Need brakes !!

karenpi

Visit site
Took my boy out on a hunt ride yesterday with his Myler Kimblewick MB04 mouthpiece and suffered total brake failure. He leans on me and the head goes down and off we go. I have tried all forms of gags to lift his head (including Cheltenham) and they don't work. I had previously tried a 43LP mouthpiece but found that a bit too much. We normally ride in a Myler snaffle with the MB04.

Any ideas?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I find that a waterford with a flash noseband works wonders for my lad. He can get very strong in fast work and has a tendancy to lean.

The combination of the bit and the flash makes him much more rideable.

miss_horsemad

Visit site
Hey. This wont work for everyone... but i have a mare, that had serious brake failure. We couldnt even have a canter in the school let alone out hacking... without her bolting, or throwing head to the floor, ripping reins from my hands. Teeth etc checked - all fine. She was in a pelham first, changed to dutch gag, then tried roller bits etc... then one day stuck her in a hackamore!!! the change was amazing. The pony i couldnt stop at all, suddenly became a new pony (she suddenly had nothing to fight or lean against, and is very respectful of the curb chain, altho i only need it loose on the first hole). I now do show jumping, x-country, gymkhana, everything with her and her brakes and steering are fantastic. A complete joy to ride!!
smile.gif
- If the Hackamore hadnt worked, my next stop was gonna be a Waterford tho, as i know lots of people who have had sucess with those!! The problem with bitting, is its so individual, what works for one, doesnt for another, but im sure your'll find the ideal one for yours!! Good Luck.

ForeverBroke_

Visit site
My friends pony is a big strong cob with a massive neck and when he feels like it, he's a-gooone. Anywho, she's tried everything without being too severe and ruining his mouth , and also because the more severe he gets the higher his head goes. Anyway, she's tried a waterford gag with flash and a martingale and he's never bombed off since. Perfect!