www.horseandhound.co.uk
1. What are they?
2. What do they do?
3. Do they cost more?

Thanks
smile.gif

Hippona

Visit site
My horse has them...they are kind of squared off at the front......my farrier chooses them for him...he tends to be long toed (horse, not farrier) and I think it shortens the hoof and reduces the breakover point and prevents tripping etc.

They dont cost me any extra....but then my farrier is fab.
grin.gif

LadyRascasse

Visit site
1) square shoes
2) ruin your horses feet (my opinoin only)
3) usually a couple of £££ more but not ususally alot

i personally would use them unless you farrier suggest you need to, they are sometimes a nessecery evil. i would never let a farrier put them on my horse due to 2 bad experiences in the past (not with my current farrier)

the farrier would be able to give you a more proffesional veiw

destiny11

Visit site
1. They have a rolled toe which is more square, also there are no toe clips on them.

2. They help the horse by improving the breakover point. My mare wears them as she has slight arthritus in her coffin joints and my vet and farrier recommended them and I have been very happy with them.

3. Think I pay about £10 more than normal shoes.

I prepare to be shot down
grin.gif
grin.gif

TheFarrier

jamesthefarrier.co.uk
1) they are a american invention

2) the speed up breakover and the horse would be shod with very short toes

3) No they shouldnt cost more to have. They are available in most of my horse shoe supplier catalogues and dont cots much more than regular shoes. whether your farrier would choose to absorb the extra cost or charge it to you depends on him/her

I dont know much about them, my initial reaction is to not like them as they seem far to similar to cytek shoes but not as agressive. I wouldnt use them i would rather shoe a horse with a nice rolled toe shoe than NB

personal preference here though i guess. some farriers like them, some horses like them and some horse owners like them.

TheFarrier

jamesthefarrier.co.uk
Like i said i dont like them, i think a nice rolled toed shoe is much better but on certain special cases they do have their place but i would advise against just choosing to use them for the sake of it.

I dont like clipless shoes for starters
smile.gif

Chico Mio

Antedeluvian
Visit site
I have them. FB trips in other shoes so they suit us. He does have short toes and quite boxy hooves tho'. They seem to suit my friend's arabs too.

Here's a site if you want a look:

http://www.hopeforsoundness.com/edss/store/perfprod.html#NBS

Your farrier does need to know how to put them on. I think my current guy is not as good as the previous one but, hey ho. They shouldn't cost any more really.

destiny11

Visit site
Yes, my other horse has quarter clips on the front with the shoe set back slightly and my farrier believes there isn't a great deal of difference but the NB shoes have helped the mare with problems so happy to keep it as it is
smile.gif

Puppy

Visit site
My farrier never charged me anymore when my old boy had them. (he started to trip due to arthritis in his knees)

TheFarrier

jamesthefarrier.co.uk
Why does the vet think they would be a good idea? what was the verbal reasoning? Would like to see xrays
smile.gif

I think its best to go with how your farrier feels as a classic roller with rolled toes set back on the foot is in my opinion a better option but there may be another reason why NB shoes would be the best option for your horse

competitiondiva

Visit site
A horse at our yard started having them but he won't keep them on!! He keeps throwing shoes left right and centre!! Can't see why the owner requested them personally! The horse is never shod long enough to ride!!!!