Need a show/passport name for my Thoroughbred!

Rhi_B95

New User
Visit site
Hi all,

First time poster, long time lurker here! I've been trying for months to think of a passport/show name for my 17hh chestnut gelding Max (no name on passport), and now we're coming into winter it's the ideal time to finally get a name put onto his passport ahead of starting to compete next season!

So what suggestions do you wonderful people have? He's an irish thoroughbred out of Mahler and River Clyde, bred at the Beeches Stud in co. Waterford. I've been trying to think of something that's either irish, a bit of a play on words, is classy or a combination etc...but he's definitely not a "valegro" type 😆

Thanks again gang!

p.s. I would post a photo, but I'm struggling to figure out how it's done!

Visit site
Your lad is well bred to be a staying chaser- BY Mahler and OUT of River Clyde who is by Presenting. But I can also see how he never made it as a racehorse! I personally would never buy a Mahler for racing - too big and slow. Cross that with a Presenting you are asking for a slow, slow horse! But they do have great temprements on both sides of the family and tend to jump well!

The River Clyde runs through Glasgow and was a major shipping port and dockyard. So you could go down the nautical theme - Big Slow Boat!?! Sorry! That's a bit mean but that's what I would have called him if he had been a racehorse 😂😂😂

fetlock

Visit site
I will probably get corrected but i was told the Irish for chestnut was Donnrua, what about Donnrua River? It has a certain amount of alliterative merit, harks back to his colour and also his breeding. I think it sounds quite classy too.

Can't think of much but I do like that name.

Rhi_B95

New User
Visit site
Hi all,

First time poster, long time lurker here! I've been trying for months to think of a passport/show name for my 17hh chestnut gelding Max (no name on passport), and now we're coming into winter it's the ideal time to finally get a name put onto his passport ahead of starting to compete next season!

So what suggestions do you wonderful people have? He's an irish thoroughbred out of Mahler and River Clyde, bred at the Beeches Stud in co. Waterford. I've been trying to think of something that's either irish, a bit of a play on words, is classy or a combination etc...but he's definitely not a "valegro" type 😆

Thanks again gang!

p.s. I would post a photo, but I'm struggling to figure out how it's done!
Here’s a photo of said beastie

Attachments

• D5E0E97D-41DD-4EFB-B7EE-E243F089362A.jpeg
    D5E0E97D-41DD-4EFB-B7EE-E243F089362A.jpeg
    849.8 KB · Views: 47

Rhi_B95

New User
Visit site
Your lad is well bred to be a staying chaser- BY Mahler and OUT of River Clyde who is by Presenting. But I can also see how he never made it as a racehorse! I personally would never buy a Mahler for racing - too big and slow. Cross that with a Presenting you are asking for a slow, slow horse! But they do have great temprements on both sides of the family and tend to jump well!

The River Clyde runs through Glasgow and was a major shipping port and dockyard. So you could go down the nautical theme - Big Slow Boat!?! Sorry! That's a bit mean but that's what I would have called him if he had been a racehorse 😂😂😂

That’s right...you know your racers! He actually never even trained, he unfortunately has a bit of a whistle which would have been too expensive to fix with not enough guarantee that he’d do well...you know what racing is like! He’s got a fantastic temperament and loves to jump, but is definitely not slow (by every day standards anyway). Definitely big and chunky, but not too much of a fan of the big slow boat idea, although I see your logic 😂

Visit site
That’s right...you know your racers! He actually never even trained, he unfortunately has a bit of a whistle which would have been too expensive to fix with not enough guarantee that he’d do well...you know what racing is like! He’s got a fantastic temperament and loves to jump, but is definitely not slow (by every day standards anyway). Definitely big and chunky, but not too much of a fan of the big slow boat idea, although I see your logic 😂

I've worked in national hunt racing for 15 years 😂 Ive also never met a Mahler or a Presenting that hasn't needed a wind op! He looks lovely! Exactly as I would expect him to look - ginger ginger!

Rhi_B95

New User
Visit site
That makes perfect sense. Glad to know he’s not alone in his wind issues! I know who to come to if/when he needs his 😬

Rhi_B95

New User
Visit site
I've worked in national hunt racing for 15 years 😂 Ive also never met a Mahler or a Presenting that hasn't needed a wind op! He looks lovely! Exactly as I would expect him to look - ginger ginger!

That makes perfect sense. Glad to know he’s not alone in his wind issues! I know who to come to for advice if/when he needs his 😬

tristar

Visit site
vikings copper beech, i am hopeless at names, but ford in waterford comes from the viking fiord, i think, and ireland was invaded by the vikings, and ireland has loads of copper beech trees

Rhi_B95

New User
Visit site
vikings copper beech, i am hopeless at names, but ford in waterford comes from the viking fiord, i think, and ireland was invaded by the vikings, and ireland has loads of copper beech trees
So imaginative! I knew I could rely on good old H&H members to come up with the good stuff :)

gadetra

Visit site
Abhainn Dearg is the Irish for Red Rover - pronounced Aow-an Jar-ig.
Rua is another name for Red in Irish, You could stick an 'An' in front of it to make him The Red River - An Abhainn Dearg. If he's a big lad he can take a "the' for presence!