Natural balance Shoes.

Bri

Visit site
Does anyone's horses wear these? And have they really made a difference to your horse?
Thanks!

sally2008

Visit site
Mine does, and yes, they have made a HUGE difference and I know of many horses who's performance and soundness has been greatly improved by their use.
smile.gif
I wouldn't go back to traditional shoes.

One word of caution though, if you are thinking of using them PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make sure that the farrier you intend to use has been fully trained in their application - many will tell you they know all about it but if they apply an NB shoe to a traditionally trimmed foot it is pointless.

There is lots of useful information to be found about the technique on the Total Foot Protection website.

lizzie_liz

Visit site
our farrier has just put them on my sisters horse, she has only had them on for a week so can't really give any views as she only came sound 2 days ago!

severnmiles

Visit site
My mare wears them and she's stopped tripping but I'd only use them if the horses needs them.

Make sure your farrier doesn't take the mickey over price, I know of someone who pays nearly £80.00 for a set. I pay £47.00. Also like Sally says they must be fitted correctly, the foot is shaped differently and the shoe set slightly back.

Puppy

Visit site
Yes, my old boy wore them for the last couple of years of his life. Yes, they helped him greatly. He had arthritis in his knees and when stiff used to stumble a bit, but they helped him clear the ground better as he brought his leg forward. As a result, he stayed in work quite happily, including occassional jumping.

However, I had a "friend" who was so obsessed with using the latest fad, she put them on her horse all round, despite them not being needed, and the poor creature couldn't move properly in them at all. This was probably also due to using a rather poor farrier - and she was paying £85 a set for them
shocked.gif
crazy.gif

My farrier charged me exactly the same price as a normal set, and told me they cost a whole 80pence more a set for him to buy, so just be careful!

jacks_mum

Visit site
my old boy had them for his navicular and they did help him enormously.

However my new boy has had them a few times, i don't think they are necessary on him, he goes lame eveytime the farrier puts them on him but doesn't go lame when he has normal shoes. I also feel that he doesn't move as well in them and doesn't seem so sure footed with them on.

So a mixed review really.

Bri

Visit site
Thanks everyone.
Farrier is my usual one, who also happens to be my vet's most recommended farrier. Vet will be there when they're put on so will make sure it's all done properly! Should they cost around the same as a normal set then?
And what is it they actually do?

Bri

Visit site
Lizzie-liz can I ask what was wrong with your sister's horse?
My boy is only having them on due to unidentifiable lameness...vet want's to try the most straight forward action first!!

sally2008

Visit site
Hoorah for your vet wanting to rule out obvious problems first rather than dive into your insurance money for MRI scans etc!
smile.gif
I hope it all works out well for you.

In (very) brief, they correct the breakover point, which allows the foot to function correctly and leave the floor in the most efficient and economical way. The links on the website will give you a much better understanding of the principals behind it.

Bri

Visit site
Yes, I know vet is excellent!!
Natural balance are plan A...
Plan B: Inject into coffin bone and pastern joints...
Plan C: MRI scan.

Got all my fingers crossed that they shoes are going to fix him..although to be honest I am confused. I don't understand how his normal shoes could have made him so cripplingly lame!

severnmiles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
In (very) brief, they correct the breakover point, which allows the foot to function correctly and leave the floor in the most efficient and economical way. The links on the website will give you a much better understanding of the principals behind it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alot of farriers now say that having one clip is wrong because it stops the breakover point which is a bad thing, my farrier says that really we should use two clips on the front which encourages the breakover point and doesn't make the foot spread like the one clip shoe does.

Evadiva1514

Visit site
One of my horses has Natural balance shoes fitted.The main reason being that he would start to forge with normal shoes on after about 3 weeks. He generally has very good feet and since having NB shoes his forging has stopped. Mine don't cost me anymore than a normal set, so i will be definitely keeping Alfie in NB Shoes!!