Need to decide - is it right to keep my horses at home in the winter with minimal turn out?

HazelHoney

Visit site
This old chestnut again… I know this has been discussed many times but I am desperately trying to rrach a resolution about whether it is really ok to restrict my horses’ turn out over the winter due to the paddock being clay and pretty much out if bounds for 5 months. They will have open access to two big stables with rubber mats, and a fairly large concrete yard area to wander about in. I could potentially put rubber mats on part of the yard as well. Being totally realistic I can’t see them being able to go in the field any more than a couple of times a week for a few hours - the field is so wet it is like paste straight away anything touches it. I can walk them up the lane every other day and have an hour’s hack a couple of times a week but that will be it. I know many yards where there is no turn out at all all winter so obviously it happens but it doesn’t make it right. However I am torn between offering something that is obviously better than being stabled all the time, but is it acceptable or fair for a few months? Just to add, I haven’t attempted this arrangement yet, at the moment I have to send my horses away in the winter and they come back in Spring when the field is ok. But it’s so hard not having them for 5 months. Sorry it’s the ‘same old’ but I need to make some big decisions. Thank you for any thoughts!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
How big is the yard? Potentially I think this may be a good solution. I would want them to be able to trot across it.

Wishfilly

Visit site
How big is the paddock, and could you sacrifice part of it to be "trashed" in the winter to give them some additional space?

What set up would they have in the alternative location?

GypsGal1718

Visit site
I know it would be hard to not be so close to them but it would be best for them to have more turnout. Best of luck finding another yard very close to you so you can still see them as usual

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
My friend has a riding school in Germany and during the winter her horses are on mud control paddocks all day every day. They are arena sized and not all of the horses are ridden daily so some are exercised and some aren’t. None of them are overweight or stressed so smaller mud free spaces can work.

paddy555

Visit site
will the horses be loose together? are they quiet friends who will enjoy this sort of life and just mooch about quite happily. Also if they are on concrete is there any chance of them charging around and slipping on it.
If they were a bonded pair who will enjoy this sort of lifestyle then to me that would be a positive mark. If they can eat together (forage) and groom each other etc. If you were for example able to put hay out on one side surrounded by rubber mats that would give a nice surface for them to stand on.

You could buy a couple of pallets of mud control mats or similar and make a sand paddock just off the yard, I'm considering it for next year as my fields are clay and are soo wet.
it is impossible to guess at your place but can you do something like this? Does the concrete yard lead onto the field, can you take a small area in as above,
If it is your land could you perhaps put part of a hard surface track (say 15 ft wide) down one side with perhaps a mud rolling area at the top, (obviously there is cost and PP if relevant) can you just fence off and sacrifice a mud rolling area anyway?
Is there anywhere else on your place you could take into the horse area, one of mine for example wanders down the front garden path to another area. You only need 2 strands of electric tape to make a walkway somewhere.

I think if it is a case of sending them away and losing them for 5 months I would try and work out a better way and keep them at home.

Goldenstar

Visit site
If you ride them while it’s not ideal it would work .I would look at if you could grass mat a bit of the paddock and fence to give them a bit of space.
However I had my horses in for five weeks recently without help .
It’s was complicated by it bad timing as the house build was a stage where I had to go everyday .
I have three who live out most of winter and work I had to bring them in January because of the extreme wet.
Oh I had forgotten what it was like to have horses in on your own and do it properly .
And I did have help with exercising some days .
I had forgotten how when you are flat out with things ( like I used to live when I was younger ) how a little thing just tip you into complete madness in a day I had a fall bring in logs hurt my back quite badly ( I broke it when younger and have to look after it ) and having to do them in extreme pain was the pits .
Does that fit into your life style ?

HazelHoney

Visit site
How big is the yard? Potentially I think this may be a good solution. I would want them to be able to trot across it.
Hi there, they could have a bit of a trot. In front of the stables is about 16ft x 35ft (ie, the length of a double stable block) then they can walk round to a big strip of concrete about 16ft wide x 80ft long.

HazelHoney

Visit site
When you say send them away for 5 months, where do they go and what turnout do they get there compared to what you can provide at home?
Hi, they go to a paddock that holds up through the winter. By now it’s bare and trodden but not deep mud, they have plenty of hay. So it’s good for them and but not for me as it’s not near and I can’t really do anything with them due to no hard standing, stables or easy gate access.

HazelHoney

Visit site
How big is the paddock, and could you sacrifice part of it to be "trashed" in the winter to give them some additional space?

What set up would they have in the alternative location?
Hi, I would be happy to sacrifice a trashed area for winter turn out but the field is so wet that it would soon be deep mud, eg, I would be sinking half way up my wellies so they would be in deep mud. This is what happened the first year we were here and did not realise how the field would be.

HazelHoney

Visit site
I know it would be hard to not be so close to them but it would be best for them to have more turnout. Best of luck finding another yard very close to you so you can still see them as usual
This is what I end up thinking but it’s so hard each year and now they are getting older I would like to be able to bring them in occasionally if it’s chucking it down. They are hardy types though and seem to thrive outside

HazelHoney

Visit site
You could buy a couple of pallets of mud control mats or similar and make a sand paddock just off the yard, I'm considering it for next year as my fields are clay and are soo wet.
Hi there, how would you go about making this? Would you put the mats on top of the grass/mud? Or would you need to dig out the top soil first? I’ve looked into how to make a drier patch in the field but it seems that it doesn’t really work unless you do it properly with drainage etc if the area is particularly wet clay which our’s is. Then the cost becomes so much. If mats would go direct on the soil then that would be fairly low cost. It’s good to speak to someone like you who has the same issue. What do you do now in the winter? Do they a few hours turn out?

HazelHoney

Visit site
It's got to be better than standing in the mud and wet 24/7. Your arrangement sounds okay
Hi, well this is what keeps me returning to it as a possibility. As I can keep an eye on them and see them all the time as well. But it does worry me that they can’t have a quick buck and let off steam, even though they are quiet and laid back types they usually have a little jog and buck when going out so I wonder if it’s fair they can’t

HazelHoney

Visit site
If your horses can go out together on the yard and groom each other and wander about a bit I wouldn't be too worried.
Hi, they are quiet types and good friends so this is why I keep returning to the yard solution for the winter as it would be so much better selfishly for me but also I hope there are some pluses for them, ie, no mud and a dry stable

HazelHoney

Visit site
My friend has a riding school in Germany and during the winter her horses are on mud control paddocks all day every day. They are arena sized and not all of the horses are ridden daily so some are exercised and some aren’t. None of them are overweight or stressed so smaller mud free spaces can work.
Hi, thanks for this. I think I would be happy if they had a small turn out arena like your friend in Germany. Unfortunately I can’t give them anywhere that is ok for a quick buck and jog round. I’d have to build a sand paddock which I just can’t afford. Do you think my option of turning out in the muddy paddock for a hour but only a couple of times a week, would suffice? Plus obviously having freedom to wander round the concrete yard and stables

Madd1

Visit site
I think in the winter - especially this one it would be really difficult to find many livery yards/farmers with a vast amount of winter turnout - most places near me are on very restricted turnout (if any) at the moment so you'd perhaps be moving from the frying pan into the fire and having to pay for the privilege. Also any livery costs would perhaps be better put to improving what you've already got so you can keep your horses at home because like me, I doubt you moved to a property with land for your horses only to have to put them at livery for half of the year.
Sounds like a mud matted area and perhaps a shelter of sorts would be a really good investment and then you can keep them at home all year and not have to worry.
Livery yards bring their own problems.
It might seem a big outlay for the mats to start but will make a huge difference.
Mine spend a fair few months in a dry paddock with hay. They're older horses 19 and 13 but I've had to keep them this way for the last few years and they both seem perfectly happy with this arrangement. It's more me that sometimes worries and thinks it's not ideal but needs must.
Good luck with whatever you decide x

gallopingby

Visit site
This time of year is always the worst. I have some who have been out all winter in a big field and they’re looking really well - too well really for the time of year. Normally a couple would have been in and out but they had shoes off in October and have managed fine. The field isn’t looking too good now but was great until the end of January. I also have two in work who are stabled and go out into a small turnout field when the weather isn’t too bad. Some weeks they’ve been in during the day as well as at night, if the weather is awful they stay in. I think you have to do what works for you and not worry too much about what other people think. There are folk with a lot of experience who will be dipping in and out of this chat abd others with very little. They will all have their own opinions of what you should do! People have always wintered horses inside during the wettest months of the year, in some areas it would be difficult to manage without doing so. Some prefer their animals to be out 100% but they might be surprised to discover some farmers who breed keep their weaned foals in for the first winter and others for longer. They won’t necessarily tell you that’s what happens. Whatever you decide if likely to be the right decision for you,

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Hi there, they could have a bit of a trot. In front of the stables is about 16ft x 35ft (ie, the length of a double stable block) then they can walk round to a big strip of concrete about 16ft wide x 80ft long.

Id prefer that to seeing them stood in mud at a ring feeder. Can you put feed in several places to keep them moving round a bit?

Last edited:

Mfh999

Visit site
To me, it all depends on how much land you have to begin with, how it's situated and how you deal with it.
Do you plan to set some aside to make hay later or is it solely grazing? Do your stables lead almost straight out to the grazing or do you have a trek across another to get to your field? I ask because we're on clay too and on the side of a long slope so that all the water drains to the bottom (we've been known to paddle through the fetlock deep stream of water running off the field most of this winter) I've divided my two acre paddock in half but into an L shape for the bit they have had to trash (and they have trashed it knee deep but there is still some nibble of grass on it. They come in looking like they've been dipped in runny chocolate which I totally ignore and allow their legs to dry out in their own time rather than mess about with them and touch wood, in spite of it being our wettest winter yet, not a sign of puffiness or mud fever). I personally would far rather they had a trash paddock than be restricted to just a yard for exercise providing you have stables for night (and very wet days) Once it's dry enough for them to go out in a normal paddock you can rest the trash one, get it rolled and harrowed, throw on a bit of patching seed if necessary and it will bounce back good as new ready for wet times again.
If you really can't afford the space for a trash paddock, I'd use only your smaller yard and bed it down; bark is good for that. I'd prefer bedding to any mats as they can get slippery.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
Hi there, how would you go about making this? Would you put the mats on top of the grass/mud? Or would you need to dig out the top soil first? I’ve looked into how to make a drier patch in the field but it seems that it doesn’t really work unless you do it properly with drainage etc if the area is particularly wet clay which our’s is. Then the cost becomes so much. If mats would go direct on the soil then that would be fairly low cost. It’s good to speak to someone like you who has the same issue. What do you do now in the winter? Do they a few hours turn out?
Mud mats go directly down on the ground. They are virtually indestructible so can be lifted and re-sited if you need them somewhere else. Also hold their value well so can be sold if you no longer need them. Brilliant things.

PurBee

Visit site
This sounds workable for them, especially if they’d be ridden a couple of times a week too, and have a chance of using a trash paddock.

I have a similar scenario, but have extended the dry-lot areas over the years, its a dense rubble footing - which i used to hate and wish for smooth concrete so the yard was easier to keep swept, but having had a few winters with inevitable ice/snow flurries, the rockier footing offers traction, and its sloped, so it drains excess water so there’s never thick sheet ice, when it does happen.
If i had flat smooth concrete areas for turn-out, i’d definitely have a large salt bin on standby to shovel out when persistent ice and minus temps is forecast. Salt lasts a fair few days when spread, so its not a daily chore to do when icy.
Depending on your climate depends on how suitable concrete is. Is it slippy when wet? Many outdoor concrete areas are usually tamped finish to have some traction, and not be icing-smooth, to prevent slippage when wet.

My hot bloodied pair hoon about during better months in the field and you’d think they’d be too spicy to be on a restricted 3/4 acre of dry-lot surface in winter with a large big bedded shelter, but they go into ‘winter mode’ and truly chill-out, get into the new ‘winter regime’ rhythm and are fine. I do have a level-ish sacrificial 2 acre paddock where they get to mud roll and do zoomies, itch on trees, gnaw on bark etc which i use as much as possible, except during the worst stormiest windiest weather. Even 1 hour out they tend to appreciate, even if there’s nothing to eat. On average this year theyve been getting 3 hours out daily this winter, and the rest of their time on rubble tracks/dry-lot with food scattered around. I’d find them always waiting at the gate to come in - some days theyre shouting at me to get them in, as they prefer the dry. Theyve been very easy to handle and deal with.

They used to just have 1/2 acre winter trash paddock turn-out and the dry-lot, and they were fine. That was also with one of them much younger and much more keen to throw shapes! Their mindset does change with the shorter colder wetter days to just be happier mooching around sniffing things, watching the wildlife, eating, pooping, and sleeping.

The trash paddock never gets fully muddy all-over - just the walkways get ankle deep. All fields have a slight draining slope, theyre not dead flat. They know the footing and are careful, and only ever gallop and buck where the more solid grass is. Ive got mixed soils, so there’s some areas very shallow and not slippy, some more clay-like, others deep-bog peat that their hooves never tread-on during winter months. Once you know your land better you’ll know where’s safest to have them trash over winter. I’d choose a slightly sloping field (15-20 degree slope max) so rain is always draining off, even if its raining continuously. The top part of the slope tends to remain grassy. Too much of a slope can be a bit precariously slippy during winter conditions. Dead flat fields can become all over mud-pits, as the soil cant drain-off and there’s no evaporation due to low winter temperatures.

It’s worth trying it at your place for 1 winter, and see how you get on. We’re at elevation of a valley facing the atlantic winter weather head-on, so our winters have always been brutal, which helped teach how best to manage horses during such conditions. Restriction of movement in a stable is completely different to restricted turn-out. They go nuts being stabled long hours, understandably, but fair much better mentally just having room to jog a few paces, and be ‘out’ in a mud-free space, even if that is just hard-standing. You’re riding them too giving them variety of environment, which would help them mentally.

MissTyc

Visit site
This, or even a fenced off perimeter around the whole field so they can go for a stroll.

honetpot

Visit site
I do it every winter, if they have forage and company they seem to be happy. The oldies have access to a barn, their gated barn, and can potter around the yard. The younger ones have a barn and about half and acre, and the others go out in the day in the thrash paddock, which is about 2/3 acre.