Natasha Richardson Has Died

3BayGeldings

Visit site
British actress Natasha Richardson has died in hospital after suffering a serious head injury in a skiing accident.

Leaves behind husband Liam Neeson and two young sons.

How tragic, RIP
frown.gif

ISHmad

Visit site
Unbelievably sad. The whole family must be in utter shock. My thoughts are with them, especially her two sons.

MissDeMeena

Visit site
How totally tragic!
frown.gif

But also so scary, to know that the accident that killed her, she actually got up and walked away from, even 'laughing and joking'
crazy.gif

Just goes to show how carefull you have to be with your head!
crazy.gif

ladyt25

Visit site
It's terrible, I really hoped she'd be ok. Such a shock from what first just appeared to be a straightforward fall that she was able to walk away from laughing and joking.

How tragic.
frown.gif

Cuffey

Visit site
That is just so sad. It sounded a really strong show business marriage.

We need to learn from this and ''bully'' our friends to go straight to hospital after a bang on the head regardless of them saying they are OK

Tanta

Visit site
Very sad - and makes you realise why hospitals are so careful with anyone with a head injury, however minor it may seem.

timmy1977

Visit site
very sad news, and this only happened on the nursery slopes, this shows how delicate peoples heads are, i hope all those people out there that ride without hats take note!

SnowPhony

Visit site
How terribly sad
frown.gif
Scary that it seemed a straightforward knock on the head and makes me realise just how lucky I was after my accident when the hospital couldn't get rid of me fast enough despite a very nasty knock to the head and serious concussion.

RIP. My thoughts are with her family.

Fantasy_World

Visit site
My partner told me about her death this morning and I am devastated for her husband, sons and family
frown.gif

How very tragic.
I just wonder though in light of this accident and it being on a nursery slope, whilst being supervised too, as to whether or not we should all be thinking about wearing head protection when skiing or taking part in other snow sports that can involve speed, collisions or falls/trips.
I was only saying to someone yesterday after I had read about the accident that when you think that people can attain high speeds on ski slopes, even when not taking part competitively. Speeds that can compare with motorcycle speeds in some cases, or even cars ( at lower speeds). Motorcyclists have helmets and car drivers/passengers have seatbelts. But if you are hurtling down a ski slope and gawd only knows what speed then what protection is there for your body and head should an accident happen.
I don't ski and never have so don't know much about the sport. I don't know if there are provisions for safety already in place? But if not then surely there should be.
I know that what happened to Natasha was a tragic accident, but if she had been wearing some form of head protection then this may not have happened. I don't mean that in a callous way especially as this very beautiful and talented lady has tragically lost her life. But I am saying what I am right now in reaction to what has happened and it has highlighted the fact that our heads are indeed precious. We only get one. What may seem a small knock/bang on the head may in fact lead to an injury which is life threatening, in this case it was
frown.gif

Perhaps after this accident there may be some form of safety review with regards to equipment or clothing worn whilst skiing or doing similar sports/activities. I certainly hope there is.
Very, very sad
frown.gif

lucretia

Visit site
never mind certain other people in the news recently, this is really tragic. one day alive and walking away apparently fine, then pretty much gone the next. How awful for them all. and all her connections wondering if they could have done more at the time. I know these things happen to regular people and we never hear but IMO tragic is not enough to describe these things.

Patches

Visit site
How terribly, terribly tragic. What a shock for the family.

It seemed such an innocuous incident as well. I wonder if a post mortem might reveal she had an undiagnosed/unknown aneurysm on the brain, a ticking timebome of sorts, that was susceptible to even minor head trauma ? I realise that's complete speculation on my part, but by all reports it seems such a trivial accident that caused no mark/bump/bruise/bleeding. Seems incredibly surreal to think it has claimed her life. We all bump our heads on things and I've never dreamt I should seek medical attention. Scary.

Just sounded like the sort of accident that hurts nothing but one's pride.

RIP Natasha. Another mother and wife taken too soon, so tragic.

weevil

Visit site
Sadly it is not at all uncommon for people to sustain a brain injury and appear lucid at first, only to deteriorate rapidly later on.
What struck me most about this is the issue of wearing a helmet. I realise that it does come down to personal choice but I can't imagine any reputable establishment teaching someone to ride with wearing a hard hat - so why on earth teach someone to ski without wearing any protection
crazy.gif

sunflower

Visit site
Apparently the post mortem has revealed that her death was due to blunt trauma causing a brain haemorrhage. Very sad indeed
frown.gif

bandit

Visit site
Hey

I am so terribly sad for this, and obviously her leaving behind her young family and husband.

I live in Canada, and before anything, I bought a helmet. It is the norm here in Canada to wear helmets, and if you see people without, you generally assume they are Europeans, and most of the time you're right. That or old school guys who see it much like alot of riders did with the addition of hats / chin straps etc... I mean a Beagler is about as useful as a chocolate fire guard in a fall...

It makes me realise that I was perhaps a bit silly not going to hospital when I cracked my head on black ice earlier this year.... It was such a knock it took my breath away.

I have had concussion a few times, but will be a bit more careful now.

As for those taking the slopes - remember it doesn't matter what slope you are on, falling on hard snow / ice is like falling on concrete.... And Tremblant is not known for fluffy powder snow, so it would likely have been hard packed and icy. I'm making that assumption and do not write from accurate knowledge...

Bx

alsxx

Visit site
This is so sad. RIP

It reminds me of someone I knew who died after having a small bump on her head from falling off her bike on holiday. She too was fine, yet died hours later.