Nauseating

{97702}

Visit site
Awww I always sing happy birthday to my dogs (they love it 🙄) and post happy birthday to them on FB 😊 The two lurchers have to have pretend birthdays (their gotcha dates) because I’ve no idea when they were actually born.

Of course they don’t get presents though, I mean my dogs don’t even get treats 😳😄😄

paddy555

Visit site
We put a small advert in the occasions section of the local newspaper, with picture, announcing "The Boo is Two". (Hangs head in shame). That was 9 years ago. I'm sorry. Not sorry.

I would have been sooooo embarrassed if any of my friends had seen that. Utterly utterly cringe making.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Awww I always sing happy birthday to my dogs (they love it 🙄) and post happy birthday to them on FB 😊 The two lurchers have to have pretend birthdays (their gotcha dates) because I’ve no idea when they were actually born.

Of course they don’t get presents though, I mean my dogs don’t even get treats 😳😄😄
Are greyhounds really into using Facebook then? 😜

On another note - 'gotcha day' - that phrase is terrible too. Sorry x

{97702}

Visit site
Are greyhounds really into using Facebook then? 😜

On another note - 'gotcha day' - that phrase is terrible too. Sorry x

I think it depends on their owners - mine are really into it, Marty has his own fan club not surprisingly! He is (mostly!) the original James Bond, suave and sophisticated

Yeah gotcha day is terrible I agree! I’ve fallen into the habit of using it because everyone does, and I can’t really think what else to call it? ‘Adoption day’ seems too formal, it’s their honorary birthday but people don’t really get that cos they aren’t the lurchers mummy like I am 😆

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I think it depends on their owners - mine are really into it, Marty has his own fan club not surprisingly! He is (mostly!) the original James Bond, suave and sophisticated

Yeah gotcha day is terrible I agree! I’ve fallen into the habit of using it because everyone does, and I can’t really think what else to call it? ‘Adoption day’ seems too formal, it’s their honorary birthday but people don’t really get that cos they aren’t the lurchers mummy like I am 😆

Oh my yes, I can imagine Marty posts cause the internet to have a swoon attack 😍. Does he post pictures of a Martini at breakfast time?

GSD Woman

Visit site
You all have warmed the cockles of my non-existent heart. I posted a rant on FB today about an article that never referred to pet owners, instead it was all pet parent. Funny thing was another friend also posted a rant on FB on the language situation in dog ownership.
My dogs are often called shepherds, a holes, monkey butts and monsters.

paisley

Visit site
Sharp intake of breath. You dont know your dogs Birthday? No cake? We make dog food cake for Birthdays. I'm calling the RSPCA!

Add another one for the RSPCA list- I know his birthday but generally drink some fizzy wine on his behalf and more in total amazement that his self harming lifestyle has got him through another year.
And the answer to when people ask 'What did you get your dog for Xmas?' is always 'He had a lovely walk'

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Mine are referred too by their names or The Dogs. When we're out walking, I usually say, come on you two. I think they're far too noble to be called fur babies or kids.
However, on their birthdays, they are very fond of a barbeque party with lots of kids to play with. They also get a chocolate birthday cake, but the children eat that. They prefer grilled chicken or fish.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
You all have warmed the cockles of my non-existent heart. I posted a rant on FB today about an article that never referred to pet owners, instead it was all pet parent. Funny thing was another friend also posted a rant on FB on the language situation in dog ownership.
My dogs are often called shepherds, a holes, monkey butts and monsters.

'Dog guardians' as it was in one city in CO, as I seem to recall :p

SpringArising

Visit site
Gotcha Day, Fur Baby and Doggo are just grim. Rainbow Bridge is also cringe.

Paw-rents is another one that makes me recoil.

I also really don't like the term Rainbow Baby - I always think it must be strange/uncomfortable for the child to have such an association with a sibling who died.

{97702}

Visit site
Genuine question, I really do promise I’m not being huffy, how does everyone refer to the day they got their rescue dog?

Gotcha day is clearly out 😄😄

Ownivesary I’m guessing is similarly twee?

I do like to remember the day they came into my life.... when I drove all the way back from Aylesbury and Amy threw up in the back of the car when we were a minute from home, that kind of thing 😄

SpringArising

Visit site
Genuine question, I really do promise I’m not being huffy, how does everyone refer to the day they got their rescue dog?

I do like to remember the day they came into my life.... when I drove all the way back from Aylesbury and Amy threw up in the back of the car when we were a minute from home, that kind of thing 😄

Oh please no. Owniversary is even worse! I just say 'Happy X years, [dog name]'.

planete

Visit site
I have a job remembering the immediate family's birthdays, never mind the dogs' or their adoption days. They each have a present to unwrap on Christmas morning because everybody else has one and they are obviously expecting to get some goodies as well. I am probably guilty of the opposite of treating my dogs like honorary humans as I try and think like a dog when dealing with them. In their world, there is no calendar, no birthdays. Perhaps I need to pay human rituals more attention. Certainly no fur babies or rainbow bridges in my world.

Annette4

Visit site

It's a gotcha day in our house :p

Clodagh

Visit site

Gotcha day is OK. Better than owniversary. I agree you need a name to call the day you get them. Not just the 'Oh Why!?' day.
We don't celebrate birthdays - I barely manage to remember the human ones - but T's sister always send's T a slice of her doggy birthday cake and T has never complained about eating it. :)

{97702}

Visit site
Gotcha day is OK. Better than owniversary. I agree you need a name to call the day you get them. Not just the 'Oh Why!?' day.
We don't celebrate birthdays - I barely manage to remember the human ones - but T's sister always send's T a slice of her doggy birthday cake and T has never complained about eating it. :)

Must admit the day I got Millie is known as the ‘well we all make HUGE mistakes in life sometimes’ day 🙄😂

{97702}

Visit site
As we now get puppies ours is 'Never again' Day. Then two years later...boof...off we go again.
Poor Millie, you love her really.

I do???!!! 😳😳😳

Oh.... sorry..... yes, yes of course I do 😄😄😄

You can’t not love her really 😊

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Ricoh shat in the boot of the car on his first trip home too. No finer test of your new dog's temperament than manhandling them out at arm's length and doing a preliminary spongedown before they can even be let into the house. :p

Both of my second hand dogs had a known birth date so we don't do the gotcha day thing, I can see why you'd want to mark it somehow though if birthday unknown.

The Trooper

Visit site
I like the terms (as well as Hairy Baby), it really shows how much people love their animals and how they see them, term of endear I would class all of my animals as my children.

Fair enough it's a little sappy but I am not ashamed to admit I am a total sap when it comes to either my dogs or horses. I regularly refer to them as 'The Girls' (amongst other not so cute names).

I find it nauseating when I hear some of the 'cute' names that people refer to their babies (children) as, babies are strange looking, fat, roley poley, puking, turding machines (in my opinion of course) whereas animals are cute, and loyal, and won't ship you off to a care home...

(PS) I regularly refer to my draft horses as Ponio's

Please take this post with the pinch of salt it is intended to be taken with.

deb_l222

Visit site
I have just been told I am a bad mummy as non of my current dogs have had a Christmas present since they have been with me and I don't know any of their birthdays.

Yep, I am also a bad mummy because none of mine get a Christmas or birthday present and, for the first time ever, I know the exact birthday of all three of them so there's no excuse :)

They have a good life, that's present enough 365 days of the year! The only present my three would want is food and they get fed every day, so there's nothing to buy :p

twiggy2

Visit site

I do like to remembert the day they came into my life.... when I drove all the way back from Aylesbury and Amy threw up in the back of the car when we were a minute from home, that kind of thing 😄
I have to search back on Facebook or what'sapp to remember when each dog came into my life.
I mostly remember how old each dog is (roughly), other half is just as bad, his oldest working collie is somewhere between 11 and 13 and his springer is between 12 and 14 😂. He bred both so no excuses it just does not really matter to either of us.