Need reassurance - am I doing the right thing?

Stenners

Visit site
I most certainly would not buy him. A horse that spins, bucks and is not 100% when ridden by itself is just going to make you all loose your confidence and will prevent you from happily hacking alone.
He hasn't spun in a long time and that was a confidence thing for him so hopefully we are past that mostly now and he is ok on his own he just looks at a lot more things!

mini_b

Visit site
Thank you!! He's already here as I already have him on loan! :)

D’oh I did know that!
Well - good luck for the vet still stands!
What you’ve said about him sounds great - it all sounds like there’s been a completely justifiable reason for his bucking episodes.

Stenners

Visit site
D’oh I did know that!
Well - good luck for the vet still stands!
What you’ve said about him sounds great - it all sounds like there’s been a completely justifiable reason for his bucking episodes.
Thank you!! Yes I really hope we are done with that now!

tristar

Visit site
you have said he did not get ridden much, so i would look carefully at his diet, and basically make sure he works hard, regularly, with as much variety as possible, when you are on top of his niggles, pelvis etc.

if you feel he is a bit bumpteous, ie looks a bit jumpy, fizzed up etc lunge before riding, or on days he has, say had the weekend off, and you are coming back to him, just test him out, loosen and relax him, before getting on, i find sometimes they will have a good gallop and explode a bit then are fine after, and this is only now and again, but gives you confidence you are on top of things

he sounds like he just has a few rough corners but generally a decent horse

if you cannot give enough time to the ridden work think twice, but it sounds like you have good support, best of luck whatever you decide!

Stenners

Visit site
you have said he did not get ridden much, so i would look carefully at his diet, and basically make sure he works hard, regularly, with as much variety as possible, when you are on top of his niggles, pelvis etc.

if you feel he is a bit bumpteous, ie looks a bit jumpy, fizzed up etc lunge before riding, or on days he has, say had the weekend off, and you are coming back to him, just test him out, loosen and relax him, before getting on, i find sometimes they will have a good gallop and explode a bit then are fine after, and this is only now and again, but gives you confidence you are on top of things

he sounds like he just has a few rough corners but generally a decent horse

if you cannot give enough time to the ridden work think twice, but it sounds like you have good support, best of luck whatever you decide!
Thank you! Yes he's one you can leave in the field for 3 weeks and no different to if you rode yesterday. Currently he's on grass and nothing else as he needs to shift a few pounds!!

Stenners

Visit site
UPDATE!!

Unfortunately he failed the vetting yesterday in quite a big way . I have to say I'm gutted!!
They found he had a Bone Spavin in right hind, (he was 1/10 lame after flexion and and on a circle on the lunge), near fore confirmation is poor (he turns his foot inwards) and she thinks it could be start of ringbone/coffin joint arthritis (hard to tell without x raying but definitely something going on) and said will cause me problems down the road. He also has a very very stiff back. He has a sarcoid and potentially more on the way and his heart rate at rest was higher than it should be fora horse at rest but could be due to the heat (it was very hot) and he's also wary of strangers sometimes but said would need to watch his lungs. So over all - not a great result!

After many conversations with the owner who absolutely loves him to bits and will do anything to ensure he's happy - I am going to carry on loaning him and we will agree in writing that she will be responsible for vets fees knowing how much is wrong with him.

Vet said initially to get hock x rayed/injected and crack on and see how he goes.

eahotson

Visit site
Sorry if I painted a bad picture! He’s now where near as stiff as he was before - so much more supple now!
He doesn’t always buck in company just occasionally and just the once. He hasn’t planted or spun for a long time also but he can sometimes (he’s come on so much since I’ve been riding him) he was previously ridden once a week or fortnight for 10 minutes round the village. He’s was really wasted!
He’s not difficult to hack alone just a bit more on his toes I guess and aware of his surroundings!
He generally is a really lovely horse!

I have always missed having one since having my daughter and I wasn’t actively looking for one to buy but he was offered so I said yes and the sale is heartbreaking for the owner as he’s her pride and joy. It’s helped me tremendously feeling better in myself having me time again! If I wasn’t buying him I wouldn’t be buying anything right now that I didn’t know.
Like I say until recently I’ve had no worries at all!! It’s so annoying!
The vetting might make up your mind for you.

mini_b

Visit site
So sorry to hear hear about vetting results.
Glad you’ve managed to come to an agreement with him!

mini_b

Visit site
Me too! Something positive out of a negative situation!

its nice you can keep going with him.
I know a horse who had awful front end and dished terribly but remained sound til the end.
hopefully these are problems that an be managed with careful work (as she’s said, problems down the road - not now)

sarcoid - keep the flies off it in this awful weather.

stiff back - very sweeping description but is this something that the vet said could be sorted with physio/saddle fit/suppling work etc?

I don’t think he’s a write off but I
wouldn’t have bought him; I think considering you already have a good relationship with him and his owner that it’s not all doom and gloom!

Stenners

Visit site
its nice you can keep going with him.
I know a horse who had awful front end and dished terribly but remained sound til the end.
hopefully these are problems that an be managed with careful work (as she’s said, problems down the road - not now)

sarcoid - keep the flies off it in this awful weather.

stiff back - very sweeping description but is this something that the vet said could be sorted with physio/saddle fit/suppling work etc?

I don’t think he’s a write off but I
wouldn’t have bought him; I think considering you already have a good relationship with him and his owner that it’s not all doom and gloom!

Its a small sarcoid on his sheath so not ideal!

Regarding his back - it could all be linked to his hock and compensating. I've had his back looked at twice in the last 6 weeks and he's definitely improved but yesterday she wanted him to dip his back away and he barely moved.