Need serious help on boosting immune system!!

Malibu2

Visit site
Any ideas on something to boost the immune system...horse is on his 3rd course of antibiotics this month due to new infections! despite being really well looked after, leg cleaned just seems to be prone to infection :(

anything thats proven to help...have been looking at the immune aid and pink powders etc just not sure whether they will actually help...

cant face any more antibiotics!!!

stacie21

Visit site
i used pro pell plus mine kept getting coughs little snotty nose not allergic that seemed to pick him up and no more cough it was his first winter in a indoor barn even when not that cold someone kept shutting door so got stuffy now out side much better it says its a pick me up but never made mine fizzy just gave him the boost he needed

lialls

Visit site
I used Propell Plus as a bit of a boost too. But do know that it can make some horses fizzy so be aware. A friend of mine is using herbal stuff to boost her horse, i think its a pretty long process as havn't seen much progress yet - its been 6 months.

Murphy88

Visit site
How old is he, could he have any underlying conditions that are making him susceptible to infection? Cushingoid horses are much more prone to recurrent infections for example. Your vet may already have thought of this and discounted it, but might be worth having a chat about why they think he keeps getting infections, and perhaps they will be able to advise on either a good immune supplement or possible further investigation.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Kossolian is pretty good and full of B vitamins. Daft as it sounds, you could try some Guinness/Stout even with an egg mixed in; they're all good pick me up recipes but a lot of the time, they just need time to allow them over what ails them.

Pep12

Visit site
Any B vit supplement - Naf EnerG or Propell Plus - advantage to the NAF one is it is just B vits, propell Plus is a broad spectrum so you have to watch for over dosing if you are using other supps or compound feed. Echinacea. Also antioxidants (vitamin E , or natural). Hope he gets better soon. Have you had his blood tested to see if he is slightly anaemic??

Malibu2

Visit site
thankyou for all your replies :)

hes only 6 so hopefully not cushings :)

haven't thought about anaemic...vet just joked and offered a years supply of antibiotics!! :rolleyes:
will look into the propell etc :)

EAST KENT

Visit site
Liquid Echinacia was proven in Eire test runs to boost the white cell count,cheap and proven..what more could one ask?

doodleberry

Visit site
Any ideas on something to boost the immune system...horse is on his 3rd course of antibiotics this month due to new infections! despite being really well looked after, leg cleaned just seems to be prone to infection :(

anything thats proven to help...have been looking at the immune aid and pink powders etc just not sure whether they will actually help...

cant face any more antibiotics!!!

could it be that your horse has built up a resistance to the antibiotics or has the vet changed them due to no response?? speak to naf they have a freephone line which i dont have at hand but easy to find as there are all sorts of things on the market x

proudwilliam

Visit site
Brewers Yeast and Linseed oil did the trick for my boy,
Brewers yeast contains vitamin B's and Linseed oil the cooked sort contains omega oils.

Oberon

Visit site
What is he fed now?

Is your foreage from a regular source?

If so, I would recommend a foreage analysis and then calculate his vit and min balance from this.

Otherwise you are pumping random stuff into him and will just be making expensive urine as the horse may not be able to absorb it.

My elderly horse has poor teeth and had an issue with his immunity last year.

I have just had the above done and he had too high calcium in his diet, which blocked zinc and copper - which affects immunity.

In the meantime you can squeeze two capsules of vitamin E into his feeds (2000iu) and add some herbs with a liver detox.

http://eshop.equinatural.co.uk/epages/BT3755.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/BT3755/Products/010

I am also a fan of micronised linseed (joints, gut, skin) and brewer's yeast (gut health).

Very cheap and worth their weight in gold.

Pink Powder is mainly made up of brewer's yeast with a price tag.....