Need Help! Taking shoe off....

juliehannah58

Visit site
Eeek I need your help!

My horse came in from the field last night and it looks like she has over-reached. Where she has trod on one side of the shoe she has bent it but it's still on! One nail has come out but It's not even loose. Now, the shoe is bent about 1cm off the base of her foot now, so her foot can't lie flat, and although no heat in foot or leg etc it must be very uncomfortable. Farrier was just on his way to a long weekend when i rang so can't get out until Monday and I won't find anyone else before then in my area.

So, I'm thinking I need to get this shoe off ASAP - ANY TIPS? I have never had to remove a shoe before and don't want to cause any damage! I have a few farrier tools, a hoof cutter thingy, a rasp and a little knife thingy - will these help?!
blush.gif

Any instructions / help much appreciated!
crazy.gif

clipclop

Visit site
I would ask around local horse yards. There is always somebody who is a dab hand at this kind of thing.

Especially as the shoe is still tight on.
crazy.gif

Hmmm, I am no help am I?
tongue.gif

C x

katelarge

Visit site
I've had to do this. Rasp down the clenches so they are flush with the hoof. Then get the hoof pullers and start (I think) at the back of the shoe, pulling the shoe off, and working yor way round the hoof. You have to be careful to keep track of any fallen nails as they can tread on them if you leave them in a bed. Best to do it outside on a level surface. If the shoe is not ready to come off you should be prepared for quite a tug!

ljubb

Visit site
be carful! If you do not prepare the clenches correctly u will risk pulling some of the hoof wall off with the shoe. Instead of rasping the clenches down you can raise them by knocking them upwards so that they can then slide back through the holes through which they came. You then need to pull the shoe from heel to toe again to minimise the risk of damaging the hoof.

If you are not confident find someone who is because once you have started you cant stop!!

Rueysmum

Visit site
Another way to do it is to knock the clenches upwards, then pincer them off, then pull each nail out individually by grasping the nail head.

It is incredibly hard though and nearly killed me when I did it!