Need help please, do i get a third dog?

Shady

Visit site
I really do need some genuine advice from the dog experts on here:) sorry, it's a bit long :eek:
I never wanted a dog until i moved to France and fell in love with a Grand Bleu de Gascogne puppy, nobody told me they weren't really for pets and of course later, all the old gaffers sniggered at the mad English woman walking her big hound but the truth was, she was amazing. Calm, gentle, perfect in the house, perfect with all animals and kids, she went everywhere with us and learnt the difference between ' not too far' and 'allez ' for going off and doing her own thing. She loved other dogs so much that at 2years old we got a male Weim to match her in size and energy and i thought she would be happy. WRONG , she adored him outside , worried over him and played endlessly but inside he could not touch her or sleep too near, never nasty but she'd bark and move away. The more he tried the more she reacted but outside they were always together,always running and playing, tails wagging. Inside Loki was always alone and it was obvious to us that he missed the connection, they are very loving dogs.
I believed it was just him as we had other dogs stay, including a male Weim, no problems, no aggression so i admit that when we lost Loki this year and got another Weim i didn't anticipate the same problem but in fact it's worse and perhaps because she is older(9) she isn't massively tolerant of him outside either, especially when he does zoomies all round her, other days she will play for hours and if he cries she is there straight away checking on him but again, he cannot touch her at all in the house and i feel sorry for him sleeping alone all the time.
Obviously my question is, if i get another dog will it make it worse for her? will 2 gang up on her and torment her even more or will they bond and leave her alone? They are with us all the time so maybe that's as good as it can be given the situation?
I really don't know, i am more experienced with cats but i'd like to know your views / experiences, good and bad . I couldn't bear to make things worse for her but equally i look at the pup who is now 5 months old and i can see he is just like Loki and is missing something important that most dogs( except her!) need in their lives as well as us.
Thanks for reading. xxxxx

{97702}

Visit site
I would definitely say get a third - and I don't believe that it would make it worse for J at all :) quite a few of my greyhound bitches have been stand-offish with their house mates, I used to see pictures of other people's dogs lying together in happy doggy heaps and would despair that mine would never do that! The fact she played
with L means she liked having him around, and I'm sure she would feel the same about have 2 canine friends instead of one :)

Shady

Visit site
Thanks Lev darling :), i haven't even discussed it with Rob yet, just mulling it round and round in my head whilst watching the dynamics between them and feeling conflicted about the whole thing.
If anything Nickel is more dominant than Loki was and goes on and on at J until she's barking her bloody head off at him and huffs herself off to another spot, granted this is a puppy thing too but Weims are full on chaos for years!, i keep wondering if another dog would give her back her space and a bit of quiet or perhaps she will be picked on more and also feel left out if the other 2 prefer each other , she does like to play with N sometimes, ahhhhh i dunno Lev :) xx

{97702}

Visit site
Ah I do know that one - Millie lurcher is adorable, but at the start she ragged Hoover endlessly! She is better now thanks to some stern interventions and Millie settling down a bit :)

I actually think the two youngsters would play together, and J could pick and choose when she wanted to, on her terms. I'm assuming you would get another Weim? (that means choosing another fab name you know!!!) It is always difficult to judge dynamics, I have the same agony every time I get another, but three are easier than two :)

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
It sounds like she wants her own space inside, so the third dog might end up being a mate for the Weim, not her. As she's an older dog, she might be just intolerant of crazy pups doing zoomies, but if she wasn't tolerant of the other Weim, I think I'd be tempted to hold off unless you aren't too concerned about her having a mate.

MissTyc

Visit site
My older bitch is dog intolerant, more so with puppies we've found. She doesn't speak their puppy language and doesn't like their lack of manners but also is incapable of handling it so ends up aloof and involved.
Reading your situation, I don't think I would get another dog while your boy is still young/adolescent. Or at least not another young dog. An older rescue with good social skills who would a) play with the Weim, but b) not annoy the bitch might be a solution ... At worst you end up with a miserable bitch who can't get away (does she have her own space? In the end, my bitch moved upstairs into my bedroom like she'd always coveted while puppy remained downstairs - this went a long way to smoothing things over between them) and total chaos with two young dogs riling each other up and having a huge amount of fun at the expense of everything and everyone!

Shady

Visit site
Thanks for your replies :)
Lev... Another Weim? :eek3::eek3: nooooooo, 1 is enough, i love the breed , they are awesome but 2 young Weims would be more than even a crazy person like me could handle!! :D x i was thinking another scent hound maybe as they are calmer and sweet natured but a smaller one like an Ariege?

CT... We even bought another sofa so they could have one each as Loki kept trying to snuggle up, they were together for 7 years but he was never allowed to touch her, not even a paw, yet the cats could climb all over her and sleep on her back, they still can. Loki used to try and be sneaky and inch across the sofa but she always knew and the moment a bit of him touched her, off she'd get and go to the other sofa or another bed in the house. It's obviously going to be the same with this one even when he's older but perhaps i should just respect her and how she is and not disrupt her life any more.......x

MissTyc... I totally get what you are saying here and the chaos another pup could bring, Weims are a breed that never stops and another young one of any breed keeping that energy up all the time could trash my house, have the cats doing the wall of death all the time to get away or turn me into a shrieking fish wife! The problem with a young/mature dog is that i have 6 cats , horses and no bounderies here, i live in the middle of now where and the pup is learning from Jess not to disappear, i would worry that an older dog could come with a different set of problems for me. There's loads of space here so Jess can get away but she is a dog who loves her comforts, ie the sofa!!
I'm looking at them now and Jess is on her sofa with a cat snuggled up to her and pups is all on his own in a tiny ball on the other sofa and i can't help but feel guilty..... stupid really i guess x

Oscar

Visit site
I would say no, I have 3 dogs 2 terriers and a Doberman, the dobe is youngest and was last in and it was hard work. He's 5 and still very playful and has too much bounce for the other twos liking!! All 3 of them however seem to be more human focused than canine I'd say. Only on walks do they show any pack mentality, therwise they are happy to do their own thing as long as they can see one of us.

Shady

Visit site
Just picked up our third dog sunday just gone... a Weim:p

I have no advice but this is our first weim so I have loved reading this,he is a ball of energy!

Oh how lovely, well done, you mad person :D
Did you opt for a male or female? it makes a difference i believe
Have you got a pic? i would love to see it
My advice is this.... watch as many Weim video's on Youtube as you can, they have some distinctive character traits that they all share, some that are very , very funny but some things could be mistaken for slight aggression when they are just talking to you or being mad! be very firm if you have a male, they want to rule and are clever and sneaky! also very loving so do need to have the balance between lots of cuddles and strong bounderies. They are also greedy and will look for any opportunity to eat more and steal food, ANYBODY'S food!!!
Lol, you are going to have a lot of fun with possibly some major hair pulling and thinking what have i done!! my first one never chewed anything, this one wants to eat my house :D
My last advice is to socialize as much as possible, some will guard more despite this being mostly bred out of them xxx

Shady

Visit site
I would say no, I have 3 dogs 2 terriers and a Doberman, the dobe is youngest and was last in and it was hard work. He's 5 and still very playful and has too much bounce for the other twos liking!! All 3 of them however seem to be more human focused than canine I'd say. Only on walks do they show any pack mentality, therwise they are happy to do their own thing as long as they can see one of us.

Yes, point taken Oscar , could be very hard work and not go as i would like, for instance,my last Weim was amazing with the cats , even when a pup, he never chased them, this one chases them all over and they are not keen on him at all! he is not nasty to them but it is possible that that could change if another dog joined in.

ljohnsonsj

Visit site
Oh how lovely, well done, you mad person :D
Did you opt for a male or female? it makes a difference i believe
Have you got a pic? i would love to see it
My advice is this.... watch as many Weim video's on Youtube as you can, they have some distinctive character traits that they all share, some that are very , very funny but some things could be mistaken for slight aggression when they are just talking to you or being mad! be very firm if you have a male, they want to rule and are clever and sneaky! also very loving so do need to have the balance between lots of cuddles and strong bounderies. They are also greedy and will look for any opportunity to eat more and steal food, ANYBODY'S food!!!
Lol, you are going to have a lot of fun with possibly some major hair pulling and thinking what have i done!! my first one never chewed anything, this one wants to eat my house :D
My last advice is to socialize as much as possible, some will guard more despite this being mostly bred out of them xxx

We went for male, I always do I don't know why I just prefer dogs over bitches. Oh yes I know a few and everyone has said the same about them needing training from like, yesterday! He's been a very good boy so far to be honest we've just had a mad 15 mins playing at work and now he is zonked out! He has joined a Jack russell and a yorkie in my house, they have let him know who is boss already :p The chewing is the only thing im concerned about but managing to watch his every move at the moment and replace pieces of house with his toys :p
Here is Mickey!
22089407_904161236404500_2658010107117230116_n.jpg

22089030_904200893067201_9048074873719939550_n.jpg

{97702}

Visit site

LOL I have 2 11-year-old greyhounds and a 9-year-old lurcher and I have just acquired a year old lurcher - other than a few issues with the youngster ragging my big greyhound dog, which were quickly stamped out, they have been fine :) Maybe it differs depending on the breeds involved :)

{97702}

Visit site
Thanks for your replies :)
Lev... Another Weim? :eek3::eek3: nooooooo, 1 is enough, i love the breed , they are awesome but 2 young Weims would be more than even a crazy person like me could handle!! :D x i was thinking another scent hound maybe as they are calmer and sweet natured but a smaller one like an Ariege?

I had to google an Ariege - are you mad :D :D Get a normal dog :D :D xx

Chiffy

Visit site
Gorgeous pup. I love having three dogs. I have a pup now 19weeks, a 5 yr old and a 10 yr old. My 5 yr old had become rather steady under the influence of the older one. The pup has rejuvenated her and they play endlessly. The old one joins in a little occasionally but can be left to chill out and not be bothered by the young ones. It does help keep the oldest thinking 'young' though. So good all round!

Shady

Visit site
We went for male, I always do I don't know why I just prefer dogs over bitches. Oh yes I know a few and everyone has said the same about them needing training from like, yesterday! He's been a very good boy so far to be honest we've just had a mad 15 mins playing at work and now he is zonked out! He has joined a Jack russell and a yorkie in my house, they have let him know who is boss already :p The chewing is the only thing im concerned about but managing to watch his every move at the moment and replace pieces of house with his toys :p
Here is Mickey!
22089407_904161236404500_2658010107117230116_n.jpg

22089030_904200893067201_9048074873719939550_n.jpg

Oh he is totally gorgeous, very pretty too, some have too much width between the eyes, i love everything about Weims but that sweet blue eyed gaze fools everybody into thinking they are easy. When i met the breeder of my first one he warned me that if i chose i male i would have to be stronger, that he would have the more dynamic character but that he would want to dominate , i was like ,poo poo iv'e just trained a Gascogne hound when most begger off over the hills, how hard can it be?!!! well, old Yeller had nothing on a Weim and i learnt the hard way that along with all the cuddles they want they have got your number from the minute you give in to them coz theyr'e just so damn cute!!
Buy Mickey a bloody big bone, that should help with the teething( unless he has a sensitive stomach, then he will crap all over your house!!) OR your other dogs will want it so a nasty fight occurs. xxx
PS, hope this doesn't sound all preachy but do watch him for bloat xxxxxx

Alec Swan

Visit site
OK so everyone tells you that you should go ahead, and who am I to argue with that?! I would though suggest that forewarned is forearmed; Two is company … etc and should you start with a puppy and as I would, you may well find that the discipline of all 3 suffers. By and large dogs are gregarious creatures and should the puppy bond with the other two and join 'their' pack rather than yours, then puppy-dependant, you may end up wishing for another world!

Our puppies are what we make of them, again breed-dependent, and with focus from you especially through the teenage months, you should be OK, but if you imagine that chucking a puppy in to the existing mix and joining the gang with minimal effort from you to maintain discipline, then you could well have a rocky path ahead. I'm not for one moment suggesting that you would neglect the puppy, on the contrary that isn't the point. The point is that it may well take effort from you to maintain a level of discipline.

If (correction), when :)p :) ) you get this puppy, you do understand the forum rules about pics, I suppose?!! :D

Alec.

Shady

Visit site
OK so everyone tells you that you should go ahead, and who am I to argue with that?! I would though suggest that forewarned is forearmed; Two is company … etc and should you start with a puppy and as I would, you may well find that the discipline of all 3 suffers. By and large dogs are gregarious creatures and should the puppy bond with the other two and join 'their' pack rather than yours, then puppy-dependant, you may end up wishing for another world!

Our puppies are what we make of them, again breed-dependent, and with focus from you especially through the teenage months, you should be OK, but if you imagine that chucking a puppy in to the existing mix and joining the gang with minimal effort from you to maintain discipline, then you could well have a rocky path ahead. I'm not for one moment suggesting that you would neglect the puppy, on the contrary that isn't the point. The point is that it may well take effort from you to maintain a level of discipline.

If (correction), when :)p :) ) you get this puppy, you do understand the forum rules about pics, I suppose?!! :D

Alec.

Alec love, i posted pics of my newbie Weim( well the lovely Leo Walker did for me) and i was gutted that you didn't tell me how gorgeous he was, you being the dogs do da's an all that :D
Your comments are, of course ,correct and young Weims are hard work, i am doing much better with this one and he is a smart cookie but at this point i don't have to worry about old Jessie hound as she is a balanced and gorgeous dog, if i get another pup i will , as you say, have to divide my time between a hard core teenager and a needy pup and i don't think i have the experience for this to get it right, i can't afford to have an undisciplined Weim, they are too formidable when full grown and i have visions of me wading into the puppy mayhem like Ma Fekkin Baker and everything just shutting up in mid bark as i have become a bit demented! :D
Your very astute comment on a club house thread a while ago comparing me to the character from Yes Prime Minister was spot on by the way :D:D xx

Clodagh

Visit site
We have Brandy (10), Tawny (3), Pen (9 months) and I am getting anothe rpup in the spring. not a good idea on many levels, but it is Tawny's mums last litter and I really want one. also, Brandy's working days are numbered and we need 3 that can go out in the field, in an ideal world.
So, my point is, we will have hooligan teenager and pup but they are labs, so easy, and my OH will take on Pen's training. Are you alone with your dog responsibilities?

{97702}

Visit site
Brain dearest, me get a normal dog ?????
i have flying ducks on my wall FFS :D:D xxxxx

You could get a greyhound? :D :D :D I adore Grand Bleu de Gascogne's so I would get another one of those if I were you :) But although puppies are incredibly cute they are the work of the devil as far as I am concerned, get an adult rescue every time and have no problems, no chewing, no house training, no hassle..... ;)

What Yes Prime Minister character were you compared to by Alec? I haven't watched it for years so can only remember the 3 central characters!

Shady

Visit site
Lévrier;13644075 said:
You could get a greyhound? :D :D :D I adore Grand Bleu de Gascogne's so I would get another one of those if I were you :) But although puppies are incredibly cute they are the work of the devil as far as I am concerned, get an adult rescue every time and have no problems, no chewing, no house training, no hassle..... ;)

What Yes Prime Minister character were you compared to by Alec? I haven't watched it for years so can only remember the 3 central characters!

The prime minister i think, he was a dippy, fekkin idiot wasn't he??:D:D

Shady

Visit site
Lévrier;13644237 said:
Oh she has Alec, just by e-mail not on the forum :D :D :D

Hehe , tis true i'm afraid
Couldn't find the tv remote earlier, looked everywhere for it and i had put it under the grill with some roast chicken ( luckily grill was off, pheww)

CT, i really love all the floppy eared scent hounds over here and there are 2 that are smaller than my GBDG, one is the Ariege which has an imput of Bdg blood and is easier to train and very loving, and the Porcelaine which are similar in looks and size, i am not too certain on character, some hounds are harder than others to keep near the house, like the Bruno de Jura . I like the brown german pointers too.

Clodagh.. it would mostly come down to me to deal with another dog, the OH is not really home much except evenings and he's pretty knackered then from building all day, the dogs go with us when we work together or stay with me at home, i do love the idea of another because i adore all my animals but Alec does make a good point about the training, maybe something REALLY small like a Dachshund would work!!

oldie48

Visit site
I must be a bit odd as I am thoroughly enjoying having Stanley on his own. He's the same age as your pup but I don't think he's lonely or sad, just focused on us. When Jake our first BT was 3 we got another BT pup and although they got on they were very independent and tended to be rather jealous of our attention. They didn't play together, they liked us to play with them. They used to sit on the sofa with our huge cat between them. We've had my daughter's young vizla come to stay a couple of times, ATM they just don't get on and it's bloody hard work. I'm hoping as Vizla matures, he'll be a bit more effective at putting Stanley in his place. Good luck with whatever you decide. My daughter is contemplating getting a Weim as well as the Viz, we have told her very firmly that the boarding kennels of mum and dad will no longer be available if she does and having read these posts i certainly haven't changed my mind! Lovely looking dogs though!

Shady

Visit site
I must be a bit odd as I am thoroughly enjoying having Stanley on his own. He's the same age as your pup but I don't think he's lonely or sad, just focused on us. When Jake our first BT was 3 we got another BT pup and although they got on they were very independent and tended to be rather jealous of our attention. They didn't play together, they liked us to play with them. They used to sit on the sofa with our huge cat between them. We've had my daughter's young vizla come to stay a couple of times, ATM they just don't get on and it's bloody hard work. I'm hoping as Vizla matures, he'll be a bit more effective at putting Stanley in his place. Good luck with whatever you decide. My daughter is contemplating getting a Weim as well as the Viz, we have told her very firmly that the boarding kennels of mum and dad will no longer be available if she does and having read these posts i certainly haven't changed my mind! Lovely looking dogs though!

Lol Oldie48, a Vizla and a Weim?, god above, they are brave people!! D'you know ,we were really happy with just Jessie hound, she was so easy and always with us, they are funny , humorous dogs too, great for lifting the spirits , so nice to have around. Everybody told us she needed a friend and that we were mean, and as i walked her or visited friends with lots of dogs i just thought they knew better than me so we got the Weim. I actually think she was happier with just us and the cats . The thing about Weims though is that you either love them too much and can't bear to have another or you love them so much you want another. I'm going to think on it a bit more , it's very easy over here to just stumble on a needy pup, i could probably get a hound tomorrow but i'm going to be sensible for once and see how my current pup training goes, he's a bit of a nut job at the moment too, testing the boundaries of what he can get away with. Thanks for your response xxx

Alec Swan

Visit site
Lol Oldie48, …….. . I actually think she was happier with just us and the cats . …….. . Thanks for your response xxx

An insightful reply. The truth, of course is that dogs need people, not other dogs. OH -- the times that owners think that their dog needs a companion, and they don't realise that the dog already has one …….. them.

Alec.