need help with my new 13 yo

caz1982

New User
Visit site
hi,
I've just started back into riding again after 18 years!!
I'm 32 now I've totally lost all confidence in riding an to be honest remember nothing!!! I've just bought a 13 year old he's 16" 2 and and scared to death of him! (Not his fault tho) he seems a quiet lad, tho a bit ignorant with his head while riding and being led, also while he in lessons with me he refuses to stop and wait. other than that hes a gentleman.
I only had him 3 days an he started to limp on back leg. I since then got him shod, the limping on back has stopped but now I notice since getting his new shoes he is now very forward going, he is tripping constantly. I didn't notice this before as i was taking him very easy due to back leg. I already feel the need to make a will everyday i take him out!! my confidence is at zero and his tripping is making it worse :( Me and him are currently just walking and trotting and the ground is just sand. Has any one any ideas what might be causing him to trip? I want to do what i can to make life easy for both me and him.

Littlelegs

Visit site
Ditto. Get a vet to come & see what's wrong with his back leg & why he's tripping. And find a yard with experienced staff & manager. You shouldn't have been riding him when he was 'limping', & if you lack the experience/ common sense to know that then you need to be on a yard that can guide you.

Elsiecat

Visit site
Get a vet out for the leg and don't ride him again until its been seen to.

Are you at a yard with more confident people? Get some help from them. If not, I'd be looking at moving to one, you could do with the support :)

Oldenburg27

Visit site
Like Brighteyes said get some professional help, could be his feets causing him to trip, but would get the vet out t check him. Did you have him Vetted??

scheherazade

Visit site
thanks for that, will get the hang of it. it took me ages to work out what lol meant when i first started texting, my son is very ashamed! :eek:

Don't worry, my seven year old has taken to rolling her eyes and say "give it here mummy" when I try to put new contacts in my phone! :eek:

caz1982

New User
Visit site
i dont be on here till kiddies in bed sorry, no he was not vetted, the yard i took him to i assumed it was ok! He was bought from a private dealer