Navicular Syndrome in a Connemara 5 YR old - how common?

swellhillcottage

Visit site
Bit of an update - pony is 3 days post new bar shoes - moved out of small enclosed paddock area into a small paddock said pony is bouncing out of his skin hooning around (not ideal) but definitely landing heel first admittedly on some bute but at least he is moving like he is supposed to do :) I will video him moving whilst he is on the medication so I don't forget what he should move like!!

S X

stilltrying

Visit site
Glad to hear pony is feeling better. I was about to ask if it was the right hind that was a problem, and see from one of your recent comments that hind gut has already been thrown into the mix!

My friend had a horse who was diagnosed with navicular as a 3yo. The navicular was found on an mri following an injury to his DDFT. He went through a barefoot rehab and came sound in front, however he was also lame on his right hind and subsequently diagnosed with severe hind gut issues. Unfortunately she lost him earlier this year due to the gut problems but it seems there are links between gut problems and feet. Definitely well worth investigating that avenue.

swellhillcottage

Visit site
Glad to hear pony is feeling better. I was about to ask if it was the right hind that was a problem, and see from one of your recent comments that hind gut has already been thrown into the mix!

My friend had a horse who was diagnosed with navicular as a 3yo. The navicular was found on an mri following an injury to his DDFT. He went through a barefoot rehab and came sound in front, however he was also lame on his right hind and subsequently diagnosed with severe hind gut issues. Unfortunately she lost him earlier this year due to the gut problems but it seems there are links between gut problems and feet. Definitely well worth investigating that avenue.

More interesting stuff thank you - how old was he when she lost him? I am pondering the mri and awaiting a price for scans from 3 counties hospital as he isn't insured............

stilltrying

Visit site
More interesting stuff thank you - how old was he when she lost him? I am pondering the mri and awaiting a price for scans from 3 counties hospital as he isn't insured............

He was 6. But i must stress he was, by all accounts, the worst case the vet had seen. He was a very sick horse. If you want to read the full sorry tale have a look at my previous threads re: Teddy.

I know that shoeing is often blamed for navicular, and Ted was shod before being diagnosed, but it was only for around 2 months. By rights he shouldn't really have had navicular. Likewise he shouldnt have had ulcers. He was bought from the field as a 3yo from the stud he was born at and appeared to be a healthy young horse. He quickly went onto a barefoot rehab and had a relatively quiet life with a high fibre, low sugar diet.

He was insured, however all the medical procedures and money spent didnt actually get the diagnosis, all it did was put him through distressing procedures which made his condition worse.

I have a young dun conne cross, rising 5, and if i were in your shoes, i'd go down the barefoot rehab route for sure and would also try feeding a hind gut supplement, as i think you've said you are doing, and take from there.

My young conne is currently barefoot. I got her in Jan and while she didn't have shoes, she had not been managed as a barefoot horse. She did sporadic work, had little turn out and had been fed a high sugar diet. Her feet weren't great. I've changed her management and her diet and the change in her foot quality is already visible. I am hoping she will be a little event horse, and if so, she will wear shoes for studs, but she will still be treated as a barefoot horse regardless.

swellhillcottage

Visit site
He was 6. But i must stress he was, by all accounts, the worst case the vet had seen. He was a very sick horse. If you want to read the full sorry tale have a look at my previous threads re: Teddy.

I know that shoeing is often blamed for navicular, and Ted was shod before being diagnosed, but it was only for around 2 months. By rights he shouldn't really have had navicular. Likewise he shouldnt have had ulcers. He was bought from the field as a 3yo from the stud he was born at and appeared to be a healthy young horse. He quickly went onto a barefoot rehab and had a relatively quiet life with a high fibre, low sugar diet.

He was insured, however all the medical procedures and money spent didnt actually get the diagnosis, all it did was put him through distressing procedures which made his condition worse.

I have a young dun conne cross, rising 5, and if i were in your shoes, i'd go down the barefoot rehab route for sure and would also try feeding a hind gut supplement, as i think you've said you are doing, and take from there.

My young conne is currently barefoot. I got her in Jan and while she didn't have shoes, she had not been managed as a barefoot horse. She did sporadic work, had little turn out and had been fed a high sugar diet. Her feet weren't great. I've changed her management and her diet and the change in her foot quality is already visible. I am hoping she will be a little event horse, and if so, she will wear shoes for studs, but she will still be treated as a barefoot horse regardless.

Thank you :)

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
I know you've already had lots done to test him but have you tried a thermal image which might help you pinpoint that hind soreness at least? A lot cheaper than other methods and remarkably helpful when done and read correctly.

swellhillcottage

Visit site
I know you've already had lots done to test him but have you tried a thermal image which might help you pinpoint that hind soreness at least? A lot cheaper than other methods and remarkably helpful when done and read correctly.

That's a good idea! Thank you :) I will try and get the front end sorted before we poke around too much into the backend though :)