Need some perspective on this share situation please

meandmyself

Visit site
I'm really not sure what to do and would appreciate some experienced perspective please.

I recently arranged a loan/pony share of a riding school pony for my daughter. We were at a family event yesterday and went up today to meet him and have a little plod about.

The pony is a 12.2 gelding and is used in the riding school, was advertised as 100% bomb proof and safe (I know no horse is ever 100% safe but that's how he was described!) Daughter is 5, and has been riding in lessons for about nine months. I have experience with horses and have worked with them in the past though I am a bit rusty currently!

He was a bit grumpy coming in from the field this morning but seemed willing enough. Brought him to the yard, groomed and tacked up. Again was a bit grumpy but I put it down to him just not being a "pocket pony" and didn't think too much of it.

Daughter mounted at the mounting block and we headed towards the outdoor school. Pony wasn't very willing to go forwards so popped him on the lead rein. Tack was fine, nothing obvious that would be upsetting him.

About halfway to the school, he did a massive spook - both feet right off the floor, dropped his shoulder, yanked the rope out of my hand and bolted off at high speed. He went directly back to the stable and was very unsettled and upset. Untracked him and asked one of the girls who work on the yard to pop him back out.

Daughter came off over his shoulder and thank God isn't hurt beyond a few bruises. I have a broken hand from the force of him pulling away.

I just don't understand what happened - I am blaming myself but I can't think of anything I did wrong. Daughter was riding quietly, not kicking him or hanging onto his mouth.

I also don't know what to do next - it's £300 a month, and we can only use him after 2pm. The school have said he'd never done that before and have offered us the use of a different pony but to be honest, it's put me right off. School is BHS/ARBS approved. I want to ask for my money back and break the loan.

Sorry if this is a bit jumbled- I'm still very shaken!

Burnerbee

Visit site
Oh dear… I guess you should be glad he didn’t smash your car headlights on the way back to his stable, because he did everything else he possibly could to put you off! Broke your hand?! No, they wouldn’t be getting £300 of my money every month. Hope both of you feel better soon.

teapot

Visit site
Hmmmmm I wouldn't be happy if a rs pony was doing that with a 5 year old. What's the yard set up like? Was he the only one in/on the yard at the time, or it is a busy bustling RS so always something in? They say he's never done it before, but some rs ponies can be utter shits for unspecting adults, regardless of experience levels imho. Not saying you did anything wrong at all, but I've seen the best rs ponies outwit some very experienced humans when they feel like it ;)

Difficult one as understand why you're hesistant - if you swap for a different pony I'd suggest doing a load of ground work first so both you and daughter are comfortable. Bring in, groom, turn back out etc. You have every right to cancel though - put it in writing too if they have an office to deal with. I will say my old workplace had numerous ponies on loan but we never ever loaned to under 7s for good reason.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Could it be that as a riding school pony he isn't used to ever doing anything on his own? This could have prompted that behaviour..

Either way, for £300 I wouldn't be going back. Small ponies aren't usually too hard to find to share, so I'd be looking for something where you are doing someone a favour, it's less money, and there aren't so many restrictions.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
End it ASAP. Neither your 5 year old or you need this pony in your life. If your daughter is still keen it might be worth trying the other pony offered, but only on the strict proviso that if this one is equally obnoxious you will be expecting a refund and to end the loan agreement. Perhaps they could retain a token amount of the £300 for their trouble and count themselves lucky you aren't suing them.

Breather

Visit site
You don't say what help or advice the riding school has offered you on this, so I'm assuming they haven't stepped up to assist you?
If this is the case, then they're, frankly, inept. Walk away! Don't blame yourself, your daughter or the pony. You've all had an equally bad experience - the riding school are at fault.

meandmyself

Visit site
I messaged the yard owner while we were both at hospital getting checked out - he apologised, said he'd never heard of the pony behaving like that before, and said he'd speak to the staff to find a solution.

It's a larger yard, but was quiet and the area we were walking through had nothing going on - no other horses or people.

maya2008

Visit site
Well you won't be able to do anything for six weeks due to your broken hand, so I would end it on that basis (and expect a full refund for this month because it was due to their pony that you were injured). Look for a share privately instead maybe, with a pony used to doing things on its own?

Melody Grey

Visit site
Riding schools can be the best places for ponies to learn all the tricks- my guess would be that particular one has had enough of being yanked around the school every weekend/ evening by stroppy teenagers! (*based on my experience of working in a RS!)

£300 is an awful lot of money for that arrangement. You could keep your own on DIY livery to use any time you like for that!

Wishfilly

Visit site
I messaged the yard owner while we were both at hospital getting checked out - he apologised, said he'd never heard of the pony behaving like that before, and said he'd speak to the staff to find a solution.

It's a larger yard, but was quiet and the area we were walking through had nothing going on - no other horses or people.

Possibly that's the issue- is the pony used to going out of sight of other horses?

Nonetheless, it doesn't sound suitable and given you presumably can't proceed with a broken hand, I'd ask for a refund of your money.

I wonder if it would be better to stick with lessons (at a different riding school?) for a while, and get a bit of current experience for yourself handling ponies to rebuild your confidence, as I can imagine it has been knocked by this. When you're feeling a bit better, I would look for a private share- they're often about for small outgrown ponies, and will cost less than £300 a month!

meandmyself

Visit site
We were told he was fine with everything and was used to mini hacks with just a leader. 🙁

Really wish I could find a private share - the riding school we've been using is amazing but the kids just turn up, get on their ponies and ride and she's really been wanting to do a bit more pony care!

Melody Grey

Visit site
We were told he was fine with everything and was used to mini hacks with just a leader. 🙁

Really wish I could find a private share - the riding school we've been using is amazing but the kids just turn up, get on their ponies and ride and she's really been wanting to do a bit more pony care!
If you’re happy with the lessons, could you get involved with grooming and tacking up before/ after and do own a pony days?

meandmyself

Visit site
They don't do anything like that unless you're an official volunteer unfortunately! The ponies are brought into the school ready tacked, the kids pop on and then they have their lesson. It's a very small yard, and they rehab rescue ponies so are very strict about who's allowed on the yard.

Melody Grey

Visit site
They don't do anything like that unless you're an official volunteer unfortunately! The ponies are brought into the school ready tacked, the kids pop on and then they have their lesson. It's a very small yard, and they rehab rescue ponies so are very strict about who's allowed on the yard.
I can understand the reasoning in this day and age, but a great loss to the children learning to not be around them more.

silv

Visit site
I do think he was fed up tbh - just found out he'd been used all day on Mon for a pony day so was probably totally done with being messed about!
Poor pony, probably totally sour, tired and miserable. Not something you want to deal with and not you nor your daughter's fault. Keep looking.

Fjord

Visit site
I'm not surprised you don't want to handle him again, that must have been very scary. I'd end the share, £300 pm is a lot! Could you advertise looking for a pony to groom and brush, with maybe some riding as well? You'd probably get lots of opportunities for the pony care side of things, and may be able to find one that's rideable too.

Wishfilly

Visit site

Maybe put a wanted ad out on Facebook? If she's keen to just do some care then I'm sure there's someone out there with some small ponies who would love for them to get some extra fuss and attention. And then carry on with the lessons at the riding school you like?

meandmyself

Visit site
I've had ads on Facebook and up in our local tack shops with no success. Went to see a lovely dun Shetland who would have been perfect but her owners changed their mind.