Neck protection when riding

polly123

Visit site
Hi, I had a fall recently, we were walking quietly when my horse spooked, took off and I came off. No major damage was done thank goodness, however I did hurt my neck which got me thinking what is there out there that would help protect a riders neck? Yes we have hats, back/body protectors, safety stirrups etc but I haven't seen any products to help protect your neck?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I had a nasty neck injury in 1991, I sold up horses and gave up for a while afterwards. When I started again, I found a stock with in-built neck protection. Like a mini neck brace.

TBH, even a tight neck roll helps with whiplash.

Also, keeping it warm helps tremendously.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
The inflatable cycling helmet was designed to give protection to a greater head and neck surface than a traditional cycling helmet and also to protect against rotational falls.
I think the designers looked at developing a similar product for the equestrian market, but the way a rider falls is quite different from a cyclist, so I don't think any have made it onto the market yet.

Follysmum

Visit site
My fall was at a walk and I did the opposite of of whip lash and ended up with an incomplete spinal cord Injury and a list of other moderate to severe issues with discs and nerves.

I do wonder if I had been wearing an air jacket would I have got away a bit lighter, Drs say my hat for sure saved me as it took most of the force. Can definitely recommend the Tipperary hat.

ccls

Visit site
Rodney Powell do a neck support , firm foam pad with velcro attachment. Viovet seem to stock them, but note the "stock" in the pictures is not part of it. I've had one for ages and still use it.

Follysmum

Visit site
Thanks everyone, will definitely look into an air jacket as I did get a scare especially as I was only riding at a walk in what I thought was a safe environment

Sometimes a fall at walk can do a lot more damage as I found out you don’t seem to bounce just land with a thud

polly123

Visit site
Rodney Powell do a neck support , firm foam pad with velcro attachment. Viovet seem to stock them, but note the "stock" in the pictures is not part of it. I've had one for ages and still use it.
Oh that sounds interesting, will go have a look at it just now. Thank you

Hanno Verian

Visit site
As most people have said - Air jacket Hitair, Point2 or similar, I think the protection from a stock is negligable (but I'm not a medic so might be wrong)!