Naughty neighbour...

FionaM12

Visit site
Thanks all - I knew I could rely on H&H Forum members to give an array of responses! Some very creative and amusing suggestions. Some of your stories make mine sound quite tame. I'm in the process of installing some more heavy duty fencing than the stuff currently there so will be less worried about the ponies. I think I'll go with the letter option. He needs to be told in no uncertain terms.

If you use the letter option make sure you keep copies of all correspondence and that everything you write is dated, polite and clearly written. If the worse comes to the worse, this is your evidence that you behaved reasonably and are not the one in the wrong.

Do you have a solicitor friend who could check your wording? You need to be very careful what you write.

The moment you chuck things around his property etc you will be seen to be as bad as him, however unfair that might seem to you.

Good luck!

Goldenstar

Visit site
If you use the letter option make sure you keep copies of all correspondence and that everything you write is dated, polite and clearly written. If the worse comes to the worse, this is your evidence that you behaved reasonably and are not the one in the wrong.

Do you have a solicitor friend who could check your wording? You need to be very careful what you write.

The moment you chuck things around his property etc you will be seen to be as bad as him, however unfair that might seem to you.

Good luck!

Returning his property to where it should be is not behaving badly throwing horse poo over would make OP as bad .
I really think OP must talk to the landowner before she writes a letter it's not her land and she really needs the lands owner on side before she writes.

FionaM12

Visit site
Returning his property to where it should be is not behaving badly throwing horse poo over would make OP as bad .
I really think OP must talk to the landowner before she writes a letter it's not her land and she really needs the lands owner on side before she writes.

Yes good point about the landowner. :)

I wasn't responding to your suggestion, but more some of the more "creative and amusing" (as the OP put it) responses! ;)

Personally I still wouldn't chuck it back though, even if it is his property, as I think that might be perceived wrongly and things could escalate. :)

Goldenstar

Visit site
My worry would be that the house holder rings the landowner and says I popped a few turfs over my fence onto your field and the landowner distracted working having dinner whatever says Er yes whatever.
Although OP clearly can write to the householder pointing out the risks to her horses she does not own the land and is not in the postion to demand what's done with it.
Likewise those who suggested the council etc as the first port of call to do this when you don't own the land would be a very bad idea IMO , the landowner might see it as seriously overstepping the mark and issue OP with her marching orders .If you don't own land you need to be a little cautious before involving the council with things .

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
I favour the softly softly approach. My neighbours chuck vegetables and the occasional bottle/can/fireworks into the field bordering our properties. They don't realise the harm they could cause to the cattle and wildlife. I collect the stuff and mention in passing to them the problems stuff that gets dumped can cause, without letting on that I know its them.

Along with the letter, I'd try and chat generally over the fence when they're about. The husband maybe less likely to be antisocial if he knows you.
Sometimes it takes a while for the penny to drop, but its a lot less stressful than getting caught up in a tit for tat dispute.

FionaM12

Visit site
I favour the softly softly approach. My neighbours chuck vegetables and the occasional bottle/can/fireworks into the field bordering our properties. They don't realise the harm they could cause to the cattle and wildlife. I collect the stuff and mention in passing to them the problems stuff that gets dumped can cause, without letting on that I know its them.

Along with the letter, I'd try and chat generally over the fence when they're about. The husband maybe less likely to be antisocial if he knows you.
Sometimes it takes a while for the penny to drop, but its a lot less stressful than getting caught up in a tit for tat dispute.

Agreed. :)