Natural horsemanship for dogs

peanut

Visit site
I've been on HHO for donkeys years but rarely venture into the dog section as I don't have a dog. I'm here for my sister ..

My sister (who has had several working dogs previously) now has a male springer spaniel puppy from a strong working line. He's about six months old and, as I see it, has no respect for her. He herds her, bites her and basically bullies her. In mho, this is because she allows it. She's loathe to break his spirit but needs to gain respect as pack leader.

I bought a 3 yo filly many years ago and the first few weeks were not disimilar to my sister's doggy situation. However, I read a simply wonderful book "Dancing with my dark horse" by Chris Irwin which turned our relationship around and 17 years later that little filly, who is now an Alpha mare, and I have the most wonderful partnership.

My question: Is there a natural horsemanship type book out there for dogs? I've googled and haven't found anything but maybe you lovely HHOers can help please? If I could just find a book like the one I read by Chris Irwin ...

Skib

sites.google.com
I am a Mark Rashid student. The nearest I have found for dogs is I watched a TV program by Graeme Hall
https://www.channel5.com/show/dogs-behaving-very-badly/

He also wrote the book All Dogs Great and Small: What I’ve learned training dogs.

I bought the book but learned most (as with Rashid) from watching the TV. I am not sure whether it is still there on catch up.
Our daughter had a wildly over excited Irish terrier whom we stopped walking. But when we meet up to walk, I now start by calming the dog rather than being flattered by her amazing excitement and delight at seeing us.

paisley

Visit site
Not so much a book, but worth a look , as an alternative to some dog training methods. Its Chirag Patel, 10 things your dog wishes you knew if the link is rubbish. About 20 mins in after a lot of introductions!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

coblets

Visit site
'Don't Shoot the Dog!' is worth a read. Also recommend the dogminded instagram account as a resource.

But it doesn't sound like the dog is 'bullying' your sister or is showing a lack of 'respect'. Rather, sounds like a dog whose exercise - both mental and physical - needs aren't being met. How much work does he get? Could she start him on some sniff work?

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I'm a big fan of the Nothing In Life is Free (NILIF) principle for certain types of dog, dogs only do what is in their best interests/works for them/improves their position in the world. There are plenty of resources online.

Sandstone1

Visit site
I am a Mark Rashid student. The nearest I have found for dogs is I watched a TV program by Graeme Hall
https://www.channel5.com/show/dogs-behaving-very-badly/

He also wrote the book All Dogs Great and Small: What I’ve learned training dogs.

I bought the book but learned most (as with Rashid) from watching the TV. I am not sure whether it is still there on catch up.
Our daughter had a wildly over excited Irish terrier whom we stopped walking. But when we meet up to walk, I now start by calming the dog rather than being flattered by her amazing excitement and delight at seeing us.
That trainer is not good at all in my opinion. Try looking at Chirag Patel. You need to look at positive reinforcement training. Be careful of tv trainers. Some are not good at all and will teach the wrong thing. A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

Skib

sites.google.com
I will do as you suggest. But it is nice when someone says a trainer is not good if they explain reasons.
I use Rashid's teaching a lot when I ride because I started as an adult and by some miracle everything he suggested in his UK demos I went to worked brilliantly for me. Some people dont rate some trainers but it is useful for novices to know why.
I have never owned a dog but had a long and loving childhood relationship with a fox terrier.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Just a musing, but there are negatives in all aspects of life, in every animal species, to not teach a dog to deal with negatives is unfair, IMO. When a dog is allowed to do whatever it likes, and then the behaviour becomes dangerous or risky, and a correction comes from you, someone else or nature, then it has the potential to cause a much bigger conflict. If dogs are taught to deal with low-level negatives from the start, then there is less stress if and when they come from an external source.

some show

Visit site
I agree with others that he just needs more stimulation/something to do to keep his clever mind busy. The idea of dogs trying to dominate us has really been debunked over the years - dogs just do whatever makes life better for themselves, and if that includes biting you/herding you and it gets your attention then they've succeeded!

Sandstone1

Visit site
I will do as you suggest. But it is nice when someone says a trainer is not good if they explain reasons.
I use Rashid's teaching a lot when I ride because I started as an adult and by some miracle everything he suggested in his UK demos I went to worked brilliantly for me. Some people dont rate some trainers but it is useful for novices to know why.
I have never owned a dog but had a long and loving childhood relationship with a fox terrier.
I am sorry I didnt go in to details before but was just going out to walk my dogs so didnt have time for a long reply!
Im not keen on that trainer I have seen him do some silly things. Like for instance trying to stare down a Great Dane that was barking in his face. Great way to get bitten! Forcing a dog that was scared of wooden floors to walk over them. Poor dog was worried about slipping so putting rugs down would have been more sensible. I like Mark Rashid but hes nothing like the dog trainer mentioned. Just my opinion. Far better trainers out there.
Also as soon as some one mentions being pack leader I lose respect for them! Look in to why the dominance theory is outdated and has been disproved! Sorry but not got the time or inclination to get in to a big discussion on it.

Last edited: