Nedz Advance bedding review with pics.

catymmh

www.manage-my-horse.com
Started using Nedz Advance last week and I absolutely love it. I've written a review on my blog for anyone interested with some pics too as it is very different bedding! Just thought with the shavings shortage it was worth looking at. I have a filthy horse and it's made it all much more bearable!!
smile.gif
I will be sticking with it without a doubt! my blog

Joss

Visit site
Yes me too. I swapped one of mine over on saturday & had grave reservations having spread 6 bags of what looked like Pony nuts over the floor it looked pretty pants
frown.gif

But, It has spread, fluffed up & generally looks not bad at all. Its super, super absorbant & an absolute doddle to muck out.
smile.gif
smile.gif

Can I just ask have you tried to make banks with yours? I wondered about putting in a bale of Nedz Bedz original around the edge to make a bank, what do you think?

ernikins

Visit site
I used what was left of my old bedding at first to make banks, now that the bedding has fluffed up more though I think you probably could use it in the banks, but I have just bought a bale of nedz pro and used half of it in the banks to top them up which seems to be working brilliantly - the nedz original would be the same I am sure - just gives a bit of something extra round the edges.

mrdarcy

www.rockcrunchers.co.uk
Me too! I didn't realise how much I hated shavings until I started using Nedz Advance. I could never go back to shavings now. For banks I used my old bedding but if setting up a bed from scratch I would use a bale of Pro or Original.

Unfortunately I'm about to move one of my horses onto a livery yard where I have no choice of bedding. I will be campaigning to get the YO to convert to Advance!

ernikins

Visit site
I can't remember exactly how much it was as really bad and just put it on my credit card but I think it was £7.50 ish - which I know sounds a lot but I was having to put two and a half bales of bedding in a week before and now I only have to put one bag in every week to ten days!

Joss

Visit site
I paid £6.37 a bag for the Advance delivered. So far have used 6 bags to set up bed & one bale of Original round the sides to make a bank. I do have rubber matting so just do a half bed.

catymmh

www.manage-my-horse.com
I paid £6.45 a bag and had 74 delivered it was slightly more if I'd had less.

I am a week down the line and loving it, I will not go back to shavings and I love that there is no smell!

catymmh

www.manage-my-horse.com
i should add that by now I'd usually have added at least one bag of shavings and don't need to add any Nedz at all and I muck out properly every day so I don't deep bed at all. I am honestly so impressed.

ernikins

Visit site
No it's not wood. It is chopped straw which means it breaks down in around a month rather than around a couple of years in the case of shavings. It also means that it can safely be used ast fertiliser as it doesn't remove nitrates from the soil as wood based products do.

CBAnglo

Visit site
Do you think it is better than Nedz Bedz (I guess the original)? I am thinking about converting to a straw based bedding and am looking at all of the alternatives.

catymmh

www.manage-my-horse.com
I've never tried the other but I have tried bed-down which seems similar chopped straw and shavings but I have to say Nedz Advance is very very different to anything else and as I've said the fact there is no smell is amazing which I have never found with any other bedding.

If you are a member on mmh I am giving away 6 months supply of Nedz Advance this sunday at 9pm!!!

martlin

www.martlinequestrian.co.uk
Nedz state quite clearly on their website that the Advance is suitable for deep or semi-deep litter and shouldn't be fully mucked out
tongue.gif

the others in nedz range, ie the original and the pro are more suitable for full muck out
wink.gif

catymmh

www.manage-my-horse.com
hmm well they told me that I could muck it out properly and do. I'm guessing you could do whatever you liked with it.By mucking out fully I don't scoop everything up the banks (as you would with shavings it's too heavy for this) ... I dig out the wet patches and pick up all the droppings and it works perfectly for me and I honestly couldn't be happier with it.

ernikins

Visit site
This is taken from their website on usage - they told me at YH Live that you shouldn't really deep litter it. I wouldn't as it is so easy just to take out the wet patch on a daily basis.

Usage:

In an average 12ft x 12ft stable six to eight bags of Nedz Advance will be needed to set up the initial bed, the muck and wet patches should then be removed daily, but the bed should not be turned over, and water should not be added. Depending on usage a new bag will be required every three to five days. See How to get the best out of your bedding

ernikins

Visit site
Sorry I assumed you meant deep litter it - I turn over the clean stuff in the advance a couple of times a week to just fluff it up so I guess you could call that semi deep litter!! I think the pro is one you have to deep litter and the other one is more like traditional straw.

martlin

www.martlinequestrian.co.uk
I have been using both Pro and Original and they are absolutely fine for full muck out, they also can be deep littered, but I find Pro better for deep littering than Original as Original is very fluffy and doesn't stay in place so well.
wink.gif

mrdarcy

www.rockcrunchers.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
great ernikins ! I do just that pick out the wee and remove all pooey
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Tis what I do - and it couldn't be easier. I don't touch the rest of the bed - no point as it's totally clean.

I haven't used the wood pellets (various products on the market) but I imagine as wood is not as absorbent as straw that it wouldn't be as good or rot down as quickly.