Need to toughen up! Highland taking the @%$$

Tronniehead

Visit site
Well after thinking of giving up my loan - glad I have not! After some great advise here!
I have been on a lot of hacks with owners and really boosted my confidence and enjoyment. But one thing the owner said to me is I let him get away with to much, I need to toughen up!

Well out on a hack, on the road have to cut through a field, soon as we hit the field, he is eating grass and I can't control him, other rider is now round the corner I'm fighting to stop him eating! In the end, I decide, may be not wisely to get off and basically drag him through the field. I said to the owner what would she have done, she said kicked him, used the whip, be more forceful and not let him get away with it!

Just seems easier said than done?

I am going to get instructor to come to yard, but at the moment it's like a swamp! Arena is more of a swimming pool! So when it drys out a bit will be on the case.
I try to think like RS instructor at school, I have seen her with a horse that does not do as asked and she has almost very much gone for him!

TrasaM

Visit site
Once they get their head down its difficult to pull them back up. This I was taught by my friend's cob who had the same trick. after being pulled over his neck and jammed in gates whilst he stuffed his face I decided to toughen up. Day 1 of retraining and he got a sharp tap of the crop each time he tried to get his head down. Day 2 .. He thought about it but each time I tapped him lightly on the shoulder to remind him. Day 3 .. He didn't even try. :) However after I handed him back to friend she once again let him get his head down so it was all mostly undone when she rode him. With him it was a case of keeping a contact on the reins and spotting the signs that he was about to make a dive for the greenery. His Favourite trick was tucking his chin in to get some slack in the rains and then quick dive for grass!

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Bridge the reins: that is to say don't hold them in each hand but overlap them, when he tries to snatch, hold the reins in to his neck and he will realise he is pulling against his own strength.

twiggy2

Visit site
pop some grass reins on him, some of them are so strong and consistency is the key to breaking what is a very bad habit, the grass reins are the best way to be 100% in stopping him getting away with it and you don't have to fight him

asmp

Visit site
Try some grass reins. We had a pony who tried to eat all the time and it was exhausting riding him. The best ones I found were the ones that attach from the D ring through the bit and over the poll. There are some on ebay.

Tronniehead

Visit site
Once they get their head down its difficult to pull them back up. This I was taught by my friend's cob who had the same trick. after being pulled over his neck and jammed in gates whilst he stuffed his face I decided to toughen up. Day 1 of retraining and he got a sharp tap of the crop each time he tried to get his head down. Day 2 .. He thought about it but each time I tapped him lightly on the shoulder to remind him. Day 3 .. He didn't even try. :) However after I handed him back to friend she once again let him get his head down so it was all mostly undone when she rode him. With him it was a case of keeping a contact on the reins and spotting the signs that he was about to make a dive for the greenery. His Favourite trick was tucking his chin in to get some slack in the rains and then quick dive for grass!

One of his tricks is to bend his head to scratch his front leg and then he dives for the grass! So crafty!
P