm quite sure they all think I'm an idiot now. I'm going to keep a close eye on him, continue to monitor temperature.

_GG_

Visit site
So do I. But it is worth taking the precautions just in case. It might be nothing, especially as everyone is well and eating ok. just watch for any loss of appetite and monitor temperatures. What about the owner of the new horse - are they doing the same?

No. She had a look up his nose, a feel of his throat, pinched to see if he would cough, listened to chest and temperature. Vet very nice about me jumping to worst case scenario. Fellow liveries did a bit of eye rolling and I'm quite sure they all think I'm an idiot now. I'm going to keep a close eye on him, continue to monitor temperature.

They can eye roll all they want.. you acted to keep their horses safe so ignore any silliness.

Only just came to this so nothing worth adding but glad it's nothing nasty and well done. Xx

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

I'm absolutely shocked. You had a new horse on the yard. Most horses show either no symptoms or symptoms as little as yours for strangles. Yet she didn't test.

I wouldn't go to the expense and bother of steaming hay and changing your bedding until he's had a few weeks to show if he's really got an issue with dust, if he was mine. There's no need to worry, if he's got strangles he obviously isn't going to get ill with it.

Last edited:

mynutmeg

Visit site
They can eye roll all they want.. you acted to keep their horses safe so ignore any silliness.

Only just came to this so nothing worth adding but glad it's nothing nasty and well done. Xx

^^^^^This - there are some things where it's better to be safe than sorry. I've had a couple of times where everyone else on the yard was telling me not to bother with the vet, horse would be fine in the morning etc, I've stuck to my gut instinct and called vet - usually turn out to be right that they have needed treatment rather urgently. The odd time I've been wrong has been worth it for the benefit of the times I was right