Need some advice (Yard)

Girl-friend or Boy-friend??!

• Total voters

michelleice

Visit site
Hi all i need some advice about my yard!
my monthly rent is £86.79 a month with addition of hay at £2 a bale (we have to buy yards hay)
yard-

problem is my yard is run down i have no school( small lumpy park that floods in winter we can use but its uneven so don't like using it) fencing's falling down and well park my horse is in has no grazing left.

Ive called and txt the man who runs it for this elderly woman and i also asked for 5 bales to be placed in my pallet (having to feed him hay to supplement some of the grass) Ive asked him to fix downed fence well hole side is loose and need fixed. Ive asked to move him to field that was topped (about 3 weeks ago) and baled for hay as it has more grass than mine and saves me feeding him hay! hes not replied nor has he fixed anything in about week. hes sap post to be up there every day checking fields and fencing i have to do a walk around every day to make sure every things OK, i don't mind doing it but I'm now going up today to fix fence as Ive noticed ragwort growing in field that fence joins to so worried he will jump over and eat it:(. i spoke to the woman that owns yard she has dementia and she said i could move him to the topped field so i did worried now when i go up he will be back in is park with no grazing.

When i first moved on there was a panel missing in my stable which Ben got his foot stuck in and cut his foot i waited 2 weeks (of moaning) for it to be fixed! and i know if i don't do fencing my self today it wont get done, Also i asked for hay a week ago and he said to another DIY livery that he has none left but its lands own hay that owner said we can HAVE not pay for he charges £2 bale not bad and don't mind paying it and they just cut about 40 acres of hay! so i think hes selling hay on side but there is bales in the hay shed but were not allowed to touch them as there is none left???!!!!!!

should i do work he gets payed for? its a nice friendly safe yard horses cannot be seen for road no horsey signs unless you drive up the private road owner and carer on site 24/7 and they allow children on it (i have 2 kids and nephew)

If i am doing his work should i ask to pay less rent?? should i just buy in my own hay?? i really don't know what to do and no other yards in my area have spaces and ones who do are asking for £400+ month!

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
To be honest I'd try & find a place to move to.

Your yard leaves a lot to be desired. The person paid to maintain the yard etc is taking advantage of the YO as she has dementia. You will probably have problems trying to speak to the YO & getting a result unless she has someone who overseas her affairs (has power of attorney). If she has then speak to them as they will be interested to find they are paying money to someone who isn't carrying out what he's paid for.

Until that happens then I thi nk you may have to repair the fences etc yourself, with the help of other liverys? & knock the price of materials off your bill.....kep receipts for everything bought but be responsible in your spending. I doubt if you will be able to be paid for the work without prior authority. At least your horse will be safe.

Good Luck & hopefully the maintenance man will be replaced.
wink.gif

Couloir

Visit site
I'd move. I would have moved after the hole in the stable wasn't fixed. Saving a bit of money is NEVER worth your horse suffering, or you suffering....

sykokat

Visit site
From what you have said, i would definately move. I appreciate that it is cheaper than alot of others but if it is that bad i would definately NOT stay. You may have to pay more somewhere else but peace of mind is priceless, plus there is always the chance that there will be far better facilities for you and your horse to enjoy. After all, isn't that why we have our 4 legged equestrian friends??
smile.gif

kerilli

Visit site
i'd do the work myself and take it off what i paid. if he moans about it, say that you asked enough times and nothing was done.
if he's really taking advantage of the YO, could you talk to one of her relatives about it? seems v unfair on both of you.
if there's a tractor about, you could do some work on the 'park' area where you ride, to level it out more.

equestrian2u

New User
Visit site
it does sound like a bit of a shambles management wise at your yard but i live in south wales and d.i.y livery is pretty pricy at the best yards , however some of these also lose the friendly ness you mention and the rules and regs get almost stifiling no kids ,dogs, no breathing , but that said the yards that sound similar to yours still charge an average of 25 pounds per week including grazing , or mud as the case may be , with the option to purchase hay which is more than 2.00 a bale more near a fiver , so i guess the price your paying is pretty reasonale , however the owner does have a duty of care to its clients especially if you incur vet bills as a result of the yard manager not doing his job , i would be inclined to ask by word of mouth what other yards are around and how much they are paying ,you can they weigh up the pros and cons of moving yards or will it be a case of out of the fat into the frying pan at another similar yard , if all else fails get a yard meeting going with other clients and see what if any gripes they have , and maybe a rota for daily fence checks etc , which would benefit you all , i know it doesnt resolve the yard manager issues and the fact that hes getting paid for the jobs you would be doing but maybe a petion to the owner regarding his lack of care for the yard and the fact that he is not doing his job , might help

michelleice

Visit site
my brother does fencing professionally and there is materials up there all ready so i might get my bro to fence off field for me (old and new)

update yard manager called me 2 day he only has 2 bales(hay shed full of them) hes opened up new fields more and cut f****n grass so he "hasn't got to much" i was like what the hell??!!!!!!! also asked for 2 months rent so i think he knows I'm getting p*****d off with yard and him there for me paying the extra month up front means in stuck there! if i decide to move

MEN!!!!!!

michelleice

Visit site

pepino

New User
Visit site
Leave at once !!!! This kind of establishment gives the horse world a bad reputation, broken fencing, damaged stables, and by the sound of it not enough grass for the horses. ALL LIVERY YARDS SHOULD BE LICENSED !!!!!!!!!!!!. You don't say how many owners / horses are there , have you got written contracts ?? do you get a receipt from the yard manager when you pay him,as to the children / dog senario,have you considered Health and Safety ? what happens if there is an accident??Has the YO/ manager got insurance,have you ? Think on..

michelleice

Visit site
there is 5 of us and dealer who occasionally uses grass for her foals 4 horses pony and mini shelty, yes I'm on a written contract and i do get rent receipts for rent i wont pay without one, I need family yard for my kids (have 2 and adopted nephew) as for health and safety I'm not stupid and i do not leave nor let kids run free around horses.

no insurance in contract she takes no responsibility YO is fantastic but the dementia means she doesn't always remember you

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
found pic of stable

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3214533&l=0b253d8d06&id=584980114
broken pannel b4 it was fixed
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/photo.php?pid=3214534&id=584980114
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/photo.php?pid=3214535&id=584980114
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/photo.php?pid=3214536&id=584980114

what it doesnt show is underneath floor is cobbled and broken (extra bedding down here) and stable slants down then up at door

[/ QUOTE ]

Lovely old stable - and I'd imagine that the floor is easily fixed. Stable mats would then be a great help. I can't see the others (expired).

I assume that if this place is being managed on her behalf because she has dementia, then she has someone looking after her interests generally. Contact them - speak to them of your concerns, and see how you go from there.

Good luck - it looks like rather a nice place from the other photos in your siggy etc. Just sounds terribly run down....

michelleice

Visit site
update- went up there last night to rug my boy up (raining like hell) to find hes moved my horse into a starvation paddock but added about 4 meters to the strip! down the park I'm seriously not happy its not big enough in my eyes for him ill have to take pictures of it today when i go up for some advice! I'm going to start looking at other yards as this is getting ridiculous the mare beside him has 10 acres to her self! and i think its because he gets more cash from her as she has a Shetland on a starvation paddock so that's livery+ grass

I have to give months notice so i think ill buy some electric fence and section off park he was in originally off with tape and posts to keep him away from fence ( destroyed my fly rug that's with no barbed wire!) and feed him hay for now. at least he has park to roam

sundaysmile

Visit site
Good god, move and quickly.
I'm on a competition yard, where we have 2 fantastic schools to use, individual summer and winter turnouts, horse walker, 24 hr assitance and thats all for £108 a month.
The tiniest of problems and you can call someone and its sorted asap.
I also have a 2 1/2 year old and a new one about to arrive and the yard is totally child friendly.
There are lots of lovely yards out there good luck in your search.

michelleice

Visit site
your all going to hate me up update!

Went to do Ben late tonight (9ish?) and bumped into one of the girls on yard she shares park with another livery they have no grass as well she asked YM if she could let her 2 graze between her field and my field that i took him off to give park rest after half was eaten by grazing ponies (3 foals 2 adults) so now my boy who i was going to move back today is stuck in this park as her 2 have run of 2 parks
frown.gif
its driving me nuts now hes more happy with company beside him but i want my boy in bigger park with horses in it! so mad it crazy

JenTaz

Visit site
this sounds as if it is getting ridiculous not fair on your boy atall i think you should get away from there as soon as possioble dont bother with the whole month in advance just get up and go

michelleice

Visit site
pics taken in dark will get better ones 2morrow (taken on mobile)

Broken bit in stable
use3.jpg

use2.jpg

use.jpg

dont know how this will come out but its gate between mare and my horse (take better one in day light)
use4.jpg