Need a TB or blood type stallion. Ideas pls?

Blonde1989

New User
Visit site
Hi,

4 years ago I had an embryo transfer from my advanced event mare who is a Belgium Warmblood by Pik Solo. I put her to Grafenstolz and she produced a lovely mare, really just the same as her. I cant see much of the Graf influence. Unfortunately, the foal was born windsept as she was a really large foal and her leg has never fully straightened. We therefore think her future lies in breeding as there is no hereditary issue. We really want something from the same line as my advanced mare and as she is still competing, breeding from her daughter who is not fit for high level eventing seems the best option.

I need the following in a stallion;
A very straight mover
Excellent trainable temperament
Light frame - real blood type or lots of TB as the mare is a little heavier than I would like.
Long neck as mare has a slightly short one.
Obviously must move and jump too.

I am a little out of the loop with current stallions so thought I would ask for some help. I have looked at The Stallion Company and Billy Stud Stallions. Thats it so far.

Any advice much appreciated

popsdosh

Visit site
I will apologise first but I need to be blunt with you.
Why breed from her when there is a likelihood her condition is congenital particularly if she has not straightened up with time ? What tells you its not a hereditary issue as it most certainly can be .

Last edited:

Blonde1989

New User
Visit site
The vet... Obviously I wouldn't do it without having taken this advice. She had remedial work done but she was away at stud and it wasn't done quickly enough after her birth. Hence it has never corrected.

Alec Swan

Visit site
Does the deformity affect, in any way, her way of 'going'? Has she been backed and can she be ridden and expected to move in a manner which would allow her to emulate her dam?

With the dam's achievements and her breeding and the fact that I'd imagine that the foal was at a competent stud with attending and experienced vets on hand, the fact that no remedial work was done, comes as a surprise. Could it be that a windswept foal which doesn't straighten itself, in time, could or should be considered to have a genetic deformity? I don't know the answer, it's simply a question!

Being born 'windswept', could as you say be the result of her size as a foal and related to the available space whilst within, but it could also be a genetic flaw and one which could be replicated. The choice of which may only be evident after the birth of her offspring. The test I suppose, would be to put her in foal as cheaply as possible, and if she reproduces her own image, then put the foal down at weaning and if she can't be ridden, then the mare herself.

I'd be with popsdosh on this and be extremely cautious.

Alec.

joulsey

Visit site
I can't comment on whether or not the mare is suitable to breed from, but Siren's Missile is a lovely stallion and throws some cracking stock.

no_no_nanette

Visit site
Watermill Swatch, stands at Kylemore Stud; take a look at the Dublin Show winners of the TB stallion class as well - sadly not all will be available AI, but some definitely are. Well Chosen, also at Kylemore, is a lovely type, with the qualities that you describe, and his offspring are really starting to make their mark in eventing and showjumping.

Escada2004

Visit site
Ive used Mermus R on my BWP showjumping mare as she has quite a lot of bone and thick set, i wanted to refine a little and he has a fair amount of TB blood. My foal is very very nice, lovely personality, bold yet very gentle and a real nice stamp. Maybe one to look at for your mare? Foal moves beautifully to, although so does his mum ;-)

Springs

Visit site
You could look at Spring's Spirit, 75% TB with a super jump. Young stock are proving to be very trainable and have his jump. He is available by chilled or fresh AI from Stallionai and can be shipped anywhere in the UK.

Good luck in your search

Blonde1989

New User
Visit site
What a tough decision this is in a number of ways.

Thanks for all the replies.
Helsington Dark Secret is way too stocky
Spring Spirit isn't proven enough for me yet
I really like Mermus R but think he is just a bit too heavy still.

I am interested by Sula Blue although some say he isn't that impressive when seen in the flesh.
Also interested in Upsilon but as he is young, I don't know much about what he has thrown so far.
Also like Watermill Swatch and Well Chosen but as they are older stallions would be nice to see if anyone knows what their progeny are up to.

Thanks again everyone. I will try and work out how to upload a picture of my 4 year old and her mother.

cundlegreen

Visit site
What a tough decision this is in a number of ways.

Thanks for all the replies.
Helsington Dark Secret is way too stocky
Spring Spirit isn't proven enough for me yet
I really like Mermus R but think he is just a bit too heavy still.

I am interested by Sula Blue although some say he isn't that impressive when seen in the flesh.
Also interested in Upsilon but as he is young, I don't know much about what he has thrown so far.
Also like Watermill Swatch and Well Chosen but as they are older stallions would be nice to see if anyone knows what their progeny are up to.

Thanks again everyone. I will try and work out how to upload a picture of my 4 year old and her mother.

I had a Watermill Swatch mare. Disappointing mover (out of a IDxTB dam, but a lovely person, very easy to break, and would do anything for you. Had a really good, bold jump.