natural horsemanship

sprite1978

Visit site
Would I be correct in thinking that many owners who actively practice natural horsemanship, do not ride? would low level lameness be viewed in a different light to these people, if the main activity is ground work? im asking these questions because I have no knowledge of structured natural horsemanship methods. I have a horse who has low grade lameness in several limbs, it maybe temporary but Ive got to thinking about his future. Hes a real pet of a horse and bright as a button. He loves people, and loves to have his brain used. Hes only 9 and too young to think that he wouldn't have a job for the rest of his life.

twiggy2

Visit site
asking lame horse to do any kind of work is wrong in my eyes if the lameness is caused by pain.

why is the horse lame and why do you think it may be temporary?

sprite1978

Visit site
The lameness is 1/10th most of the time, but becomes 2 or 3/10th when in ridden work. no definitive diagnosis, hence my hope it might be temporary, but fear that its long term. I agree with your comment about pain, but that only really comes into play with ridden work.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I "do" NH, and event, dressage, SJ and Trec. I don't think "most" don't ride.

I also would not ground work a lame horse, by enlarge if it is limping it is in pain. Ground work can actually be quite a high athletic occupation.

The exception would be general ground handling to make sure a horse has manners leading for instance. My safety is above limping! But, I would not do a structured session on a limping horse.

But, then I would also not keep a horse if it were permanently limping. I don't mind if they can't "work" as such, but I like to think mine are comfortable enough to be pain free in the field, and also enjoy a walk around the block.

I am not saying anyone else is wrong, we all have different priorities with our horses, but that is where I am at.

I hope your horse comes sound.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
I think a full work up with a good equine vet is called for : lameness should be addressed with any horse. Wating to see if it comes right is not the way to go if you don't know what is wrong.
Often lameness will be worse or more obvious when ridden, that is normal.

sarahann1

Visit site
If it's something you don't know much about, I'd spend a lot of time looking at who does what, which way and make your own mind up which bits will fit for you and your horse.

I'd spend a long time watching YouTube videos and making sure the folk who have done them are in some way qualified or known. Not that being known is always a good thing unfortunately. Make sure you are sure of what you want to achieve with your horse and why. If you are able to, get yourself along to clinics and/or demos. You'll find loads via Western clubs etc, even if you only ever ride English, there will be relevance to you.

Essentially on a very basic level, for Natural Horsemanship or Intelligent Horsemanship or good old fashioned horsemanship (whatever label it's got) you are setting yourself up as leader of your horse, getting it wrong can screw your horse up immensely and you could end up with an anxious mess. It pays to get it as right as you can from the beginning, everyone makes mistakes, but if you can make them smaller, you've got less to fix.

You'll also find there are some very strongly opinionated folk when it comes to this subject, try and keep an open mind.

Personally I find Warwick Schiller, Richard Maxwell and Buck Brannaman make sense to me. They aren't about tricks, they're about a good, safe, relaxed relationship with your horse.

I've just noticed about your horse is lame, bare in mind a lot of ground work can be higher impact than you'd first think, ask yourself honestly could your horse be comfortable doing what you see on the videos?

Last edited:

TwyfordM

Visit site
Regardless of what type of work it is, its still work. Lame horses shouldn't work.

Best bet is to get a proper investigation done to find out what you are working with. Could mean treatment, rest, light work - anything really and if you pick the wrong one you could cause even further damage!

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
If you want something to do with him while he can't exercise maybe look into doing some clicker training with him. You can do some fun things without him having to strain his body at all. I do agree you should get a veterinary opinion on what is wrong and his prognosis.

Blurr

Visit site
Are you looking at doing this with him yourself?

Most 'natural horsemanship' ground work is in preparation to ride, be it Richard Maxwell, Jason Webb, Pat Parelli or Monty or any of the popular cowboys (literally, not being pejorative here). For this type of work, which usually includes round penning or circling on a line, you need a sound horse whether or not you intend to ride.

For people who don't necessarily want to ride, there's horse agility. That's fun horsey stuff on the ground. But you'd still need a sound horse as obstacles can be challenging.

And as Gloi says, there's clicker training, used by riders and non-riders.. This can be a lot of fun (once the basics are established) and lots of tricks can be performed at a stand still, so the horse doesn't have to be sound (people often start when they have a horse on box rest). Also, the horse can chose not to participate.

If, as you say, your horse has lameness in several limbs, it would be best, as others have said, to establish what is causing that lameness and get a prognosis from the vet. Without that it's difficult to know what your options are. I hope this is a temporary thing for him.