Need some perspective

Nativelover

Visit site
I know many of you are well versed on the trials of life on my livery yard. But after today I feel ive reached the last straw.
The need of perspective comes from me bring 12 weeks pregnant and badly hormonal, so I don't know if I'm overreacting.

In short, I've been on the yard for 3 years now. Only moved as it's the most access to grazing I can find. On the plus side the yard is beautiful and very well kept. The horse is currently in an inside stable, I've been asking for an outside one since day 1. There have been several times one had come available and for the past 18-24months one has been used as storage. Everytime one has vome available ive asked for it and been given any number of excuses of why not. Now today one has come empty and ive been refused it again. My horse was puffing he was that hot, I nearly fainted whilst mucking out as I got too hot ( but I know that's a pregnancy thing)
To top this off the fields are still not open for the summer and there's no sign of them being. Apparently it's a late summer this year!

I feel at the end of my tether and want to weep in exasperation. My options for moving are very limited, but I will explore them again. I also have a sharer who won't move with me as it will be too far away. I want to move and I want to move today!!!!! Tell me I'm not a crazy hormonal lady!!

meesha

Visit site
You are probably hormonal but in your position I would be approaching yard owner and saying that horse is struggling with heat and that you really love it at the yard but really need an outside stable as you are also now struggling and it will only get harder as your pregnancy progresses. With regards to fields, I wouldn't be happy that they are not open, everything here in Somerset has been out since Easter!

9tails

Visit site
What do you mean by the fields aren't open for summer? Do you mean 24/7 or are you not getting any turnout whatsoever?

What is the reason for refusal of the external stable? We have some ponies that aren't allowed to have a larger stable, as the horses need them. How big is your horse? Maybe that's the reason you can't move? If you don't get on with the YO, I'm afraid nothing is going to change that.

skint1

Visit site
No wonder you're upset. Thing about livery yards though is that it's not about fairness, it's about influence- so if you're happy to go along and not make a fuss you're going to end up with the short stick more often than not. I don't know what the arrangements for turnout are at your yard but I think I would be more upset about the fact the horses weren't allowed out yet. Is your horse in 24/7 with no turnout at all?

Damnation

Visit site
No wonder you're upset. Thing about livery yards though is that it's not about fairness, it's about influence- so if you're happy to go along and not make a fuss you're going to end up with the short stick more often than not. I don't know what the arrangements for turnout are at your yard but I think I would be more upset about the fact the horses weren't allowed out yet. Is your horse in 24/7 with no turnout at all?

This is so true... Mine is in 24/7 atm with no arena and YO's have been out 24/7 for weeks...

Antw23uk

Visit site

This. Sometimes one needs to have a hormonal pregnancy mother of all hell tantrum (hey you got nine months to blame it on hormones so make the most of it!) Start kicking off and keep asking the 'real' reason you cant move outside. Don't do it over the phone, don't do it by text, don't do it via a groom .. GO to the yard owner and if you aren't getting the answer you want beat her with your bump!

This is so true... Mine is in 24/7 atm with no arena and YO's have been out 24/7 for weeks...

Don't even get me started again on this you poor thing! :(

chillipup

Visit site
i think you'd better have another word with YO OP. This is neither acceptable nor fair.

Again, why??? Seems YO really is taking the p1ss here.

Nativelover

Visit site
Thanks everyone, to answer people's questions;

I've spoken to YO on many occasions in the summers about how hot he gets in his stable and that despite me opening all of the windows the air flow is poor. It's total denial and I get told there's nothing wrong with it. When I asked if it was fine why is my horse sweating and puffing?? He's just a hot horse apparently.

I've tried the struggling thing, again today when I asked for the stable. It falls on deaf ears, and even though I repeated her promises to me. Again it made no difference. This time there's someone with two horses coming on and it's not fair to split the horses. The size of horse doesn't seem to matter, the most recent livery that took an outside stable is the smallest horse on the yard.

I'm not a fuss creating person, I've seen the effects of someone creating a fuss and it ends up in vulgar abuse and threats.

The fields being shut refers to us still being on winter turnout. No difference in the fields (never rotated) but the time allowed out. 2 x a week in winter and 24/7 in summer.
All the horses on the yards around are out. So he's in 24/7 5 days in the week.

I've always carried around a huge amount of guilt when he's confined. It stays with me all the time and I can't shake it off. The other liveries don't seem to give a damn, often some don't even bother getting their horses out!!!!!!

Damnation, I feel your pain and I really hope you can find somewhere else very soon. I hope your options of other yards are much more prosperous than mine!!

alainax

Visit site
Find the YO/YM and ask them this " Can I just ask, is there another reason why I cant go to the free outside stable? I have been hoping for one for a very long time now, and to be honest with you myself and horse are not coping too well with the heat in there"

If they give you a rubbish excuse, like it was promised to someone else or something then say "ok, I want to make sure my name is put down for the next outside stable that is available, as we do like it here just getting unbearable with the heat in there!"

Nativelover

Visit site
Find the YO/YM and ask them this " Can I just ask, is there another reason why I cant go to the free outside stable? I have been hoping for one for a very long time now, and to be honest with you myself and horse are not coping too well with the heat in there"

If they give you a rubbish excuse, like it was promised to someone else or something then say "ok, I want to make sure my name is put down for the next outside stable that is available, as we do like it here just getting unbearable with the heat in there!"

I've done this everytime a stable has come available. It's very clear to me that I'm never going to get one as I'm promised one everytime.
I just need to bite the bullet and move! But to where I don't know!

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
Don't blame her stable, agree with her and blame the horse, then ask how he can be accommodated or does she prefer you to leave? At least then you know where you stand.

The turnout situation is ridiculous. Why aren't they out eg 8am-8pm all year instead of keeping them cooped up 5 days a week for 7-8mths? I'd move anyway because of the turnout.

ETA: where to move to if there's nowhere good, write a list of all the things that annoy you the most on yards, then a list of local yards and their pros/cons, pick the yard that will annoy you the least.

Last edited:

Damnation

Visit site
Again, why??? Seems YO really is taking the p1ss here.

No it is not on and 2nd year this has happened, fool me once and all that.. Been reassured they are going out soon. I am looking at other yards but I am in a part of the world that doesn't have alot in the way of decent yards that don't cost the earth..

Damnation

Visit site

The turnout situation is ridiculous. Why aren't they out eg 8am-8pm all year instead of keeping them cooped up 5 days a week for 7-8mths? I'd move anyway because of the turnout.

Also, I live in an area (North Cumbria) with very soggy clay soil. It is common up here not to turn out over winter. It fustrates me no end.

9tails

Visit site
Thanks everyone, to answer people's questions;

I've spoken to YO on many occasions in the summers about how hot he gets in his stable and that despite me opening all of the windows the air flow is poor. It's total denial and I get told there's nothing wrong with it. When I asked if it was fine why is my horse sweating and puffing?? He's just a hot horse apparently.

I've tried the struggling thing, again today when I asked for the stable. It falls on deaf ears, and even though I repeated her promises to me. Again it made no difference. This time there's someone with two horses coming on and it's not fair to split the horses. The size of horse doesn't seem to matter, the most recent livery that took an outside stable is the smallest horse on the yard.

I'm not a fuss creating person, I've seen the effects of someone creating a fuss and it ends up in vulgar abuse and threats.

The fields being shut refers to us still being on winter turnout. No difference in the fields (never rotated) but the time allowed out. 2 x a week in winter and 24/7 in summer.
All the horses on the yards around are out. So he's in 24/7 5 days in the week.

I've always carried around a huge amount of guilt when he's confined. It stays with me all the time and I can't shake it off. The other liveries don't seem to give a damn, often some don't even bother getting their horses out!!!!!!

Damnation, I feel your pain and I really hope you can find somewhere else very soon. I hope your options of other yards are much more prosperous than mine!!

Firstly, it's just asking for trouble with horses always being next to each other when stabled and in the same field.

Secondly, Oh. My. Word! 2 days out a week even now? I don't know where you are but we now have rock hard ground and expect to have 24/7 in a week or so. They're currently out early as you like until 8pm.

zaminda

Visit site
I would find grass livery even if it means no facilities. Sorry but that turnout situation is unacceptable. I would then have it out with yard owner and ask her if she wants you to leave. Personally it sounds like she doesn't want you there and is making life difficult so you leave.

Zoe67

Visit site
Yes it really is a late summer with the 27 degree weather I was sunbathing in yesterday!! My horse is going out overnight starting next week can't believe yours is still in!

fatpiggy

Visit site
You could try playing the pregnancy card a bit with the YO and say you nearly passed out yesterday (ignore how hot the horse got, plenty live in high temperatures and/or humidity without problems) and it really frightened you, blah blah. The YO might then think he or she is potentially facing a personal injury claim and give you the stable. Otherwise, though I'm afraid I'd be looking elsewhere and would definitely consider grass livery because in not so many weeks you probably will want the absolute minimum work to do anyway.