Neatsfoot oil - can I use it on all my tack?

soloequestrian

Visit site
I asked recently about glycerine saddle soap and it's not to be used on some tack now (the newer stuff mainly).
I bought some new (quite cheap) reins recently and the instructions said to oil with neatsfoot before using, so I bought some neatsfood and now thinking about oiling lots of my tack - for some reason I haven't had any oil for years.
Does the same apply as for glycerine soap i.e. should I avoid oiling some things e.g. Farfax girth, newer posher bridle etc?

my bfg

Visit site
I used to use Neatsfoot on all my tack, espically new tack to soften it, but found as soon as there was damp weather the oiled tack became mouldy very quickly compared to the unoiled, so have stopped using it and use a balm instead

Odyssey

Visit site
There are a couple of saddlers who have advised against this on other posts, and suggested alternatives. Sbloom (if I've got that right) is one. Hopefully they'll come along to answer your question. Otherwise, If you type in "leather conditioner recipe" there's a years old thread all about it; in it the saddler cremedemonthe explains why not to use neatsfoot oil, and gives their recipe. There have been threads about saddle soap too, might be worth typing that into the search bar too. I think leather balm is recommended for conditioning tack instead of saddle soap now. Cleaning tack has completely changed from when I was young, and you used saddle soap every time!

Last edited:

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Simple answer, no! Yep, we've had lots of discussions about leather care on here, have a search. Leather has changed, and our knowledge has changed. cremedemonthe's Old Saddler's Blend is awesome, I have a saddle fitting colleague who is preparing an 80 page booklet on leather care, can't wait, I'll be recommending it to everyone!

soloequestrian

Visit site
Thanks, I will have a look. I got the neatsfoot because it was specifically in the instructions for the new reins - these ones Buy Shires Aviemore Plain Reins | Online for Equine. I went cheap because I want to try making a pair of split reins to try with my new Transcend double bridle to see how the horse reacts before I shell out £75 for the posh set! I already have a spare set of cheeks to make the split part. I figured I'll only be using them in the school so quality isn't such a big deal but I'm actually impressed with the Shires ones - they seem very robust.