Need some perspective on this share situation please

poiuytrewq

Visit site
A RS pony we borrowed when my daughter was tiny did the same. The biggest leap in the air spook I’ve ever seen.
It was a snake and on getting home he did appear to have been bitten on this fetlock
That sort of thing is the ONLY acceptable excuse imo
Don’t risk it especially not as your paying

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Start going to the local branch of the pony club. You could well find a private share there for a lot less money and meet other parents and children.

maya2008

Visit site
Definitely wanted ad - in your local ‘normal’ Fb groups, not just the horsey ones. Or do what my neighbour did and politely accost the family out riding who always seem to be leading a spare pony!

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
Right, sorry this happened to you. Talk to them again and say you plan on going through their insurance for your injury
Was it first time you had been with the pony? If so someone should have been supervising.
I would imagine a mention of insurance claim would endure a refund. Can only try.
Also when I was a superviser on a RS. We did pony club for the children who did not have own pony. We would do care evenings, tack care evenings work towards PC badges and on a rota the children would have 30 min lessons during the 2 hour session. We taught to muck out, groom catch and lead into yard, tack up etc. all according to age. We would have 2 evenings a week. Grouped to ages 5/9 10/16

Last edited:

Irish-Only

Visit site
I do think he was fed up tbh - just found out he'd been used all day on Mon for a pony day so was probably totally done with being messed about!
Tbh, no matter how fed up the pony is that behaviour is completely unacceptable for a very small child’s pony.
Definitely cancel the contract
Poor you and your little girl ☹️

Annagain

Visit site
I totally understand you not wanting anything more to do with this pony and agree with your decision not to continue with him. You say the riding school has offered you use of another pony. Is this long term or just a short term measure? Would it be worth seeing this other pony if there's very little else on offer in the area? If you've lost faith in the riding school though, I can understand that too.

94lunagem

Visit site
I can totally understand why you are shaken up.

Even if this pony never puts a foot wrong again, you will always have it at the back of your mind and wondering what it is about to do. Your daughter is still very little, there is plenty of time for her to enjoy ponies and you don't want this one to put her off forever. And £300 a month is a lot of money.

I'd give notice on the arrangement ASAP and look for something more suitable.

Parrotperson

Visit site
having spent quite a while teaching in a riding school that mostly catered for young kids here's a few thoughts

The pony sounds very sour to me. Fed up with riding school life. He may have already worked hard the day you arrived to ride him. Or he may have been having lovely time in the field and was cross you disturbed him! Ponies are interesting 😂

I wouldn't be carrying on with that pony. Apart from anything else your daughter will be fearful of it and it won't improve her confidence at all

If they've offered another pony to try then there's no harm in it but I suggest you ask one of the instructors to give your daughter a lesson on the "new" pony on her own before you make any decisions.

The other thing I'd just say is (please don't take offence!) but you have to be careful with young kids when they fall off otherwise you can do as much denting of confidence as the pony. If you ride you fall off. I used to tell my kids "it'll make you a better rider" Pretty sure some of them threw themselves off at times just to prove a point 😂

So not too much fuss when it happens. Obviously make sure they're ok then back to basics. Get back on (only if the fall hasn't been caused by a stroppy pony!) even if only for a walk round. Plenty of praise here. I've seen too many parents making too much of a fuss and then the child won't go near the pony. I had one mum calling an ambulance as I was picking (perfectly happy!) child up and popping it back on the pony. Mum was screaming the whole time! That's extreme but it does happen.

Obviously this was horrible and the pony was extremely naughty and I'm very sorry you were badly injured. The next time she gets on a pony you're probably going to be nervous (and who can blame you!) but you'll have to be very matter of fact about it.

As to £300pm I guess if you ride every day it's £10 per day. But it is excessive. Contact your local pony clubs who may know of a pony you can part loan.

And don't be put off. There's also a lot of good ponies out there. You'll find one. Good luck.

MissTyc

Visit site
£300/month!!

You're welcome to my 14.2hh cob for your daughter lol. More seriously, I'd expect any pony loaned out to a small child to take that responsibility very seriously, even if they have a sharp engine with bigger riders. Yes ANY horse can spook, etc. But to tear away from a leader to the extent of breaking their hand is a whole other level of spook.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
£300/month!!

You're welcome to my 14.2hh cob for your daughter lol. More seriously, I'd expect any pony loaned out to a small child to take that responsibility very seriously, even if they have a sharp engine with bigger riders. Yes ANY horse can spook, etc. But to tear away from a leader to the extent of breaking their hand is a whole other level of spook.
For £300 month they can have a horse each at mine and I would happily do them lunch on their days 🤣🤣

exracehorse

Visit site
With a broken hand you won’t be able to drive. Tack up etc. So perfectly acceptable to cancel the agreement. Had he been ridden already that day and was perhaps saying …. No

magicmoments

Visit site
With a broken hand you won’t be able to drive. Tack up etc. So perfectly acceptable to cancel the agreement. Had he been ridden already that day and was perhaps saying …. No
Too be fair if I was paying £300/month I wouldn't want it ridden by anyone else on my days, but I don't think they were allowed to come before 2pm, so I think you're right.

Spirit7

Visit site
You said he was grumpy coming in? Is he used to being bought in alone while other are out? Could just be a combination of picking up nervous vibes (not saying you were but IF Zhou were pony would know and doesn’t know you) and spring grass….

Breather

Visit site
Tbh, no matter how fed up the pony is that behaviour is completely unacceptable for a very small child’s pony.
Definitely cancel the contract
Poor you and your little girl ☹️
Good comment, but bear in mind that a pony's or horse's behaviour is generally a reflection of the way they're being handled or ridden in that moment.

Breather

Visit site
Good comment, but bear in mind that a pony's or horse's behaviour is generally a reflection of the way they're being handled or ridden in that moment.
I'm blaming the professionals at the riding school; not the pony, the handler or the rider.
When I say 'professionals', I really mean the responsible individual, the head honcho/yard manager, I.e. whomever the buck stops with.

Fransurrey

Visit site
Perhaps I've missed it, but have you been asked to complete an accident form? This is legally required if I'm not mistaken?

Sounds like you're leaning this way, anyway, but yes, I would get a full refund on the basis that you have a broken hand and cannot handle ponies anyway. I would pursue the official volunteer role at your usual riding school. That sounds like a much better deal for both of you.

ETA: as for the pony's behaviour - could be absolutely anything, unfortunately. Sourness at being used in the pony day, Spring grass, first insect bite of the Spring in a tender area, hurt himself in the field or stable...anything!

twiggy2

Visit site
Do your riding school do own a pony days that you can accompany your daughter on?
I qould stick to lessons qhilst your habd heals and possibly put notoces up at tack shops, faceache groups and local yards looking for a pony to spend some time with once a week, to groom and fuss and take your daughter on a little lead rein walk.
I wouldnt want to be forking out £300 a month for a 5yr old to play with a pony once a qeek but to be honest at a good friendly DIY yard there may be other kids to play with too.

Nasicus

Visit site
Slight sidebar, but you said he managed to break your hand as he pulled away. I'm sure you weren't doing so, but just in case you were (or anyone else who happens to find this thread does), please never wrap the lead rope around your hand, even loosely in a large loop, for this exact reason.

Here's some examples:

meandmyself

Visit site
Still nothing back.

I'm frustrated with their lack of interest or response. Honestly thinking at this point I'm going to have to get someone to drive me there so I can speak to them in person.